Bulis - Bonk - Hossa

Sundstrom - Begin - Plek/Higgins

hopefully this all becomes more self-evident as the preseason goes on

13 forwards

7 d-men

2 goalies

22 players... one spot left.

Keep Vandermeer or Ivanans up?

Or leave the spot empty and save the salary-cap room for later in the season...

Btw: This thread is the biggest in HW history, it totally destroyed the former biggest thread. Good job guys.

If Latendresse can keep things up all preseason, i seriously think that Sundstrom, Bulis, Hossa, or Dagenais will be on their way out Montreal. It would suck to see any of those guys go, but with the way they have been playing, and their value to a team's depth would surely bring us something good in return.

Originally posted by puck7x
Originally posted by ap79
Originally posted by simonus

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev

Perezhogin - Ribeiro - Ryder

Bulis - Bonk - Hossa

Sundstrom - Begin - Plek/Higgins

hopefully this all becomes more self-evident as the preseason goes on

13 forwards

7 d-men

2 goalies

22 players... one spot left.

Keep Vandermeer or Ivanans up?

Or leave the spot empty and save the salary-cap room for later in the season...

Btw: This thread is the biggest in HW history, it totally destroyed the former biggest thread. Good job guys.

Can't we keep more than 23 guys on the roster and cycle them between the press box and the ice?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=137032

MONTREAL (CP) - Guillaume Latendresse, the new favourite of the Bell Centre crowd, had two goals and an assist as the Montreal Canadiens downed the Tampa Bay Lightning 6-1 in NHL pre-season play Tuesday night.

His linemates Marcel Hossa and Radek Bonk each had a goal and three assists as the trio was on the ice for five Montreal goals. Steve Begin and Tomas Plekanec also scored for the Canadiens.

Jim Cambell scored early for Tampa Bay, the defending Stanley Cup champions who rested their top line of Martin St-Louis, Brad Richards and Fred Modin.

The crowd of 18,323 shouted Guy, Guy, Guy when 18-year-old Latendresse scored his goals - the same chant once used for former stars Guy Carboneau and Guy Lafleur.

The six-foot-two Latendresse, who drew cheers for his physical play as well as his offensive skill, was drafted in the second round in June and has been a standout in camp thus far.

It was a shaky night for Tampa Bay's new goaltender signing Sean Burke, who allowed six goals on 38 shots. The Lightning fired 26 at Yann Danis and Jose Theodore.

While there were more penalties than in pre-lockout days, special teams didn't dominate as for the most part and there were plenty of scoring chances at both ends. There were 14 minor penalties called in the game.

Campbell jumped on a giveaway to go to the net and score on his own rebound 4:54 into the game.

Begin tied it at 11:52 on a feed from Plekanec and Hossa put Montreal ahead when he banged in Bonk's rebound at 16:09. Latendresse backhanded a rebound over Burke on a power play at 18:10.

Montreal was on another man advantage when Latendresse took a feed from Hossa and beat Burke from in close 8:41 into the second frame.

Bonk made it 5-1 at 1:14 of the third on a rush with Latendresse and Plekanec scored shorthanded at 4:27. Montreal improved to 2-0 in the pre-season while Tampa Bay dropped to 1-1.

nhl_canadiens_vertlogo_46366.gif

in julien's comments after the game, he said that he wanted to send guys in the shootout (in pre-season games) that he will use in shootout in the real season (which means, guys who made the shootout last sunday and tonite are SURE to be with the team -- from what i understand if we take his words as they r) so perezhogin SHOULD already be SAFE and make the team this season~

what do ya think?

Originally posted by Macaskill

If Latendresse can keep things up all preseason, i seriously think that Sundstrom, Bulis, Hossa, or Dagenais will be on their way out Montreal. It would suck to see any of those guys go, but with the way they have been playing, and their value to a team's depth would surely bring us something good in return.

Bulis I doubt will lose his spot. He's too reliable defensively, and even more now with the new rules and his new-found confidence on offense.

Sundström is a coach favorite. They'd probably keep him rather than keep the 18 yrs old kid.

Its between Hossa & Dagenais, and Hossa's outshining Dagenais so far.

You know what's scary? We try to find spots for Higgins, Hossa, Perezhogin & Higgins... and there's still Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Lapierre, Price, Milroy, Mikus, Latendresse, Locke, Grabovsky in the pipeline...

I think that after Perezhogin won it for us last game, why not have him go last this game. It's a great test to see how this guy works under pressure. Sure it's only preseason, but an NHL job is on the line. The guy won it for us both times, I think that says a lot.

He should be in the line-up when we open up Oct. 5th. The guys got a ton of skill.

Originally posted by ap79

You know what's scary? We try to find spots for Higgins, Hossa, Perezhogin & Higgins... and there's still Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Lapierre, Price, Milroy, Mikus, Latendresse, Locke, Grabovsky in the pipeline...

Hahaha, man, it's good to be a Habs fan!

Originally posted by bebehabs

in julien's comments after the game, he said that he wanted to send guys in the shootout (in pre-season games) that he will use in shootout in the real season (which means, guys who made the shootout last sunday and tonite are SURE to be with the team -- from what i understand if we take his words as they r) so perezhogin SHOULD already be SAFE and make the team this season~

what do ya think?

yeah I caught that. And Perezhogin scored twice in SO so far.

I think Perezhogin is safe. Higgins as well. They're both right they should be at this stage of their development and are 100% NHL-ready.

To me the battle for the other spot is between Hossa, Dagenais & Plekanec. Vandermeer & Ivanans will battle for the reserve goon spot.

