Andrei Markov Retires #79

xXx..CK..xXx

Thank you for your service #79

My fondest memories of Markov include his rye smile, as well as his infamous cross ice pass on the power play to whoever was fortunate enough to have a left hand shot on the right wall at that point in time. Gaping net open, all they would have to do was hit the target he set up for them. 

I hope to see him in the organization sometime in the future. 

All the best 😁

Link to an article but not where I found out the news: https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/mobile/former-habs-defenceman-andrei-markov-hangs-up-his-skates-1.4899312

PK’s body didn’t keep up with his ego, Markov was healthier for a longer time than PK

I liked Markov and it was clear he was under appreciated. I soured on him when he didn’t resign with the team,  but his better days were behind him. He typifies for me the CH of the first decade of 2000: exceeded expectations and was exciting to watch but never a contender

• 3 weeks later...

Does Markov make the Hall of Fame?

I say: if he had played for a good organization that had competed over multiple playoff runs, he would have had a chance.

Because he played for a POS organization which made two decent runs over his entire career, he won't.

But he was, very quietly, probably one of the 10 best d-men of his era.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Does Markov make the Hall of Fame?

I hope not, Carbo making it was bad enough. Neither deserves to be there.

Sweet Jesus how low a bar you want?

57 minutes ago, DON said:

I hope not, Carbo making it was bad enough. Neither deserves to be there.

Sweet Jesus how low a bar you want?

Zubov and Recchi are in there too. So is Dave Andreychuck (!). By that standard, Markov should be a shoe-in! Unlike in baseball, which seems to have a fairly coherent set of criteria, there's a random aspect to the NHL HoF.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Zubov and Recchi are in there too. So is Dave Andreychuck (!). By that standard, Markov should be a shoe-in! Unlike in baseball, which seems to have a fairly coherent set of criteria, there's a random aspect to the NHL HoF.

I know, there are numerous that I wouldn't have voted for.

Rod Langway was the 1st one I couldn't believe, he had all of 51 goals in almost 1,000gms... and played on shitty teams his whole career. 2 Norris trophies and being an American got him in I guess?

Recchi has the career #s and Zubov was similar to Markov, but his 770pts (71pts in 78gms in 2005) musta did it for voters and don't disagree, he was pretty slick passing d-man with 2 rings.

24 minutes ago, DON said:

I know, there are numerous that I wouldn't have voted for.

Rod Langway was the 1st one I couldn't believe, he had all of 51 goals in almost 1,000gms... and played on shitty teams his whole career. 2 Norris trophies and being an American got him in I guess?

Recchi has the career #s and Zubov was similar to Markov, but his 770pts (71pts in 78gms in 2005) musta did it for voters and don't disagree, he was pretty slick passing d-man with 2 rings.

For the record, I'm with you in preferring a highly restrictive set of criteria - only all-time greats should be in there. Names that give you goosebumps: Orr, Gretzky, Hull, Beliveau, Lafleur, and in today's era, Ovechkin, Crosby, McDavid, Price, Kotkaniemi, etc

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, DON said:

While I am not defending his HoF nomination, Langway was an awesome defensive defenceman. Not much scoring, but that was not his game, that should not determine his worth.

I was disappointed when the Habs traded him, and from a purely hockey perspective we should have never made that trade. But the economic situation was bad back then, and Langway pretty much forced Grundman into making the move.

11 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Markov should have his number raised and retired, and I'll fight anyone who disagrees. 

Then meet me in the parking lot at 5:00! He had a great career, but for this franchise to retire his number would be a disgrace.

13 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Markov should have his number raised and retired, and I'll fight anyone who disagrees. 

Yes agree, hang #79 up in rink, but just cant see Hall of Fame.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Yes agree, hang #79 up in rink, but just cant see Hall of Fame.

You guys have it backwards.

Jersey retirement is a much greater honour than the HoF.

Moreover, this is the Montreal Canadiens we are talking about, not the frigging Columbus Blue Jackets. Only absolute all-time greats get their numbers in those rafters. Just like (as Price said) we don't hang divisional or even Conference championship banners up there. We don't commemorate very good years; we commemorate championships. Neither should we hang the numbers of very fine players. Only Great Players. Again, it is a more select company than the HoF. All you have to do is look at the names to realize that. No Mark Recchi or Dave Andreychuk there.

If they retire Markov's #, that would be the final domino to fall for this once-proud organization. It would be a public declaration that yes, the Habs really are just another middling, mediocre NHL franchise, like the Florida Panthers. NO G*DDAMNED WAY, says I.

Let him have Andrei Markov night. 

He gets to come to the Bell centre, get a standing ovation. The team will give him some gifts.  Play a highlight video. 

No banner in the rafters. No retired number.

Seems a fair compromise.

I mean they did it for Saku.

• Upvote 1

Well  at least Andreychuck played long enough to rank like 15 all time for goals  and 29 all time for points. Was also a team captain and a SC winner.

He's not  THAT out of place in the HoF, IMHO.

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Let him have Andrei Markov night. 

He gets to come to the Bell centre, get a standing ovation. The team will give him some gifts.  Play a highlight video. 

No banner in the rafters. No retired number.

Seems a fair compromise.

I mean they did it for Saku.

Agreed.

