2020 NHL draft

HabsWEST

59 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The Athletic chose the best draft (of the last 20 years) for every NHL team. For Habs, they chose 2007:

https://theathletic.com/1848921/2020/06/29/wheeler-every-nhl-teams-best-draft-of-the-last-20-years/

Now, none of those four play for the Habs today, but we do have (Shea) Weber, Suzuki and Tatar for PK and MaxPac. (Yannick) Weber didn't pan out, while McDonogh was given away in the Gomez trade. But it's interesting that the Athletic (Wheeler) picked it as potentially the best draft by any team in the last 20 years.

That should have been a franchise altering draft, but stupidity prevailed after  picking up two top pairing dmen and a top winger. Had we build around them Price, markov and pleks, we might still be an elite team.  Could never find a centre that was as even good as Koivu was after he blew out his knee.

24 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That should have been a franchise altering draft, but stupidity prevailed after  picking up two top pairing dmen and a top winger. Had we build around them Price, markov and pleks, we might still be an elite team.  Could never find a centre that was as even good as Koivu was after he blew out his knee.

Let’s bring back Gainey :halm:

Yeah, so he can trade away Romanov for joe Thornton or Patrick Marleau.

Its hard to say Yannick Weber didn't pan out. 

Anytime I get a player with 500 career NHL games out of a third round pick, thats a good pick.  Even a 6th/7th defenceman at that point in the draft, its a win, considering most players in the third and later bust.  I mean its not a home run pick like Brendan Gallagher, but its still a small win. 

You got 3 players in that draft who are 1st line/1st pairing D.... plus a 4th who is a legit NHLer.... thats a monster of a draft.  What the GMs did with those picks later, doesn't take away from the Scouting Dept's success that year. 

46 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Its hard to say Yannick Weber didn't pan out. 

Anytime I get a player with 500 career NHL games out of a third round pick, thats a good pick.  Even a 6th/7th defenceman at that point in the draft, its a win, considering most players in the third and later bust.  I mean its not a home run pick like Brendan Gallagher, but its still a small win. 

You got 3 players in that draft who are 1st line/1st pairing D.... plus a 4th who is a legit NHLer.... thats a monster of a draft.  What the GMs did with those picks later, doesn't take away from the Scouting Dept's success that year. 

It’s precisely what the GMs did afterward that really make that draft year seem like such a waste. I think it was probably the habs best draft year since 1984, when they drafted Svoboda and Corson (although better players were picked after him), In the first round,  Richer in the second round and Roy in the third round.

2 hours ago, DON said:

That was the last time he had 2 first rd picks, in 2001 Habs had 2 and picked Komisarik (7) & Perezogin (25).

https://recrutes.ca/trevor-timmins-drafting-record-top-class/

My only big complaint with drafting under Timmins is that he drafts way too many college players and has not done too well with European/Russians.  Can’t remember if Kostitsyn was his pick or not and if that turned him off Russians- when there were so many better players to chose from that year - could have picked the centre we’ve always needed.

if you look at a lot of our # 1 picks, a lot are from USA College and a lot of emphasis on character and size over skill.  When compared to some of the players we could have had and some of the Europeans passed over, some of those picks are truly cringeworthy head smackers:

2003 - Kostitsyn- so many better players - I wanted Getzlaf, my brother wanted Parise
2004 - chipchura - Zajac was available

2005 - Price - I wanted Kopitar

2006- David Fischer- off the board puck, Giroux was available

2007 - home run year with two very good Americans - McDonough and pactioretty 

2008 - no first rounder, but American Kristo in the 2nd - Henrique was available

2009- Leblanc - local French kid With skating issues, over the speedy Power forward Kreider 

2010 - Tinordi- big slow American with bloodlines over Kuznetsov

2011 - Beaulieu - has a French last name, could have taken Klefbom

2012 - Galchenyuk- American with Russian heritage. Forsberg was an option in November, as was Grigerenko, but their stock fell by the draft, so Galchenyuk really was the BPA
2013 - michael fxcnk McCarron big  American oak tree - but slower than the tree. Theodore went right afterwards
2014 - Scherbak - another hit and miss in a Russian - this one playing in the WHL. To bad the bruins took Pasternak one pick earlier
2015 - Juulson- Because if injuries, too early to see if this another WHL busy or a good puck. at least he was supposed to be a puck mover 

2016 - Sergechev- great puck, but MB fxcked up

2017 - Poehling- another American too early to say what he is yet - he’ll of a first game though. Be interesting to see how he ends up comparing to Morgan Frost

2018 - Kotkaniemi - finally picked a European. Too early to say if it was right pick. But after trading Sergechev, would have been nice to nab Hughes

2019 - another American in Canfield- but given how far he’s fallen, had to pick him

thats 16 drafts and 8 American with the first pick made by the habs (kristo was 2nd rounder, but was their first puck that year).

