2020 NHL draft

HabsWEST

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

You have your answer ;) our habs are moving on

If we are playing Tampa, we are probably picking #9.  I’m pretty happy with the unexpected role that KK and Suzuki are playing, so even if I don’t think we’ll win the next round, I do like the experience that they’ll be getting playing an important role, rather than the expected supporting roles.

28 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If we are playing Tampa, we are probably picking #9.  ...

As we beat Pittsburgh we will draft 16th or later (depending on how the Habs perform from here on in the playoffs) ... from NHL.com:

Picks No. 9-15 will be assigned to the other teams that lose the eight qualifier series, in inverse order of their points percentage.
Picks 16-31 will be determined by the results of the playoffs.

So Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, Florida, NYR and Nashville are in the second lottery (to be held Monday night I believe), with Toronto, Edmonton and Minnesota on the brink of joining them ... 

• Upvote 1

I was going to do my usual post this time of the season of where all the Habs draft picks will be and which ones are undecided until various rounds are over, but I'm pretty sure the Habs only have 2 picks out of 14 locked in: Anaheim's 4th (98th) and Ottawa's 7th (188th).

The other 12 are TBD in various degrees based on how far the Habs, Blackhawks, Blues, and Capitals go in the playoffs.

4 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I was going to do my usual post this time of the season of where all the Habs draft picks will be and which ones are undecided until various rounds are over, but I'm pretty sure the Habs only have 2 picks out of 14 locked in: Anaheim's 4th (98th) and Ottawa's 7th (188th).

The other 12 are TBD in various degrees based on how far the Habs, Blackhawks, Blues, and Capitals go in the playoffs.

I realized the same thing earlier this week too.

From a drafting perspective , I hope Habs and Hawks get bounced out of the playoffs; and to a lesser degree Caps and Blues (but those picks were late anyways)

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I realized the same thing earlier this week too.

From a drafting perspective , I hope Habs and Hawks get bounced out of the playoffs; and to a lesser degree Caps and Blues (but those picks were late anyways)

I think I read/heard the second round onwards reverts to the NHL standings when play was halted back in March.

39 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I think I read/heard the second round onwards reverts to the NHL standings when play was halted back in March.

That is what I tried finding to confirm. If that is the case, it bodes well for the Habs even if they go deep in the playoffs 

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

That is what I tried finding to confirm. If that is the case, it bodes well for the Habs even if they go deep in the playoffs 

I Googled multiple combos and couldn't find anything specific ... except all sources I found spoke of the second lottery setting the first 15 picks for the first round ... and my feeble memory does recall hearing/reading that the two lotteries were for the first round only.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I Googled multiple combos and couldn't find anything specific ... except all sources I found spoke of the second lottery setting the first 15 picks for the first round ... and my feeble memory does recall hearing/reading that the two lotteries were for the first round only.

We’ll see in a month or so

43 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The regular season standings are now being used to determine the placement of the playoff losers.

If Boston loses to Carolina they'll have the worst placed pick of the quarter-final losers because they had the best record in the regular season, but they'll be placed one spot better than the worst semi-finals loser.

Habs have the worst regular season record of all teams in the playoffs, so they'll get the best pick amongst the group of losers they are eliminated with. Or they'll win the Cup and pick 31st, 62nd, 93rd, etc.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Habs have the worst regular season record of all teams in the playoffs, so they'll get the best pick amongst the group of losers they are eliminated with. Or they'll win the Cup and pick 31st, 62nd, 93rd, etc.

Now THAT would be a terrible fate! :gohabsgo:

58 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Does anyone know what is happening with the expansion draft this year? Are they waiting to confirm a 2020/2021 season first or is this all set already?

The expansion draft isn't until the end of next season. It was never this year.

