Max Domi watch

With the rumors about resuming the 2019-2020 season this summer; maybe it is time to start watching for Max Domi's contract extension.

How much is a 0.67 PPG 24 year old forward worth?

Position: LW but seems to prefer Center Shoots: Left;

Height & Weight: 5-10, 193lb (178cm,87kg)

Current salary: $3,150,000

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2010-11 St. Michael's Buzzers OJHL 2 1 1 2 0   -- -- -- -- --
2011-12 London Knights OHL 62 21 28 49 48 13 19 4 5 9 10
2012-13 London Knights OHL 64 39 48 87 71 33 21 11 21 32 26
2013-14 London Knights OHL 61 34 59 93 90 24 9 4 6 10 8
2014-15 London Knights OHL 57 32 70 102 66 24 9 5 4 9 16
2015-16 Arizona Coyotes NHL 81 18 34 52 72 3 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Arizona Coyotes NHL 59 9 29 38 40 -9 -- -- -- -- --
2017-18 Arizona Coyotes NHL 82 9 36 45 73 -7 -- -- -- -- --
2018-19 Montreal Canadiens NHL 82 28 44 72 80 20 -- -- -- -- --
2019-20 Montreal Canadiens NHL 71 17 27 44 35 -3          
  NHL Totals   375 81 170 251 300        

Me neither, but when I tried to look at the roster and identify the top 6 and top forward prospects that will need ice time: I got stuck at trying to figure out where Domi fits and what his value is to the team

Individually, on “paper”, he should be a core player; but I am not convinced he has earned that yet on this team.

Reminds me of O’Reilly before going to St-Louis 

41 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Me neither, but when I tried to look at the roster and identify the top 6 and top forward prospects that will need ice time: I got stuck at trying to figure out where Domi fits and what his value is to the team

Individually, on “paper”, he should be a core player; but I am not convinced he has earned that yet on this team.

Reminds me of O’Reilly before going to St-Louis 

The money beats me, but I don’t see him as a core piece on a strong team. First of all, last season’s numbers are an outlier. He has consistently been a 45-50 point guy other than that. The smart money says that’s how you should pay him. Secondly, he is best at C, but his faceoffs and defensive zone play are below average. 

You can make the case that he’s a bit like a chipper version of David Desharnais - a decent top-6 C on a bubble team, but ultimately not a player you’d see eating major minutes on an elite club.

The difference with DD is that we know Domi has a higher potential ceiling - he showed that in 2018-19. If I trusted him to be a 70-point C year in and year out, I’d be willing to live with his deficiencies. The trouble is that only a fool would trust him to be that.

Whatever the $$$, then, a shorter-term transitional contract should be the way to go. If everything works the way it is supposed to, he will be crowded out at C by Suzuki and KoKo. My faith in the latter is much diminished, but the term on Domi’s deal should still leave room for this. Thus, the term more than the money is the key thing in this deal.

35 minutes ago, Commandant said:

2 years.. 11-12 million (5.5 - 6 AAV)

My thoughts exactly. +  Domi will not finish this contract with the Habs.

6 hours ago, tomh009 said:

If the plan is to trade him, would a three-year contract make sense? Would a (little bit) longer contract make him more attractive to another team?

That sounds reasonable 3 years at $6M AA$

2 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

4 years.. 22.5 million. 

I'll stick with 3x$6M because at age 27 Domi could negotiate his lucrative UFA contract while giving the CH some options to trade him ahead of that.

• 3 weeks later...

Some wise words. There. I just offered some wise words. ..ya .. I know.. its the times. Or perhaps the post... Cheers guys. 

• Upvote 1

I am so glad the CH will e in the playoffs, It will give us a chance to see how Domi performs. I posted on the 2020 playoffs thread a line-up with Domi at center, but if Kotkaniemi was healthy I would move Domi to the wing during the playoffs like this:

Tatar- Danault-Gallagher

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Domi-Suzuki-Byron

Lehkonen-Evans-Weal

Edited by alfredoh2009
tweaked lines

13 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am so glad the CH will e in the playoffs, It will give us a chance to see how Domi performs. I posted on the 2020 playoffs thread a line-up with Domi at center, but if Kotkaniemi was healthy I would move Domi to the wing during the playoffs like this:

Tatar- Danault-Gallagher

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Domi-Suzuki-Byron

Lehkonen-Evans-Weal

The trouble is that this playoff will not be representative of anything - especially in the early rounds. All the players' normal workout practices have been screwed up. Because of this there will be distortions: average players who maxed out their routines will look like stars; stars who struggled will look like plumbers. In the early going, anyhow. And since the Habs are unlikely to play more than five games, we probably will not have a sufficient sample size to draw meaningful conclusions.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The trouble is that this playoff will not be representative of anything - especially in the early rounds. All the players' normal workout practices have been screwed up. Because of this there will be distortions: average players who maxed out their routines will look like stars; stars who struggled will look like plumbers. In the early going, anyhow. And since the Habs are unlikely to play more than five games, we probably will not have a sufficient sample size to draw meaningful conclusions.

