Gainey's changes

Peter Puck

To Mr. Beckham Houle..........Sorry I meant Mr. Beckham. Houle was garbage and with Mario made me sick. They were terrible choices for both positions and did not deserve it. They were unproven and had zero experience. Houle went from Taste-tester with Molson to G.M. and Mario went from Laundry boy to Coach ?? What the hell were we thinking. But wait !! I do not blame them, I blame Corey and the Board as they were both hired as they were cheap and we were trying to save money. So hire a few ex-players as the fans will love them and how could they possibly screw up ? Well they did and so Did OWNERSHIP !! So let's stop blaming Houle and Tremblay as I would almost guarantee that the only decision they made was when they went to bed and ate supper !! Let's get off this thread and get back to the positives the Habs will provide us with this year!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good call, there. Corey is the real criminal for hiring those dorks in the first place. Tremblay and Houle were just hapless patsies trapped in jobs for which they were grossly unqualified. I'm sure Houle still has nightmares about his five years of making Mike Milbury look like a genius (Tremblay gets no sympathy from me, but I do feel bad for Houle on occasion; it's not his fault he was incompetent).

FULLY agree: Corey was the moron who was really responsible for castrating the greatest sports franchise in the world. One can sympathise w Houle in that he was given a job he wasn't qualified for, but corey just sat back and watched houle and tremblay destroy the team step after step. I can honestly say that I absolutely DETEST that man!! He also should have fired Serge Savard after that INSANE trade he made; Chelios (AND a second round draft choice....can you believe it ?!!) for a clearly declining Denis Savard. For 14 years I've been screaming for the Habs to hire Scotty Bowman as GM. I"m convinced Scotty would have delivered at least 2 more cups to Montreal since 93 had he been in charge of the team. (I'm happy with Gainey though I think he's too conservative, eg: our defense is an obvious weakness but he's resting on the hope that our D will play up to and beyond their abilities +/or , that the young guys will develop very quickly...Komi, Hains + Streit. Yet we lack a bonafide #1 or even 2 D man in my opinion). Good discussion you started Beckam...... even though you obviously enjoy stirring the pot !

sakukoivumc11 has exactly said what I was thinking. It is always too easy to blame the coach, coaches, or GM when it is the president of operations that did the hiring. I got trapped in thinking with the Trembly and Houle in charge they were the biggest problem. They should not have been hired in the first place because they did not know what they were doing. I watched both guys play hockey and have a great respect for both.

beckham, as much as I like some of your posts, do you actually think Bondra is a hockey player? He could not even score on a gifted team like Ottawa. Bondra will get 7 points this year so yes Kovalev will be 9 times better point wise.

:hlogo:

Bondra is getting old but he is still a good hockey player. He will definitely be worth his money more than Kovalev but Kovalev is definitely a better player. Actually before the FA period I was thinking that the Habs can get Bondra for cheap. This was cheaper than I expected. Of course I didn't want him anymore after we filled up our roster with the new guys.

Savard was the one who traded away Chelios? I always thought he had been a good GM. Atleast the Habs were a good team under his rule and I believe own a cup wiht him in 84.

Originally posted by Makh2o

That would have been '86....and again in '93......Not sure if he was around for the '80 win.....I know I wasn't! :)

I knew it was one of those two! But for some reason when I think 86 I think Oilers. Hmmm....

From the trades Ive seen Serge Savard make he didnt seem like the greatest GM the Habs have ever had. Gainey is my favourite that Ive ever seen.

Originally posted by beckham

You guys conveniently forget he took over a team that the previous season had the worst record in 50 years in Montreal, I think. The team of "stars" that Savard put together (putting the team on the verge of bankruptcy) missed the playoffs and started the next year 0-5. That "great" team was a shambles of overpaid, overfed egos that was sucking up Molson's money like there was no tomorrow.

Serge Savard was FIRED, by his patron M. Corey and the fat drunk with the giant turd sized cigar popping out of his face has not been considered for another hockey job since. Reggie righted the ship, cut the payroll by half, got rid of that steroid driven time bomb Roy, made some terrific bargain free agent signings like Zholtok, Petrov, Bouillon etc. and still has a better record than the second "Savardian Stupidity" to hit Montreal, "Bon Homme" Andre.

A. Savard proceeded to undo all the good work that Houle had accomplished, jacked up the payroll and drove new owner Gillett to the verge of bankruptcy with inflated contracts given to a lot of local over the hill players. A. Savard is still hanging around only because Boivin gave him fat contract when he was G.M. and they want to get something for the money.

this guy beckham all he seems to do is spew out garbage. this guy in no way represents habs fans and surely is not one. he talks like a raving lunatic and definitely is a band wagon leaf fan you can tell by his moronic comments because as we all know moron=leafs fan. as far as gainey goes keep doing what you doing man we are all "real habs fans" excited as all hell about this year and our future!!!

You guys conveniently forget he took over a team that the previous season had the worst record in 50 years in Montreal, I think.

:nono:

beckham, you dont think and that is the problem here. You make no sense in some of your posts and to attack people is not the :hlogo: Canadien Fan way. In order for a team to do well I have agreed with you that top management, coaching and assistant coaches make the difference in a winning organization. It has more than frustrated me in the past.

The Canadiens have won more cups than any other team. Serge won two running the big big show! You have won what exactly? So the team has the odd bad year, it is a cycle with all teams DUH! Bob Gainey is changing this organization for the good, for the fans and to bring back Lord Stanleys Cup to Montreal.

If you have ideas and information to share can you could do it if you wanted without attacking people. Only a suggestion which you will probably ignore. The organization is now on a solid foundation with a good management team at the top. Does not leave you with much to complain about now does it......

Edit: Corrected the quote - please be sure that your quote of another post is working, use the preview function if necessary. Thanks.

[Edited on 16-9-05 by HABS Fan Nr.1]

Peter Bondra just signed for $500 k. I guess that Kovalev will score 9 times as many points next season, no problem.

Based on that logic, the Habs should go sign 24 players at $500K each and have a $12M payroll. At the end of the season, when they only win 15 games, Gainey can say: "Well, we won half as many games as the Leafs, but they spent 3 times as much money, so we actually did better than them."