Youppi is part of the habs (pix included)

bebehabs

habs will present their really FIRST mascott this friday!!!!

Il n'y a pas que sur la glace que l'on verra de nouveaux visages cette année avec le Canadien, puisque vendredi après-midi, le Tricolore nous présentera la toute première mascotte de son histoire. Il n'y a pas eu de fuite, pour le moment, mais certains pensent que l'équipe montréalaise a réussi à récupérer les services de Youppi!

source : http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/187938.html

OH MY GOD!!! if it's YOUPPI, then i will be shocked :S hahaha~

let's see what's gonna happen tomorrow guys!!! :clap:

EDIT: Title is for title, Message for message :/)

[Edited on 2005-9-16 by sakiqc]

---

OK! so it's confirmed : YOUPPI is part of the habs!!!

187988.jpg

Youppi's official adoption certificate

4348_1.jpg

Youppi is taping his new tool : a hockey stick hehe

4348_3.jpg

Gainey seems to appreciate Youppi very much

youppi_patsgainey325.jpg

pix : courtesy of : canadiens.com and rds.ca

well, i think that for the KIDS (lil fans), it's gonna be fun to have Youppi with the habs~ like... everybody know who Youppi is and it's gonna be fun to see him around~ Youppi is very popular u know?? hehe :king:

[Edited on 2005/9/16 by bebehabs]

Well, I've had really cruddy results on my attempts at the 6/49 (as I should statistically, really) so I'm going to put my $2.00 on Youppi!

That's the name that's been batted around for a long time, especially in the French press in Montreal. It makes sense too, really. Youppi is part of the Montreal sports scene tradition with his association with the Expos.

So, what odds will you give me? Eh? Eh? Eh? Eh? ;)

yup, rumours for a long time are that it's going to be Youppi!

Should be a good mascot, and with his size and spirit (Youppi! holds the distinction of being the first mascot ever ejected from a baseball game), we could, what the heck, give him a shot with Ribs and Ryder on the second line!

Youppi-RFK.jpg

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

[Edited on 16-9-05 by JeanLucPilon]

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

(Youppi! holds the distinction of being the first mascot ever ejected from a baseball game),

Youppi-RFK.jpg

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

[Edited on 16-9-05 by JeanLucPilon]

I REMEMBER THAT GAME!!!!

It was at the Big O, against the Dodgers. Game went to 22 innings!!! At some point, Youppi was on the Dodgers dugout, Tommy Lasorda came out and started yelling at Youppi so the ump comes in and ejects Youppi from the game! CLASSIC!

Seriously - i still can't believe it's Youppi! I like the idea, but it's kind of risky - I mean - the Expos sank (or were sunk) and Montrealers didn't exactly rally around the team. Youppi!'s brand had to be tarnished as he is associated with bad memories for those who are glad the Expos are gone or bad memories for those who with the Expos never left. The only way this is a good move is that it saves money by not having to create a new character, and the hope and prayer that there are enough Expos fans from the 80s and early 90s to remember and cherish the good old days.

I think it's risky - I probably wouldn't have done it or recommended it - but, I do like it!

Originally posted by Trizzak

That orange fur and red jersey really don't look good at all.

Ugh, you're telling me. Maybe the white would look better?... ayech.

I think he needs one of those tuques (one most remembered by the Theo's pick wearing it in the out-door game vs Edmonton last year).

I think he needs one of those tuques (one most remembered by the Theo's pick wearing it in the out-door game vs Edmonton last year).

hehe yeah i'm agree! maybe he's going to wear a toque (theo's pompon toque ;)) when it's going to snow? like... in december or sumthing~

:-^

Originally posted by LifeLongHabsFan

Seriously - i still can't believe it's Youppi! I like the idea, but it's kind of risky - I mean - the Expos sank (or were sunk) and Montrealers didn't exactly rally around the team. Youppi!'s brand had to be tarnished as he is associated with bad memories for those who are glad the Expos are gone or bad memories for those who with the Expos never left. The only way this is a good move is that it saves money by not having to create a new character, and the hope and prayer that there are enough Expos fans from the 80s and early 90s to remember and cherish the good old days.

I think it's risky - I probably wouldn't have done it or recommended it - but, I do like it!

The Expos only lacked fan support because of the way the league treated Montreal. All of the great Expos players were taken by richer teams. No matter how much talent Montreal developed, bigger teams with bigger wallets would simply snatch them away. :puke:

Then, owners started making false promises, and bailed. Then, the MLB Franchise owners basically used the Expos as a farm team. Amazingly, the Expos were still fighting for a playoff spot during this time period. Yet again, talents like Guerrero, Vazquez, and Cabrera were still being taken away. While the league started threatening to move the team if fans didn't show-up (maybe they should have stopped screwing the team?). :nono:

On the Canadiens part, it was a brilliant marketing decision. Youppi! was the only constant in Olympic Stadium. He was the only thing left from the glory days of the Expos before they moved away.

If the Montreal Canadiens can salvage a piece of the Expos history during their success (and Youppi! was definitely a success), why not? Youppi! has been apart of the Expos since 1979, and has become symbol of Canadian sports. Now, the Habs have a piece of Montreal history, as well as a marketing tool for the children that attend games and old Expos fans.

Let's just hope that the Habs and hockey-only fans will accept him at the Bell Centre, I for one, will.

I am all for more Youppi. I generally don't like mascots, especially for teams with great histories (im a huge red sox fan, and I can't stand the green monster), but Youppi is special.

Maybe its just me remembering being a kid at the big o, but I have a soft spot for that hairball. Keep him off the ice, dont push him too much and all we go well.