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting clip from Dylan Holloway about his interview with the Canadiens ... LOVE his answer ... not enough to jump him up the rankings (IMO) but if the habs were to acquire a 2nd pick in the teens then he becomes interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article from The Athletic (if you have a subscription) on Jeremy Poirier ... seems to be an absolute elite offensive D prospect who is run down for his defence, perhaps too much ... is still only 17 and has played his two seasons in the Q on the youngest team in the league, in the midst of a full rebuild ... only defenceman to outscore him was teammate William Villeneuve (also 17, but 2.5 months older) ... Poirier is ranked from 21st to 52nd (per Elite prospects - ignoring NHL Central Scouting as it is 18th among North American skaters) and Villeneuve 50th to 105th ... Habs could have a shot at both with all their picks (three 2nds, two 3rds and three 4ths) ... defence can be improved, offence cannot be taught ... 

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Interesting article from The Athletic (if you have a subscription) on Jeremy Poirier ... seems to be an absolute elite offensive D prospect who is run down for his defence, perhaps too much ... is still only 17 and has played his two seasons in the Q on the youngest team in the league, in the midst of a full rebuild ... only defenceman to outscore him was teammate William Villeneuve (also 17, but 2.5 months older) ... Poirier is ranked from 21st to 52nd (per Elite prospects - ignoring NHL Central Scouting as it is 18th among North American skaters) and Villeneuve 50th to 105th ... Habs could have a shot at both with all their picks (three 2nds, two 3rds and three 4ths) ... defence can be improved, offence cannot be taught ... 

I think that was Mike Rielly's motto 

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I think that was Mike Rielly's motto 

Yah ... Nathan Beaulieu's too ... but in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds it is worth drafting TALENT ... Beaulieu proved to be a mistake because the Habs drafted TALENT in the first round that had no heart/head ... Reilly was a 4th rounder (by CBJ) so actually not a bad pick, just didn't pan out

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Yah ... Nathan Beaulieu's too ...

My thought exactly...when he wanted Nate the Great stamped on his sticks, must of been 1st real sign the kid's head just isn't screwed on right. 

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I have a question. Will the results of the 1st round of playoffs have an effect on where teams draft in the 2nd round or are those set. (ie. the Habs have the Hawks 2nd round pick, if they beat Edmonton does that mean a later 2nd round pick?)  Thanks 

Yes, they will be the 16th pick of the second round at best (if they beat the Oilers). 

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I have a question. Will the results of the 1st round of playoffs have an effect on where teams draft in the 2nd round or are those set. (ie. the Habs have the Hawks 2nd round pick, if they beat Edmonton does that mean a later 2nd round pick?)  Thanks 

Yes, the results of this round will affect picks in the 2nd round and later.  Chicago beating Edmonton would knock that pick back several spots.

IF we beat the pens and pick around 16, there are still quite a few prospects I like.

Mercer, Holloway, Guhnler, Zary, Schneider and Jarvis are some of my favorites.

Who else? Or who out of the above do you guys think would be a good pick at 16

23 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

IF we beat the pens and pick around 16, there are still quite a few prospects I like.

The Newfoundlander Mercer seems highest rated on paper of those, i never watched his highlights or him play yet though.

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/04/27/dawson-mercer-scouting-report/

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

The Newfoundlander Mercer seems highest rated on paper of those, i never watched his highlights or him play yet though.

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/04/27/dawson-mercer-scouting-report/

That would be my ideal pick, but I’m also biased since I’m a Newfoundlander hahah

i think Jarvis is very talented, but Caufeild probably fills the hole he would slot into.

Mercer seems to have a tenacity, ruggedness and two-way game. Could be an excellent fit to the system 

3 hours ago, Meller93 said:

I think your getting ahead of yourself.  May as well wait a week.  I still think we are picking #1 or #9.

Best case scenario for lafreniere is for us to beat the pens and then the pens win the first overall. The kid will be under the wings of Crosby, Malkin and Mario Lemieux.

1 minute ago, Dalhabs said:

Best case scenario for lafreniere is for us to beat the pens and then the pens win the first overall. The kid will be under the wings of Crosby, Malkin and Mario Lemieux.

An older team with bare prospect pool, why would he want that?

2015-2018 had no 1st round picks.

2016-2018 picks Zero NHL games.

Malkin just turned 34, Crosby turning 33 this week. Getting close to old-timer softball age.

On 8/2/2020 at 2:30 PM, hab29RETIRED said:

I think your getting ahead of yourself.  May as well wait a week.  I still think we are picking #1 or #9.

I’m not getting ahead, it’s why I emphasized “if”

just something interesting to think about that’s definitely a possibility 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 2:30 PM, hab29RETIRED said:

You have your answer ;) our habs are moving on