Let the trade speculation begin!

dlbalr

I finally got a chance to read the latest issue of The Hockey News, and something there caught my mind:

The Boston Bruins are reportedly offering W Sergei Samsonov to Florida in exchange for the 1st overall pick.

It goes on to mention that the B's would draft G Marc-André Fleury, as they are pretty much desperate for a goalie.

This trade could help both teams, as Fleury could be the hotshot goalie they so desperately need (Raycroft will never live up to his hype), and Florida gets a big name sniper in Samsonov.

Personally, I feel that Boston may be giving up too much here, unless they truly are happy using Mike Knuble on the line with Thornton and Murray.

One thing is for sure, if this trade were to happen, we'd get a rough idea of what it's going to take to move up to one of the top-3 spots, any ideas on what it would take based on this rumour?

Samsonov is damaged goods and that's why Boston is ready to deal him... he has a nasty wrist injury, and that type of injury is something you want to stay away from.

Pronger missed a year, Souray has been in limbo forever, Rivet has had his bad wrist for years now... I wouldn't do that deal if I were Florida.

Moreover Boston doesn't need to make the deal with Florida, as Fleury likely won't be taken 1st or 2nd... I'd say 3-6.

We know Florida doesn't need Fleury with Luongo in their net, and if for example the Habs would manage to trade up they wouldn't take him either.

Boston must be afraid a team interested in Fleury might get Florida's pick, so might aswell go after it themselves to be sure.

I hope they don't get him, I don't want Boston having one of the many "local guy" quebecer goalies :que: who always come up big against the Habs. :hlogo:

And as for the Habs trading up, I don't care which pick they'd potentially trade up to as long as we get Staal/Horton... so our center position would be set for the future. :-^

And as for the Habs trading up, I don't care which pick they'd potentially trade up to as long as we get Staal/Horton... so our center position would be set for the future.

I've seen Stall and Horton, and in my own opinion, both are overrated. The only reason Stall is ranked #1 is because Zherdev/Michalek had "sub-par" WHJC's. The fact that neither Stall or Horton actually made Team Canada may also speak volumes to teams looking to take one of those 2.

That being said, IF we were to move up, Stall wouldn't be too bad a draft pick, although my personal preference would be Zherdev, as we are VERY short on high-scoring wingers; we'd like some. :)

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll have what it takes to move up into the top-3 anyways, just a hunch.

There is one guy I'd like to see us draft in the mid-rounds, B.J. Crombeen from Barrie. He's big, physical and stands up for his teammates, although his offence isn't too great, but we need some guys like him.

Any other personal preferences for players in the later rounds from you guys?

Since I haven't seen any of the prospect play with my own eyes I can't have a real opinion on who we should draft and whether it's really worth it to trade up.

I can just go by the numerous reports & rankings available on the web, and frankly that's about as effective as driving with your eyes closed.

Wherever we pick & whoever we pick, hopefully he turns out well... and isn't one of the requisite busts that exist in every draft. :monkey:

Originally posted by KoZed

Screw Horton and Staal.

Get Bernier. He's all the Habs need.

Well I was refering to guys we would pick if we trade up to the 1-3 pick... Bernier wouldn't apply there.

What I would like is for us to aquire another first rounder on top of the 10th we currently have.. so we could pick Bernier and a guys like Phaneuf for example.

I rather have two mid first rounders than one top 3 pick.

Two 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders in a deep draft would really give our prospect depth a shot in the arm... :/)

However, I dont think Staal, Horton & Zherdev are worth what it would cost in trade assets to move up and draft them. They are a cut above the rest of the other skaters, but not enough. There's only one "special" kid in this draft that's worth the gamble and its Fleury. And the Habs dont need him.

Having, say, a 7th and 10th overall pick would be the ideal. Adding another late 1st rounder wouldnt hurt.

Habs have loads of extra bodies they can spare. After spending so much time acquiring them for next to nothing, its time for AS to cash in.

I would personnally really really like the Habs to get Staal, hes much more talented then any of our current players and any of the other players in the draft. Why be happy with Bernier when you can potentially have much better? Staal could be the next Modano and I know a lot of GMs would pay a good price for Modano.