2020 NHL draft

HabsWEST

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Think of you want an ELITE player in return it would take at least the 16th overall, one of Danault/Domi/Tartar and one of Caufield/Romanov

As for Danault ... his role as a 3C would be the more traditional shutdown centre and he likely would get almost the same minutes as KK and Suzuki, at least this season ... 

For a #1LD for example, we might want to replace  ELITE  by  LEGIT.  Maybe we would be able to pay a little less.

1 minute ago, JoeLassister said:

For a #1LD for example, we might want to replace  ELITE  by  LEGIT.  Maybe we would be able to pay a little less.

Agree it would ... but if Edmundson is signed they still lack (IMO) a legit #1 LHD but I feel the remaining money and resources should then be focused on upgrading the wings

13 hours ago, DON said:

See someone suggested an option of Braden Schneider at 16.

Dont think i would want to see them take a defensive d-man in the 1st round.

As long as the plan is to go all in with Price and Weber,  I Don't want to pick any  d-man with in the 1st round.  Unless we pick top 3 and are going for a generational d-man who's gonna slot in #1 LD the very next year.   Otherwise, the d-men take too long to develop and will make it too late.

Draft forwards  and make moves for quality D-men  is what I'd do.

I like how MB has used the stockpile of draft picks to improve the NHL roster this off-season:

traded:

* 3rd & 7th for Allen

* 4th for a few games of Scandella -> became a 2nd in 2020 _AND_ a 4th in 2021

* 5th for signing rights for Edmundson

* 7th for Rafael Harvey-Pinard (smallish forward help for Laval, replacing Matthew Peca who was traded to Ottawa for a better 7th?)

Remaining:

* 1st (16)

* 3x 2nd (46, 47, 56)

* 3rd (77)

* 3x 4th (97, 101, 108)

* 5th (135)

* 6th (170)

* 7th (187)

On 9/1/2020 at 8:57 PM, Trizzak said:

Updated: 

Habs 1st round pick: 16th OA

Habs 2nd round pick: 47th OA

Hawks 2nd round pick: 48th OA

Blues 2nd round pick: 57th OA

Habs 3rd round pick: 78th OA

Caps 3rd round pick: 87th OA

Ducks 4th round pick: 98th OA

Jets 4th round pick: 102nd OA

Habs 4th round pick: 109th OA

Panthers 5th round pick: 136th OA

Habs 5th round pick: 140th OA

Habs 6th round pick: 171st OA

Sens 7th round pick: 188th OA

Hawks 7th round pick: 203rd OA

On 9/6/2020 at 8:53 AM, DON said:

picks chart (from Blades, EOTP) just noticed, i think 1 short for Habs own picks 3rd to 6th

Draft_pick_board__20200905_.png

Edited by alfredoh2009
added "this off-season" to be less provocative

Big Bob's scouts-poll ranking from awhile ago.

Who will or should Habs opt for?

Will they look specifically for a winger, or just a forward (as most centres can likely do fine on the wing)? 

image.png

I would not be upset to see them take a chance on Hendrix Lapierre at 16. Assuming that a player they have targeted doesn’t drop like last year and they keep the pick

5 minutes ago, PMAC said:

I would not be upset to see them take a chance on Hendrix Lapierre at 16. Assuming that a player they have targeted doesn’t drop like last year and they keep the pick

You posted this as I was writing my above post ... I agree, although I expect many would not ... it would be a gutsy move but perhaps the best way to upgrade the prospect pool with a mid-first round pick.

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

You posted this as I was writing my above post ... I agree, although I expect many would not ... it would be a gutsy move but perhaps the best way to upgrade the prospect pool with a mid-first round pick.

2g in 19gms last year vs 11pts in 5gms at Hlinka.

Seems like he is a defensive or 2 way centre with limited offense, cant you likely find that in 2nd round?

Holloway, Mercer, or swing for fence with 19 yr old Russian Amirov, seem like good options.

29 minutes ago, DON said:

2g in 19gms last year vs 11pts in 5gms at Hlinka.

Seems like he is a defensive or 2 way centre with limited offense, cant you likely find that in 2nd round?

Holloway, Mercer, or swing for fence with 19 yr old Russian Amirov, seem like good options.

The misdiagnosed concussion last fall severely limited his offence ... he was top 10 rated before last season, and despite his "lost season" he is still ranked in the 20s ... for example Hendrix Lapierre Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #23 ... first overall pick in the 2018 QMJHL Draft, Hendrix Lapierre had a strong rookie season and was named QMJHL Offensive Rookie of the Year, as well as to the league’s All-Rookie Team. He scored 13 goals and 32 assists for 45 points in 48 games for Chicoutimi. Lapierre also added three goals and five points in four playoff games. He followed that up with a huge summer tournament performance at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup. Lapierre had three goals and eight assists for 11 points in five games ... Injuries are the biggest questions around Lapierre. He suffered a concussion in February of 2019... he apparently suffered another concussion in October, came back and was injured again in November. This was first diagnosed as a concussion, but Lapierre later learned it was a vertebrae injury. It is even possible that Lapierre’s October injury was also a vertebra injury ... he is an excellent skater. He has outstanding top-end speed and very good acceleration. His ability to make quick cuts and changes in direction helps him to avoid defenders and create space ... very difficult to defend as he can handle the puck while moving at close to his top speed ... Lapierre is a creative playmaker ... (his) ability to speed up the play or to slow it down allows him to control the pace of the game. He sets up on the half boards on the power play and acts as a quarterback. He also protects the puck well down low, extending plays in the cycle game ... also plays a solid defensive game. He uses his high-end hockey IQ in all three zones ... Lapierre is a boom or bust prospect. He is immensely talented, and it is easy to envision a path where he becomes a top-six NHL centre ...

