2020 NHL draft

HabsWEST

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It is curious as to why he has not been selected for any national teams after a handful of U17 games. However, I expect that the scouts have figured out whether that's significant or not.

But, you see why he has been rated in 20s by most, he has question marks, which most do once you get past the top 10. But if taking a big risk at 16, it seems Lapierre might be better way to go.

I keep thinking Adam Oates when read about his awesome vision and playmaking.

26 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It is curious as to why he has not been selected for any national teams after a handful of U17 games. However, I expect that the scouts have figured out whether that's significant or not.

Team too strong?   Insistence on "197 foot game" players?  He broke the National Team's coach's daughter's heart?

Projecting late 2nd early third, is anyone famillair with Roby Jarventie? Excellent numbers with Mestis last year, and 2 points in 2 games to start the 2020 Liiga season. Good size at 6'2, and apparent a goal scorer with good passing skills as well. Downfall being poor defensively, But he only just turn 18 in August, so he's very young in this draft class. Kind of sound like a steal if you ask me.

Sounds like he could be an excellent project player no? Let him mature for another 2-3 years in the Liiga. And he could be a solid Top 6 winger

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

Projecting late 2nd early third, is anyone famillair with Roby Jarventie? Excellent numbers with Mestis last year, and 2 points in 2 games to start the 2020 Liiga season. Good size at 6'2, and apparent a goal scorer with good passing skills as well. Downfall being poor defensively, But he only just turn 18 in August, so he's very young in this draft class. Kind of sound like a steal if you ask me.

Sounds like he could be an excellent project player no? Let him mature for another 2-3 years in the Liiga. And he could be a solid Top 6 winger

couple comments on him

Jokke Nevalainen - Dobber Prospects - Sept. 30th: "A goal-scoring winger with great size and very good speed. A modern power forward who uses his size to protect the puck. Isn’t afraid to drive to the net. Owns a great shot and decent playmaking abilities."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Sept. 21st: "Jarventie is big and strong and his best asset is his ability to push past checks, protect the puck and get to his spots for a shot on net."

Chris Peters - ESPN - June 30th: "He has good offensive instincts to go along with a big body that doesn't get pushed around in front of the net."

Cam Robinson - Dobber Prospects - Apr. 1st: "A big, gun-slinging goal-scorer. Can finish from out high and is deadly in the slot area. Was far and away the best U18 player in Mestis history this past season. Very young for this crop so there’s loads of space to grow."

37 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Did not realize habs drafted his dad?

Martti Jarventie ... Defense - shoots L ... Height 5.11 - Weight 196 ... Drafted by Montreal Canadiens - round 4 #109 overall 2001 NHL Entry Draft
One NHL game (0-0-0) ... 59 AHL games (1-14-27)

Roby Jarventie: 
(1) ... appears to be one of the most fascinating prospects available. As a big-bodied winger who is incredibly fast, possesses a fantastic shot and knows how to pass the puck to bring out the best in his teammates, he seemingly has everything that the league wants in a top-end selection ... has many of those intangible skills like speed, size, and scoring that NHL general managers look for on draft day. (Pasi Mennander / Finnish Ice Hockey Association) ... isn’t getting talked about as one of the can’t-miss prospects of the draft is due to his lacking defensive zone presence ... The general consensus is that Jarventie will be a mid to late third-round selection 

(2) #67 ... an excellent skater. He has a powerful stride and generates excellent speed. His first step is very quick and his acceleration is excellent ... a pure sniper. ... His wrist shot is powerful and accurate and features an excellent release ... also has an excellent snapshot and one-timer ... can even score with his backhand. His quick hands allow him to make moves in tight to the net ... He is not afraid to play in the dirty areas of the ice ... also a talented playmaker. He sees the ice well and anticipates where his teammates and defenders will be. He has excellent hands and can control the puck while moving at top speed ... needs to work on his defensive game and this is his biggest weakness right now ... has the speed and skill to develop into a top-six winger at the NHL level if things go well. At 6-foot-2 he has a good frame but is a bit lanky right now. He needs to add more muscle to that frame. His defensive game is the biggest concern ...

The Habs need scoring ... he brings scoring, size and speed ... could be worth a risk with a late second (#56) or one of their thirds (#77, #85)

• Upvote 1

A few things:

- Once the draft gets going, we'll shift this discussion to a fresh GDT as we normally do.

- Our mock draft is now available - at least one of you is not going to be a fan of our 16th pick.  We also predict 47, 48, and 57.

- There's still time to enter our draft pool where you can pit your picks against other readers/posters.

22 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

A few things:

- Once the draft gets going, we'll shift this discussion to a fresh GDT as we normally do.

- Our mock draft is now available - at least one of you is not going to be a fan of our 16th pick.  We also predict 47, 48, and 57.

- There's still time to enter our draft pool where you can pit your picks against other readers/posters.

