NHL ON SATELLITE RADIO

shortcat1

TSN.ca has announced the following:

" Less than a month after signing a TV deal with Comcast, the NHL has inked a long-term radio contract.

On Monday, the NHL announced an exclusive 10-year, $100 million agreement with XM Satellite Radio. The network will become the league's exclusive satellite radio broadcast partner in 2007.

XM Satellite Radio, which has over 4.4 million subscribers, will begin broadcasting NHL games on opening night, October 5.

Last month, the league announced a multi-year pact with cable giant Comcast, which will televise at least 58 regular-season games on its Outdoor Life Network. XM Satellite Radio will cover over 1,000 games per season, including the All-Star Game, the Stanley Cup playoffs and the Stanley Cup Final.

"We're delighted to have XM as our newest satellite radio partner," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said. "At this exciting time in the league's history, a new partnership with XM allows us to offer hockey fans unprecedented NHL coverage on the nation's largest satellite radio service."

XM will create a dedicated NHL radio channel, which will be available in Canada through its partner Canadian Satellite Radio. CSR, which is funding a portion of the agreement, recently was approved by the Federal Cabinet as a licensed distributor of satellite radio in Canada.

"We are thrilled about the National Hockey League's decision to partner with XM Satellite Radio," XM president and CEO Hugh Panero said. "The clear winners of this partnership are the millions of hockey fans in the U.S. and in Canada who are incredibly passionate about their favorite NHL team and who will now be able to follow them regardless of where they call home."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=136121

So, for those of you who can't get TV NHL hockey, this could be an option.

Actually, I was quite happy with the old arrangement . I was able to get tape-delayed games off of NHL.com and catch the odd game on CJAD.

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

please tell me this does NOT mean that CJAD will stop its internet radio broadcasts of Habs games.  

No, it doesn't seem so - that's what CJAD posted on their site:

CJAD 800 welcomes you to THE NEW ICE AGE. Keep it locked on the Official Voice of the Montreal Canadiens for all the latest from Training Camp starting September 13th. CJAD will provide you coverage of every Canadiens pre-season game at what will be an unprecedented Training Camp.

Hopefully that it will be also for the regular season ...

Wow, glad to see CJAD is still broadcasting :hlogo: games.

I now have Center Ice and RDS so I am set never to watch a Leaf game again. (Unless I need a comedy show to brighten my day) I really like the French sports station RIS too. These guys are loud and exciting with the highlights. I am now going to have to learn the French Language as my high school French is limited.

Is anyone here going to sign up for Sat. Radio? I thought of it in the past if it ever came to Canada, just not sure if I can justify the luxury. Radio is fun and have enjoyed years of CJAD.

Guys,

I emailed Rick Moffat - Sports Director at CJAD and he replied back 2 days later. Awesome. He mentioned that they will have live play-by-play of the pre-season games as well as regular season.

They rock!

Originally posted by ddawwidd

CJAD here :) I've become quite attached to this radio station. Waking up at 2am (time difference) and listening to the game with a hot-dog and net conference with other fans... unforgettable :)

Whew! CJAD still on, that's good. As for the time difference, Tokyo works out well, most games start around 9:00 a.m., so no midnight wakeup, it's a nice way to start the day.

BTW, you guys probably know Dino Sisto won't be back, as he given a major misconduct for stalking some female Bell Center employee so it seems.

This is from callofthegame.com:

Montreal Canadiens

Moffat to call English play-by-play

Rick Moffat will take over for the deposed Dino Sisto as the English voice of the Canadiens on CJAD-AM 800. Moffat, a 44-year old Lachine, Que., native, made his debut during the 2004 playoffs. With more than 20 years of sports radio experience, Moffat covered the CFL's Montreal Alouettes since the club's rebirth in 1996. Moffat began his play-by-play career with the Montreal Machine in what is now the NFL Europe.

Thu 04 August 2005 -

I wonder who will do color commentary, anyway we'll find out Sept 18, Thrashers are the first preseason opponent.

:ghg:

Originally posted by les_glorieux

i've always just watched rds. can you listen to the CJAD broadcasts on the internet?

ps: sorry if this is a dumb question.

Yes you can log on and listen to CJAD online, free! That's what we far-flung fans have had to settle for for years, as we have no source for watching the game.

But, if you plan to watch RDS with the sound turned off, and use the CJAD internet stream for the play-by-play, you should know that many posters have reported there is a delay of some several seconds between th eone and the other, they don't sync up so it might not work out so well. Better to brush up on your French, there is not a whole lot of vocabulary involved in hockey broadcasts!