I hadn't thought it through like you TCC, you make a good point.

Now that I think more about it, I would probably move Domi to the wing and ask him if he wants to stay with the CH as one of their top six wingers. Even if we will be short on centers for the play-in. Something close to this:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Drouin-Suzuki-Domi (flipping wing sides if needed)

Byron-Weal-Armia

Lehkonen-Evans-Weise

Poehling instead of Evans if that works better

With Drouin and Domi on the wings, that second line should create some sparks. Suzuki is fine defensively and Drouin was playing much better this year. Domi should be as good as Kovalchuk was in his short stint, a bit faster offset by less commitment to D.

My thinking is that a productive Domi on either wing has a future in Montreal; Domi at center will mean trading him or one of the prospects in 2-3 years.

27 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hadn't thought it through like you TCC, you make a good point.

Now that I think more about it, I would probably move Domi to the wing and ask him if he wants to stay with the CH as one of their top six wingers. Even if we will be short on centers for the play-in. Something close to this:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Drouin-Suzuki-Domi (flipping wing sides if needed)

Byron-Weal-Armia

Lehkonen-Evans-Weise

With Drouin and Domi on the wings, that second line should create some sparks. Suzuki is fine defensively and Drouin was playing much better this year. Domi should be as good as Kovalchuk was in his short stint, a bit faster offset by less commitment to D.

My thinking is that a productive Domi on either wing has a future in Montreal; Domi at center will mean trading him or one of the prospects in 2-3 years.

I don't like that lineup at all. 

I don't want Drouin and Domi on the ice against the Malkin line... and I don't want Weal or Evans against him either.   I don't want Weal or Evans getting 14 minutes + as the third line centre. 

Moving Domi to the wing right now, when KK is not available, makes the team undeniably weaker in this series.  You need strength up the middle (especially against a team with Crosby/Malkin) and he's one of the three best centres right now. There is no way that Evans or Weal are better than he is. 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't like that lineup at all. 

I don't want Drouin and Domi on the ice against the Malkin line... and I don't want Weal or Evans against him either.   I don't want Weal or Evans getting 14 minutes + as the third line centre. 

Moving Domi to the wing right now, when KK is not available, makes the team undeniably weaker in this series.  You need strength up the middle and he's one of the three best centres right now. 

I know that he is one of the three best centers right now, a 60-70 point capable center. That is clear.

It just drives me nuts not knowing where he would fit under his next contract and I would not want to sour the relationship with the club by playing him at center now but tryin gto move him to wing later.

Also, I do not care much about winning the Pittsburgh series. I actually hope we lose it, but that we solidify the team for years to come by starting to mold a cup contending team: putting the players into the "right" positions (and that is quoted because it is just MHO)

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Also, I do not care much about winning the Pittsburgh series. I actually hope we lose it, but that we solidify the team for years to come by starting to mold a cup contending team: putting the players into the "right" positions (and that is quoted because it is just MHO)

Its the playoffs

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Not yet, its the "Play ins" as per NHL :rolleyes:

You still set your lineup to win.  You have lots of time to determine if you want to make him a winger or not. 

No need to do it now, especially as the limited sample size and the long break before this series means that you can't draw a lot of conclusions out of it for reasons Cucumber already said.  

You are much better off with Domi at C, lehkonen and Byron both in the top 9, and guys like Weal on the fourth line instead of getting bigger minutes. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

You still set your lineup to win.  You have lots of time to determine if you want to make him a winger or not. 

No need to do it now, especially as the limited sample size and the long break before this series means that you can't draw a lot of conclusions out of it for reasons Cucumber already said.  

You are much better off with Domi at C, lehkonen and Byron both in the top 9, and guys like Weal on the fourth line instead of getting bigger minutes. 

Why am I arguing 😜 Let's send Sid the Kid to the closest Tim Horton's  this summer and spoil their cup run:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Drouin-Domi-Armia

Lehkonen-Suzuki-Byron

Evans-Weal-Weise

GoHabsGo !

46 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Why am I arguing 😜 Let's send Sid the Kid to the closest Tim Horton's  this summer and spoil their cup run:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Drouin-Domi-Armia

Lehkonen-Suzuki-Byron

Evans-Weal-Weise

GoHabsGo !

But for that, you need some defensive capability on the second line, and Drouin and Domi are not known for that. Lehkonen-Suzuki-Armia can play D against the Malkin line and still generate opportunities, and Drouin-Domi-Byron will have a much easier assignment against the Pens' third line.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

But for that, you need some defensive capability on the second line, and Drouin and Domi are not known for that. Lehkonen-Suzuki-Armia can play D against the Malkin line and still generate opportunities, and Drouin-Domi-Byron will have a much easier assignment against the Pens' third line.

Lehkonen suzuki byron would also be good defensively though.  Byron is very good in his own end.

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I disagree , before he got injured Drouin 2.0 was applying himself on back checking . He was much better.

Armia is good too

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I disagree , before he got injured Drouin 2.0 was applying himself on back checking . He was much better.

Armia is good too

But Domi?