2020 NHL draft

HabsWEST

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Top 2/3 of 1st round would be safe to assume.

From what i have read, their still should be some good options for the Habs in the 2nd round (but seems that way every year).  

He seems to be ranked in the 20s (unless he slips) ... so it seems like a reasonable slotting

16 hours ago, GHT120 said:

He seems to be ranked in the 20s (unless he slips) ... so it seems like a reasonable slotting

How bout long shot kid like Shakir Mukhamadullin, maybe available at pick 47... but also has made Elite Prospects "Do Not Draft" list.

He has 3pts in 7KHL games this year.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020/05/05/shakir-mukhamadullin-scouting-report-2020-nhl-draft-27/

1 minute ago, DON said:

How bout long shot kid like Shakir Mukhamadullin, maybe available at pick 47... but also has made Elite Prospects "Do Not Draft" list.

He has 3pts in 7KHL games this year.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020/05/05/shakir-mukhamadullin-scouting-report-2020-nhl-draft-27/

Habs have (IMO) made enough "character" picks in recent years ... some "grand slam or strikeout" picks would be more than OK with me ...  

I know only what I read ... but I've seen Shakir ranked as high as #22, #28 and #29 ... think it reflects that this is a deep draft ... other than Lafreniere being #1 there seems the potential for lots of card shuffling in the various tiers of players ... so I expect there will be a lot of climbing and falling the further into the draft we get.

Many seem to suggest trading up, here are examples of past cost of doing that in the 10-20 range.

An Ontario team's bit on trading up in draft, but more it lists bunch of teams trading up for players that flop and shows all similar past trades in Habs range.

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/nhl-draft/2020/9/22/21437696/what-would-it-cost-for-the-maple-leafs-to-trade-up-from-15th-overall-2020-nhl-entry-draft

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Would Dylan Holloway be similar player to a Chris Kreider, or likely less offense/lower ceiling?

Seems like a fair comparison to me.

I may be wrong, but I think Holloway may be a step slower, but perhaps has a little better edgework than Kreider. Overall both are incredible skaters regardless. 

I think they may be a little different stylistically, though I’ve only done a little light reading on them.

it seems Holloway may be a little more two-way, making sure to put back pressure on the opposition, and play a More responsible game.

Kreider in the other hand uses a wicked forecheck in a “best defense is a good offensive” style. Correct me if I’m wrong anyone, that’s what I gather from a little reading

i have this inclination that the habs are going to take one of the skilled but two-way forwards in this range:

Mercer, Holloway, or Reichel

16 minutes ago, DON said:

Would Dylan Holloway be similar player to a Chris Kreider, or likely less offense/lower ceiling?

From what I have read he is not the physical disrupter that Kreider is ... a comparison I like, as it seems to fit, is a Jordan Staal STYLE player

• Like 1

I have a question for Commandant and those who follow the draft eligible players closely. I clearly remember Commandant pushing for us to draft Quinn Hughes and without question, in hindsight, that would have been a very very good choice.

For this draft who would be your top 3 players you would hope or expect to be available at 16 that we should draft?  

1 hour ago, REV-G said:

I have a question for Commandant and those who follow the draft eligible players closely. I clearly remember Commandant pushing for us to draft Quinn Hughes and without question, in hindsight, that would have been a very very good choice.

For this draft who would be your top 3 players you would hope or expect to be available at 16 that we should draft?  

Think the challenge is the "hope or expect to be available"... this may be a volatile draft

3 hours ago, Meller93 said:

have this inclination that the habs are going to take one of the skilled but two-way forwards in this range:

Mercer, Holloway, or Reichel

LaPierre seems such an unknown with all injuries and just 2g last year, but some still rank him right around 15th-16th.

Could Jarvis fall to Habs, another one due to size?

2 hours ago, REV-G said:

Hope and expect eh;

I hope Quinn, Jarvis, Holloway are available.

Seems like Holloway, Mercer could be good options that i kinda like, one should be available at least and Lapierre the scouts seem to think could be smart pick and just had 4g 4a in 4QMJHL pre-season games (and he is french so am sure many locals will be hoping he is chosen).

I like Holloway because he has very good skating, already 1year NCAA under his belt, does play physical and seems to have OK puck skills. Jarvis on #1 team, had 28more points than any teammate, 2nd in WHL scoring and seems size & defence are his only negatives (scores and shoots a ton like Gallagher always has since junior, not as gritty but faster skater). Mercer just seems to be well liked and gotta pull for picking a Newfie every so often.:halm:

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DON said:

... and gotta pull for picking a Newfie every so often.:halm:

Have the habs had good luck with Newfie draftees?

The more I see of Jarvis, the more I find myself looking past his size and embracing the offensive ability of this kid. I would be very pleased if we called his name on draft day, we need more of these gifted offensive wingers to start gluing to the centers like Suzuki and KK in the coming years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Link67 said:

The more I see of Jarvis, the more I find myself looking past his size and embracing the offensive ability of this kid. I would be very pleased if we called his name on draft day, we need more of these gifted offensive wingers to start gluing to the centers like Suzuki and KK in the coming years.

Skill and speed he has.

What are odds the 16th pick will be packaged with Domi and young d-man in trade for a top six forward?

Or will Bergevin wait for free agency to try make some kind of forward upgrade?

5 hours ago, REV-G said:

16 is tough to predict who will be available.

Here are my rankings though. 

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020-nhl-entry-draft-headquarters/

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

16 is tough to predict who will be available.

Here are my rankings though. 

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020-nhl-entry-draft-headquarters/

So with Jarvis at 16, would you be happy with that for the Habs?

curious to know who you are hoping slips to 16 for us 

2 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

So with Jarvis at 16, would you be happy with that for the Habs?

curious to know who you are hoping slips to 16 for us 

In terms of positional need, I'd be happy with Schneider even if I have him at 17. 

Lundell isn't a position of need, but I could see him falling and being a steal at 16. 

Quinn, Gunler and Mercer would be good to give us a winger with some jam. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DON said:

I didnt realize Sens had so many picks.

Ottawa steps in with 13 selections: a top-heavy three in the first round, four in round two and two in round three.

If they pick wisely, they can be a force in 3 years. Probably a lottery team for the next two years, but can lay the foundation in this draft to get a top line centre a potential to pairing dman to partner with Chabot. 

Corey Pronman did 7 round mockdraft, bit of a trend in his top Hab picks.

16 Kaiden Gruhle    D WHL

47 Ty Simlanic        LW/C USA

48 Will Cuylle          LW OHL

57 Roby Jarventie  LW Liiga

78 Brent Berard      LW USA

I really think mock drafts are pretty useless (maybe entertaining, but useless) beyond the first half of the first round as you really cannot predict which players will be available.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I really think mock drafts are pretty useless (maybe entertaining, but useless) beyond the first half of the first round as you really cannot predict which players will be available.

For a specific player yes for sure is rare that one hits after 1st round, but is fine for what "kind" of player should be available and i would give Pronman benefit of doubt, seems pretty knowledgeable and compared to Commandant's ranking, his picks seem reasonable.

Most seem to rank Guhle right around Habs pick, but, i hope they take a forward if make the pick.