The Habs should consider emulating the Canuckleheads on this front. Vancouver has a "Ring of Honour" to recognize players who made a huge contribution but are not at the level of jersey-retirement. (This despite Van's comical decisions regarding jersey retirement, with dubious choices like Stan Smyl and Markus Naslund being up there, LOL). Given that the Habs have been a middling franchise for decades and are likely to be one for decades more, this seems like a sensible compromise path that won't lead to a degradation of what's up in the rafters.

On another note, the only player after Roy who deserves even the slightest consideration for jersey retirement is #31. And even him, I'd be unsure about, unless he wins a Cup (which is highly unlikely).

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agreed.

The Habs should consider emulating the Canuckleheads on this front. Vancouver has a "Ring of Honour" to recognize players who made a huge contribution but are not at the level of jersey-retirement. (This despite Van's comical decisions regarding jersey retirement, with dubious choices like Stan Smyl and Markus Naslund being up there, LOL). Given that the Habs have been a middling franchise for decades and are likely to be one for decades more, this seems like a sensible compromise path that won't lead to a degradation of what's up in the rafters.

On another note, the only player after Roy who deserves even the slightest consideration for jersey retirement is #31. And even him, I'd be unsure about, unless he wins a Cup (which is highly unlikely).

The Bell Centre has a ring of honour.  There are pictures of players at the top of the 400 level.  It is reserved for anyone who played for the Habs who makes the Hockey Hall of Fame.

this is the issue with jersey retirement being reserved for only the best of the best of the hall of fame, and being a greater honour than the hall of fame... you have hall of famers now in the ring of honor who don't have their jerseys retired... guys like Lapointe, Toe Blake, Scotty Bowman, Bill Durnan, Georges Vezina, mahovlich, reardon, selke, etc... who never got the jersey retirement but did get the hall of fame.

54 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The Bell Centre has a ring of honour.  There are pictures of players at the top of the 400 level.  It is reserved for anyone who played for the Habs who makes the Hockey Hall of Fame.

this is the issue with jersey retirement being reserved for only the best of the best of the hall of fame, and being a greater honour than the hall of fame... you have hall of famers now in the ring of honor who don't have their jerseys retired... guys like Lapointe, Toe Blake, Scotty Bowman, Bill Durnan, Georges Vezina, mahovlich, reardon, selke, etc... who never got the jersey retirement but did get the hall of fame.

Yeah, I just don't see it as a "problem."

The Habs used to reserve jersey retirements for bona-fide superstars. With the additions of players like Lapointe, Emile Bouchard, and maybe even Cournoyer and Gainey, they've tiptoed towards "mere" all-stars. That's far enough. As for Blake, Bowman, Selke - they made their mark above all as managers, not players (though Blake was a pretty good player).

I didn't know - or forgot about - that "Ring of Honour." The Canucks' version seems to be much higher-profile, and usually membership is accompanied by a night honouring the inductee. It's a big deal the fans routinely talk about. If I remember correctly, there is also signage in the arena itself (not just the concourse) honouring people in the Ring.

So I say, reboot the RoH as something which can include non-Hall of Famers, induction into which comes with a "night" celebrating that player's achievements. That's where you put Saks and Markov and maybe eventually Gally.

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Then meet me in the parking lot at 5:00! He had a great career, but for this franchise to retire his number would be a disgrace.

I was a big fan of Markov, he deserves to be honoured but to retire his number would be going a little too far. I think retiring numbers should be for those who achieve legendary status (maybe that's hard to define).  Markov was a huge part of this team and certainly deserves recognition. 

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You'll be The Chicoutimi Pickle when I'm done with you!

Markov was arguably the most important player on the Habs post 2005 lockout. It's not his fault his prime happened at the same time as Nicklas Lidstrom's. Honour the damn man!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You guys have it backwards.

Jersey retirement is a much greater honour than the HoF.

Moreover, this is the Montreal Canadiens we are talking about, not the frigging Columbus Blue Jackets. Only absolute all-time greats get their numbers in those rafters. Just like (as Price said) we don't hang divisional or even Conference championship banners up there. We don't commemorate very good years; we commemorate championships. Neither should we hang the numbers of very fine players. Only Great Players. Again, it is a more select company than the HoF. All you have to do is look at the names to realize that. No Mark Recchi or Dave Andreychuk there.

If they retire Markov's #, that would be the final domino to fall for this once-proud organization. It would be a public declaration that yes, the Habs really are just another middling, mediocre NHL franchise, like the Florida Panthers. NO G*DDAMNED WAY, says I.

100% agree.

i loved Markov and Koivu theY were the most consistent and best of the post Serge Savard team retired players. But neither are hall of famers or should have their jersey retired. Give him a Koivu type appreciation night.

And even an appreciation night from the habs should be more meaningful than other teams.  Otherwise we truly will become the leafs honouring Tie ####ing Domi. 

this is the habs. You at least need to win the cup. Price will probably get in the HOF, but needs a cup to have his jersey in the rafters.

8 hours ago, Trizzak said:

You'll be The Chicoutimi Pickle when I'm done with you!

Markov was arguably the most important player on the Habs post 2005 lockout. It's not his fault his prime happened at the same time as Nicklas Lidstrom's. Honour the damn man!

I forgot all the years Markov finished #2 behind Lidstrom for the Norris. He’s the best dmen they had since chelios, but will not even be a hall of famer, so how do you retire his jersey?

markov night. Hand out Markov bobbleheads, but no jersey in the rafters.