Your top 5 players who got you to love hockey?

Habsfan89

43 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Ok.  Mixing him up with another trade - I thought we gave up 1st rounders a few times Dir guys past there best before dates (tangauy is the other guy I was thinking of.  

Trevor Linden maybe?  He was washed up and the Habs still gave up a first rounder for him back in '99.

31 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's not about judging Neech, nor blaming anyone for liking this or that player. But if you track this thread, you find old-timers giving names like Richard, Beliveau, and Harvey...then slightly younger-timers talking Lafleur, Robinson, Dryden, Gainey...then middle-agers like me talking Roy, Carbonneau, Naslund, Muller...and then suddenly we get to fans whose formative memories are of guys like Begin, Bonk, and Bulis. Basically, it's a long slide from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Hey, I was a little surprised to see those names too but there are fans out there who love role players or perhaps it was a little tongue in cheek, only Neech knows for sure. 

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Trevor Linden maybe?  He was washed up and the Habs still gave up a first rounder for him back in '99.

Giving up a 1st round pick for a washed up player,  thank god we have a GM now who  would never make a foolish trade like that!!  Sorry, a little bored in self isolation and felt like stirring the pot a bit. Please ignore. 

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No offence, but that is one depressing list! 😞

Was a joke, I'm like you in that it wasn't specific players but the team that got me into hockey.  The Habs of that era was the first squad I became deeply invested in, and it was funny to remember how much I cared about these scrubs.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Ok.  Mixing him up with another trade - I thought we gave up 1st rounders a few times Dir guys past there best before dates (tangauy is the other guy I was thinking of.  

Trevor linden cost us the 10th overall pick (Branislav Mezei).

That said, that draft was terrible with only the sedins, tim connolly (5th) Barrett Jackman (17th), martin havlat (26th) were any good amongst the first rounders. Top 6 fwd, top 4 d.

19 hours ago, Neech said:

Radek Bonk: Solid defensive C who sadly never got the Selke consideration that was his due.

Mike Johnson: The Robin to Bonk's Batman.

Jan Bulis: 4-goal game! Who could forget.

Steve Bégin: All heart.

Mathieu Dandenault: Mastery of all positions on the ice, up and down the lineup (mostly down).  Should have gotten a shot to fill in at goalie to cement his legendary status.

This, but unironically. Loved Begin, Bonk, and Johnson. Pretty sure I had a few conversations with Brian with me marveling at Dandenault's versatility (while he questioned his decision to have me write articles for the site.)

Hate Bulis though. The original 2nd line tease.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a little boy, there was only one team. The habs. My family were die hard habs fans. Guy Lafleur was my hero.  Roy made me a true hockey fan in my teens and early adulthood. Koivu made the list the day he got his standing Oh. I know it was about more than just hockey, but the emotions I felt that day are still with me  when I think about it. And now Ovechkin with that pure goal scoring ability and Crosbys incredible all around play keep me loving the game. Those would be my 5.

Andrei Markov retired today and while he did not make anyone’s list here as far as I know, he easily could have. 

If I had played hockey as a defenseman more often than sporadically throughout the years, I’m sure he certainly would have made mine. I put Koivu on my list, but Andrei Markov was just about an equal in terms of value brought to the quality of the club. 

• 3 weeks later...