On 8/14/2020 at 3:42 AM, Trizzak said:

Well tonight got us a whole whack of numbers:

Habs 1st round pick: 16th OA

Habs 2nd round pick: 47th OA

Hawks 2nd round pick: 48th OA

Blues 2nd round pick: TBD

Habs 3rd round pick: 78th OA

Caps 3rd round pick: TBD

Ducks 4th round pick: 98th OA

Jets 4th round pick: 102nd OA

Habs 4th round pick: 109th OA

Panthers 5th round pick: 136th OA

Habs 5th round pick: 140th OA

Habs 6th round pick: 171st OA

Sens 7th round pick: 188th OA

Hawks 7th round pick: 203rd OA

There's iffiness on where the Blues and Caps will pick because of them finishing 1st in their division.

• Like 1

There's iffiness on where the Blues and Caps will pick because of them finishing 1st in their division.

Thanks, I was about to go check this.

Middle of the pack draft picks is not too bad.  

Let’s go Canucks!

Dont think 9th and 16 ranked prospects would be considered same 'quality' or project the same? Maybe is only slight difference in draft crapshoot?

1 hour ago, DON said:

Dont think 9th and 16 ranked prospects would be considered same 'quality' or project the same? Maybe is only slight difference in draft crapshoot?

The percentages of picking 9th and 16th really aren't much different. And individual players have different ceilings, roles and risks. It might be reasonable to say "we can get substantially the same quality of player".

Who is actually available at 9 and at 16 remains to be seen -- and who we would pick from the available players.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Good chance that whoever he drafts at 16 MB will say they are who they would have taken at 9th ... it is the nature of GMs on every team in all sports ... even if it si true they had their selection rated 9th picking 16th risks someone else taking him.

BUT, the question of picking 9th versus 16th was resolved in Game 4 versus Pittsburgh ... hopefully it is a moot point now for everyone ... those of us who preferred a chance at #1 and guaranteed 9th pick over playoff games and those who preferred playoff games over a chance at #1 and guaranteed 9th pick.

16 hours ago, Trizzak said:

How many of those (low as possible) would be needed to get someone to take Alzner off the Habs hands ... he offers $1.625 and $1.125 M of "free" cap hit in these last two seasons of his contract.

23 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

How many of those (low as possible) would be needed to get someone to take Alzner off the Habs hands ... he offers $1.625 and $1.125 M of "free" cap hit in these last two seasons of his contract.

The cost of Marleau was a 1st round pick. The cost of Orpik was Grubauer but also got a 2nd round pick back. 

Value basically comes down to how badly the team is over a barrel cap-wise, and how many teams can offer assistance. 

The Habs are not currently over a barrel, but with a flat cap for awhile there won't be many teams who can offer assistance. 

I'd personally wait another season and see if Seattle can be enticed by a 2nd rounder into picking Alzner in the expansion draft. Maybe a 3rd would do it.

2 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

The cost of Marleau was a 1st round pick. The cost of Orpik was Grubauer but also got a 2nd round pick back. 

Value basically comes down to how badly the team is over a barrel cap-wise, and how many teams can offer assistance.

The Habs are not currently over a barrel, but with a flat cap for awhile there won't be many teams who can offer assistance.

The caphit is always a factor, but for "budget teams" the actual $$$ count, and the possibility of "free" caphit can be important.

9 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I'd personally wait another season and see if Seattle can be enticed by a 2nd rounder into picking Alzner in the expansion draft. Maybe a 3rd would do it.

I'm hoping that the lower actual salary might entice some team to take Alzner on, freeing up more cap space for UFA signings and/or deals taking on bad contracts this offseason.

We're picking 16th, I would try and trade our first and a 2nd see what type of top LD we can get. They're some good forwards coming up in this year's UFA class.  so if we can land a top LD through trade at the draft, then sign some forwards, we could be in good shape next season.

27 minutes ago, DON said:

Devils have 3 1st round picks and no 2nd round picks, they might be willing to deal a 1st.

Let’s bring PK home  on that trade :nuts: