Le Gros "Bill"?

beckham

Guillaune Latendresse? or Jean Bellveau?

Originally posted by HABS Fan Nr.1

Originally posted by shortcat1

Guillaune Latendresse? or Jean Bellveau?

Yea, also thought that ... maybe he already want to compare both because of Latendresse's training camp. :P

[Edited on 21-9-05 by HABS Fan Nr.1]

Yeah... but why "Le Gros Bill"?

Maybe he meant "Le Gros Will" ("Guillaume" in English translates as "William")

Personnaly I prefer Lats... or Tender... or Gui... or Train 84. :D

"All Aboard Train 84!"

Latendresse is big, and he could be called "Bill" if his name was Anglicized. Sooooo.....Le Gros "Bill"? He reminds me a bit of Beliveau in terms of his demeanor. Pleasant, respectful, down to earth.

I think the biggest thing the Habs top two picks have going for them are their personalities. It is not often you find young players as talented as Price and Latendresse who are so level headed and mature at the same time.

No Beckham, Guillaume Latendresse can't be referred to as ' Le Gros Bill'. Show some respect buddy.

Thats reserved for a guy who has been the face of the orginization since the 50's as a player and as an ambassador. ITs a name reserved for a guy that won 10 stanley cups, 10 Allstar appearances, was single out by league president Clarence Campbell as a roll model for kids, and was the only hockey player ever offered the position of Governor General Of Canada but humbly turned it down because he wouldn't be able to spend as much time with his family.

So no he can't be called 'Le Gros Bill'. Jean Beliveau has earned that name for himself, and in repect to Guillaume don't put so much pressure on him to live up to that name. Let him earn his own nickname in his own way.

I have to agree with kaos on this one. there's no way to put these two in the same boat. maybe in a few years we might be able to make a more reasonable comparison but not yet.

Originally posted by kaos

So no he can't be called 'Le Gros Bill'. Jean Beliveau has earned that name for himself, and in repect to Guillaume don't put so much pressure on him to live up to that name. Let him earn his own nickname in his own way.

Doesn't it translate to something like "Big Bird"? They didn't seem to have too much trouble calling Larry Robinson that...