Based on what I know, I would be very happy with your proposed #16 pick. :gohabsgo:

14 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Well a few of the big tournies last year were cancelled.

On 9/29/2020 at 7:00 PM, Commandant said:

16 is tough to predict who will be available.

Here are my rankings though. 

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020-nhl-entry-draft-headquarters/

Based on the rankings, I'd be pretty happy with:

16  Seth Jarvis - Also like Holloway (19), Amirov (20), and Reichel (35)

47  Topi Niemela (ranked 49th) - Also like Wiesblatt (47)

48  Jaromir Pytlik (ranked 56th) - Also like Chromiak (59)

57  Roby Jarventie (ranked 67th) - Also like Niederbach (70), Jurmo (71), and Heineman (76) 

78  Eamon Powell - Also like Simontaival (79), and Robbins (90)

98  William Dufour (ranked 103rd) - Also like Rolston (105)

102 Daniel Torgensson (ranked 106th) - Also like Cotton (108)

109 Maxim Groshev (ranked 112th) - Also like (Gogolev 114)

38 minutes ago, John B said:

16  Seth Jarvis - Also like Holloway (19), Amirov (20), and Reichel (35)

Jarvis if available, sounds great to me. Then i guess would be pulling for, Holloway, Mercer, or Guhle.

The Athletic's mock and comment for  mid 1st (Pronman);

1. Carolina Hurricanes: Hendrix Lapierre, C, Chicoutimi-QMJHL

Lapierre is healthy again, and has looked good in the QMJHL through exhibition and a couple regular-season games. He’s a highly skilled and intelligent forward, a lot of what Carolina looks for in a player. His name has been buzzing around the league the last week or so, especially after his great opening weekend. Jarvis is another player I could see go to Carolina.

1. Edmonton Oilers: Dylan Holloway, C, Wisconsin-Big 10

I’ve had Edmonton taking Holloway as a hunch for a bit and haven’t heard anything to move me off that position, but I do think Prince Albert defenseman Kaiden Guhle would be another possibility.

1. Toronto Maple Leafs: Jacob Perreault, RW, Sarnia-OHL

The Leafs usually target skill and the most skilled player left, according to the industry, would be Perreault. Some teams feel like Russian forward Rodion Amirov or Kamloops center Connor Zary would be considerations for the Leafs, too.

1. Montreal Canadiens: Kaiden Guhle, D, Prince Albert-WHL

Guhle and the Habs has been a rumor for a few weeks. I think they would be interested in Holloway, Perreault and German forward Lukas Reichel, as well.

1. Chicago Blackhawks: Dawson Mercer, C, Chicoutimi-QMJHL

Chicago and Mercer has been a team I’ve connected for a while, even though I’ve heard the Blackhawks linked to various other names in recent days, such as Holloway and the two WHL defensemen.

1. New Jersey Devils: Rodion Amirov, LW, Ufa-KHL

Amirov’s name has been gaining momentum a bit after his strong start to the season and he is a player a lot of teams are convinced won’t get out of the teens. The Devils haven’t used a high pick on a Russian in a while, but they have shown they are willing to pick Russians.

1. Calgary Flames: Connor Zary, C, Kamloops-WHL

Zary and the Flames has been a rumor I’ve heard more in recent days. Schneider is the other name I’ve heard mentioned to the Flames by teams.

1. New Jersey Devils: Lukas Reichel, LW, Berlin-DEL

Reichel’s name has been buzzing a lot lately with a lot of teams trying to size up where he’s going, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him go 5-7 spots higher than this.

2 hours ago, DON said:

The Athletic's mock and comment for  mid 1st (Pronman);

1. New Jersey Devils: Lukas Reichel, LW, Berlin-DEL

Reichel’s name has been buzzing a lot lately with a lot of teams trying to size up where he’s going, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him go 5-7 spots higher than this.

I've heard the same which is why he was brought up for Montreal's pick in our mock.  I think he's probably a player that should be in the 20's but is going to go in the teens and I know the Habs were one of the teams that was really keeping tabs on him this season.

38 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I've heard the same which is why he was brought up for Montreal's pick in our mock.  I think he's probably a player that should be in the 20's but is going to go in the teens and I know the Habs were one of the teams that was really keeping tabs on him this season.

Reichel is who you think they will take.

Who would you prefer, given what is on your board still at 16?

What are odds they trade away pick in a deal for a roster player, 20%?

5 hours ago, DON said:

Reichel is who you think they will take.

Who would you prefer, given what is on your board still at 16?

What are odds they trade away pick in a deal for a roster player, 20%?

Out of what's left on my board, Bourque would probably be my preference and he was the other one considered in the HW Mock.  My preference is Seth Jarvis but I think he's off the board by then.

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I wouldn't be happy with Reichel at 16, I've got him a lot lower.

And that was what I meant by my remark about one poster at least not liking the pick as I saw you had him late 1st/early 2nd.

• Upvote 1