But it all comes down to his health ... as I pointed out above, "concussion issues" have previously been resolved (e.g., Crosby) once the issue with the neck was addressed ... opinions of the Habs medical staff, and hopefully other experts, would seem to be the key in considering Lapierre at #16, or really anywhere.

I am also intrigued by Rodion Amirov Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #20A talented Russian forward ... just two points in 21 KHL games this season. However, stats don’t tell the whole story ...18-year-old with limited ice time in a men’s league. Playing in the MHL, he was dominant, with 10 goals and 12 assists for 22 points in 17 games ... 

a strong skater who plays a 200-foot game. He has very good top-end speed and good acceleration. He also possesses an excellent first step. Amirov couples this with excellent agility and edge work. This gives him the ability to weave in and out of traffic both with and without the puck. ... excellent wrist shot and a quick release. His shot is powerful and accurate and helps Amirov to be a natural goal scorer. He is also effective at establishing his position in front of the net ... effective on the forecheck ... Amirov has excellent hands and is able to make plays with the puck at top speed. He is not really a creative passer but makes short, safe passes in the cycle game to keep the puck moving ... effective in all three zones, also hounding the puck in the neutral zone and helping out on the backcheck ... [for better or for worse - LOL] His game is reminiscent of Max Pacioretty. However, this is a stylistic comparison only

Given how closely they are ranked, given Lapierre's injuries he seems to have the higher ceiling but perhaps more chance of not reaching it

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I would really like the Habs to trade some of our 2nds and 3rd / 4th round picks to get another 1st rounder.  Whichever combination works is good with me.  We need quality picks now!  Over the last couple of years, we haven't signed all of our picks due to the 50 contract rule.  Let's not simply waste picks that can't be signed.  If we can't make a trade to move up, maybe we trade picks for future years or maybe some of our current picks help us to get that scoring winger?

20 minutes ago, Blazer said:

I would really like the Habs to trade some of our 2nds and 3rd / 4th round picks / lower-grade prospects to get another 1st rounder.  Whichever combination works is good with me.

With that addition, yes.

5 hours ago, Blazer said:

I would really like the Habs to trade some of our 2nds and 3rd / 4th round picks to get another 1st rounder.  Whichever combination works is good with me.  We need quality picks now!  Over the last couple of years, we haven't signed all of our picks due to the 50 contract rule.  Let's not simply waste picks that can't be signed.  If we can't make a trade to move up, maybe we trade picks for future years or maybe some of our current picks help us to get that scoring winger?

A second first rounder would be nice ... as would perhaps be a trade to move up from #16 into the "elite" grouping of the draft.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

What about trading all the picks to NYR for first overall ?

... once we are at it, why set the bar so low ?

More than all? How about all the picks and we throw in Alzner? 🤣 🤣 🤣

Justin baron having some tough luck ... missed almost half his team's games last season with blood clots ... and now out after a "minor corrective procedure on (his) shoulder" ... wonder how it will impact his draft status ... ***if*** he drops far enough the Habs might be able to trade up to late first/earlier second ... 

41 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Justin baron having some tough luck ... missed almost half his team's games last season with blood clots ... and now out after a "minor corrective procedure on (his) shoulder" ... wonder how it will impact his draft status ... ***if*** he drops far enough the Habs might be able to trade up to late first/earlier second ... 

From the athletic- Pronman

Justin Barron, D, Halifax-QMJHL

Barron is a 6-foot-2, right-handed defenseman born in November 2001 who scored 19 points in 34 QMJHL games. He gets high marks for his skating. He was invited to Canada’s U20 summer camp and was a top-four defenseman two years ago at the Hlinka Gretzky. His season was shortened due to blood clot issues. The debate is over his offensive upside.

Scout in favor: “I think he’s going to be a top-four D in the league. If he goes after 20, that’s a lot of player to get in that range, someone is getting value. Tremendous skater, not overly skilled, but he’s a good passer, there’s offense in his game.”

Scout against: “I don’t think he’s that smart with the puck, you have the lack of scoring last season, the blood clot issues. He’s a great skater and big, but I don’t see a lot after that would make me use a significant pick on him.”

3 minutes ago, DON said:

From the athletic- Pronman
Justin Barron, D, Halifax-QMJHL

Barron is a 6-foot-2, right-handed defenseman born in November 2001 who scored 19 points in 34 QMJHL games. He gets high marks for his skating. He was invited to Canada’s U20 summer camp and was a top-four defenseman two years ago at the Hlinka Gretzky. His season was shortened due to blood clot issues. The debate is over his offensive upside.

Scout in favor: “I think he’s going to be a top-four D in the league. If he goes after 20, that’s a lot of player to get in that range, someone is getting value. Tremendous skater, not overly skilled, but he’s a good passer, there’s offense in his game.”

Scout against: “I don’t think he’s that smart with the puck, you have the lack of scoring last season, the blood clot issues. He’s a great skater and big, but I don’t see a lot after that would make me use a significant pick on him.”

All depends on what is considered a "significant pick" ... 

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

All depends on what is considered a "significant pick" ... 

Top 2/3 of 1st round would be safe to assume.

From what i have read, their still should be some good options for the Habs in the 2nd round (but seems that way every year).