Latendresse isnt really fighting for a spot IMO. He's just putting on a show for us to enjoy and drool over thinking of the future.

<i>If Latendresse can keep things up all preseason, i seriously think that Sundstrom, Bulis, Hossa, or Dagenais will be on their way out Montreal. It would suck to see any of those guys go, but with the way they have been playing, and their value to a team's depth would surely bring us something good in return. </i>

I can't see Bulis being traded, his value to the team is much higher than what it would be in a trade. I really don't think Dags has a chance now with all these young guys pressing him for a position. I can't see him starting out on our 2nd line this year, and i think it might even be a stretch to think that he will make this team at all.

To me the battle for the other spot is between Hossa, Dagenais & Plekanec. Vandermeer & Ivanans will battle for the reserve goon spot.

I think Hossa is going to at least be given that spot out of the gates the way things are going. He's had an excellent pre-season and him being the former 1st round pick, i think he will get one more shot with the big club.

Fine, Bulis is on the safe list... but the other guys days are certainly numbered. I'm not saying the guys are going to be traded tomorrow, but there's certainly a chance that by mid season, Sunny (mostly him in my mind) will have lost a spot on the roster).

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Perezhogin-Ribs-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Hossa/Higgins

Pleks-Begin-Hossa/Higgins

ODDS: Sundstrom, Dags, Vandemeer

(Not too sure as to which side Pleks, Hossa, and Higgins would go on... but I'm guessing this one comes down to chemistry. So far it seems like Hossa has been working well with Bonk. Guess we'll have to see Sunny play some games before we can really see what happens.

I didn't know he was so well liked by the coaches. That obviously makes the whole roster deal more interesting.

My guess is Pleks is the guy who might not keep a spot, but we'll see.

It's going to get pretty competitive down the stretch... which is certainly a good thing... as we'll get more wins... see tonights outcome: young guys stepping it up to win a spot.

[Edited on 21/9/05 by Macaskill]

You have to remember that Dandenault can play forward, so I think they will keep 12 forwards and 8 defensemen (including Dandenault) on the roster. Bouillon could play up front in a pinch as well. I still beleive that Carey Price has a better chance to stick with the team than Latendresse because his competition is inferior.

Originally posted by beckham

You have to remember that Dandenault can play forward, so I think they will keep 12 forwards and 8 defensemen (including Dandenault) on the roster. Bouillon could play up front in a pinch as well. I still beleive that Carey Price has a better chance to stick with the team than Latendresse because his competition is inferior.

this is legitimate, except that only one goalie per game. Price would be riding a lot of pine as a backup to theo, while Guy would get his daily minutes, which the coach could adjust as he develops.

Originally posted by beckham

A good point about Dandenault.

Pleased with the way Danis is playing.

Bonk had a bonehead giveaway, but has been very solid over the last two games. He simply makes this team better.

Hossa has done exactly what I said he has to do. Have a strong camp and get some confidence. No way he starts the year in Hamilton.

Latendresse had an outstanding game, but this kid needs to spend some more time in the Q. He would not get top-6 forward minutes in Montreal. Let'em kick some serious arse in the Q and the WJC for another year.

Wondering when Higgins and Perezhogin are gonna start putting the puck in the net.

sheesh, I miss a few days and suddenly I'm playing major catch up.

Good to see the board this active though. Go HABS(world) GO!

Anyways, to respond to something I read in the last three pages of this thread (and I'm only reading three pages,) I gotta say that Dags might not get a chance to prove himself this year. I'm one of the few that actually thinks he'll improve and become a threat this year, but with these prospects clawing their way onto the roster he may have to get shipped.

The question is then: Does that effect Ribiero's play?

Lets keep Lantendresse another 2 years before putting him on the stanley cup winning team I see it already bet we have tooned this team to all but perfection we will put ptit Gui and we will be shouting Gui Gui Gui and na na na goodbye counting the seconds before we receive what is rightfully ours! LORD STANLEY!!!

AWAY HABS GOOO COLISSSSEEEE!!!!

Originally posted by Trizzak

The question is then: Does that effect Ribiero's play?

When Ribs starts pilling up even more points because the guy on his left wing can do more than shoot pucks, he won't be affected except in a good way. :D

Thank God, after all of these years of suffering from the end of Serge Savard's reign and from Houle's reign of error we have DEPTH!

I'm not concerned with having too many prospects. I suspect that what Bob will do is sit GL down and tell him that he has had a wonderful camp, but he needs a little more seasoning. That way it gives him time to showcase the guys he might move later for draft picks and lets GL develop under a little less pressure.

Otherwise we will end up cutting a useful player, or a pontentially useful player like Dags, and getting nothing back. That said, GL is making it difficult for the team to send him back to Junior...thats really good to see.

BTW: Sundstrom will not lose his job now for two reasons: 1. he is a skilled player who works hard and 2. the Habs will not want to waste cap space and money by buying him out...., but he could be trade bait during the season. As for Price, I dont want to see him in Montreal this season. There is nothing worse for a young goalie's development than to be rushed into the bigs.

I can't wait to see how the team is going to develop.

:/)

Hey guys, first post on this forum.

If you want to see bits and pieces, go there:

Radio-Canada

And clic on either one the red camera.

Cheers !!!

PS. Can someone in Quebec or else, with a tv tuner card, record the highlights of the games ?

I'm living in Paris, and God knows it's tough to follow hockey here...and TSN won't whow anything except for Mats Sundin or Belfour interviews :wall: