Romanov signs entry contract.

HabsWEST

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

For what it's worth, I don't think Chiarot is in the long-term plans either.  He's a placeholder for the youngsters if they develop properly.  A few years from now, their ideal LD would be the 'new guy' I suggested earlier, Romanov, and one of Struble or Norlinder.  One expensive player (new guy), one mid-tier priced player by then (Romanov as he'd be on his second contract), and someone on an ELC (Struble/Norlinder).

With regards to Mete's future, I don't think he's on Montreal's protection list a year from now, especially if Petry gets an early extension.  That would have Weber and Petry as two of the three protectees with one of Chiarot, Mete, Fleury, and Juulsen fending for the other.  Even though Romanov has played professionally the last two years, he's exempt at least.

I agree, I think a 3 year term was ideal length of a contract for Chiarot,  he will be very useful for the next 2 years and then hopefully some of the other guys will have developed to the point where they have some strength on the left side. 

36 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It seems odd for a "retooling" team to keep a Chiarot, who is 29 and not too fleet of foot to begin with, over a 21-year-old Mete. Then again, the Bergevin Habs seem completely incoherent on the question of any eventual "window," so I guess this sort of thing would not be surprising.

Chiarot is a good skater, he's not Mete, but last summer people were comparing him to Alzner.   Its very clear that not only is he not Alzner, if we look at the average NHL skater, he's above that line.  

The question becomes what is Mete.  Is he ever going to be a true top-4 defenceman (we've used him in that role, but is it what is best for him).  Lack of size and lack of offence is usually not a good combination. I'd like to see him bring a bit more offence if we are going to use him as a second pair guy.  Chiarot on the other hand is definitely capable of playing in the top 4. 

43 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

For what it's worth, I don't think Chiarot is in the long-term plans either.  He's a placeholder for the youngsters if they develop properly.  A few years from now, their ideal LD would be the 'new guy' I suggested earlier, Romanov, and one of Struble or Norlinder.  One expensive player (new guy), one mid-tier priced player by then (Romanov as he'd be on his second contract), and someone on an ELC (Struble/Norlinder).

With regards to Mete's future, I don't think he's on Montreal's protection list a year from now, especially if Petry gets an early extension.  That would have Weber and Petry as two of the three protectees with one of Chiarot, Mete, Fleury, and Juulsen fending for the other.  Even though Romanov has played professionally the last two years, he's exempt at least.

Hmmm...so the habs will indeed have to choose between Chiarot and Mete. I personally can't see keeping Fleury or Juulsen over Mete, myself.

In terms of what I was saying before, we could be looking at the Habs protecting a 35-year-old (Weber), a 33-year-old (Petry), and a 30-year-old (Chiarot). That just seems like a bizarre configuration for a team that is not at present a contender but is supposed to be building toward being one in - I don't know - 3-4 years. And this gets back to my prior point of the Habs appearing to have absolutely no coherent strategy in terms of building toward a "Cup window."

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

, or will be once Romy rounds into form.

The Tsar, or The Assassin sounds better.

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Chiarot is a good skater, he's not Mete, but last summer people were comparing him to Alzner.   Its very clear that not only is he not Alzner, if we look at the average NHL skater, he's above that line.  

The question becomes what is Mete.  Is he ever going to be a true top-4 defenceman (we've used him in that role, but is it what is best for him).  Lack of size and lack of offence is usually not a good combination. I'd like to see him bring a bit more offence if we are going to use him as a second pair guy.  Chiarot on the other hand is definitely capable of playing in the top 4. 

I would keep Mete in the minors to give him top pairing minutes and see if he develops some offensive. 

I would let him define who he is.

I do not want the Habs to extend Petry. 

That would leave a spot for Juulsen, Fleury or Mete and one for the new top pairing LD.

Chiarot is a good player to help the Habs bridge over their depth gap

7 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would keep Mete in the minors to give him top pairing minutes and see if he develops some offensive.

He needs to go through waivers to get to the minors now so that's not really an option for him.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He needs to go through waivers to get to the minors now so that's not really an option for him.

Oh no ! 😮  I was hoping he could still be hidden another season. 

I think that settles the bottom pair  in : Mete-Juulsen

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Or Juulsen-Romanov, if Julien could trust two rookies on a pairing.

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Mete follows a pattern of Habs rookies thrown into the NHL with minimal seasoning. It started, I guess, with Mike Ribeiro and Fatendresse, continued with Carey Price, Galchenyuk, then Mete, and then Kotkaniemi. In most of these cases - Price being maybe the exception - the team was coming off a terrible season and needed some "good news" story to distract the media and fans. Of course, the organization's defenders will insist that no, no, no, these were all sober hockey decisions made without reference to the PR which coincidentally helped to deflect criticism of management. But if you ask me, a pattern gets to be a pattern, and this one is highly suggestive.

Whether Mete would have developed better offensive chops had he been left to marinade in the minors, who knows? But from a development POV, most players probably do better by learning to dominate in the minors and then making the jump rather than being thrown into the deep end with the sharks.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Mete follows a pattern of Habs rookies thrown into the NHL with minimal seasoning. It started, I guess, with Mike Ribeiro and Fatendresse, continued with Carey Price, Galchenyuk, then Mete, and then Kotkaniemi. In most of these cases - Price being maybe the exception - the team was coming off a terrible season and needed some "good news" story to distract the media and fans. Of course, the organization's defenders will insist that no, no, no, these were all sober hockey decisions made without reference to the PR which coincidentally helped to deflect criticism of management. But if you ask me, a pattern gets to be a pattern, and this one is highly suggestive.

Whether Mete would have developed better offensive chops had he been left to marinade in the minors, who knows? But from a development POV, most players probably do better by learning to dominate in the minors and then making the jump rather than being thrown into the deep end with the sharks.

Agree 100% on this point, there was no need to rush Mete or KK,  as you said, better to let them dominate against their peer group or in the AHL, give them time to mature physically and mentally before they play full time against men.  It will be interesting with Romanov,  he has dominated in 2 world junior championships and played in the KHL,  he is much closer to being ready than Mete was but a year in the AHL never hurt anybody. 

While the contract is structured to allow the Habs to start it this year, Bill Daly doesn't think it will be an option.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/nhls-daly-would-be-very-surprised-if-alexander-romanov-is-eligible-to-play-this-season

Kaprizov is in a similar situation to Romanov (on reserve list, no transfer agreement restricting when he could sign) so if he's a no-go, then Romanov couldn't start now either.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree 100% on this point, there was no need to rush Mete or KK,  as you said, better to let them dominate against their peer group or in the AHL, give them time to mature physically and mentally before they play full time against men.  It will be interesting with Romanov,  he has dominated in 2 world junior championships and played in the KHL,  he is much closer to being ready than Mete was but a year in the AHL never hurt anybody. 

Two full seasons in the KHL. And he will be two and a half years older than Kotkaniemi was when he plays his first NHL game.

On 5/10/2020 at 2:08 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Hmmm...so the habs will indeed have to choose between Chiarot and Mete. I personally can't see keeping Fleury or Juulsen over Mete, myself.

In terms of what I was saying before, we could be looking at the Habs protecting a 35-year-old (Weber), a 33-year-old (Petry), and a 30-year-old (Chiarot). That just seems like a bizarre configuration for a team that is not at present a contender but is supposed to be building toward being one in - I don't know - 3-4 years. And this gets back to my prior point of the Habs appearing to have absolutely no coherent strategy in terms of building toward a "Cup window."

With consideration given to Petry resigning,you would have to think the habs would give serious consideration to Fleury over Mete considering all the current left defence prospects in the system I would think. This coming season will prove critical for Fleury in regard to maturation and Metes  to start putting up points. Mete NEEDS to start contributing on the scoreboard or he's toast!

• 1 month later...

Here is what we know about Romanov:

- He cannot play for the rest of this season and will not be allowed to take part in any skates with the team as only eligible players can be included in workouts or on the roster.

- Romanov can still sign for this year within a narrow window or wait and have the deal start next season.

If he signs to burn a year this season, it must be done with 53 hours following noon EST of the third day following NHLPA ratification.  Signing bonuses will not be permissible.  As a result, the Habs could structure the deal with a $700,000 base salary for this season which would slightly lower the cap hit in the other two years.  Romanov will not accrue a season of service time and thus would be a 10.2c player (like Poehling) when his contract is up.  He's ineligible for an offer sheet as a result.

If he waits to start the deal next season, signing bonuses will be allowed which will result in a higher AAV and he will be a restricted free agent (without arbitration rights) at its expiration.  However, the Habs would have a third year capped in the entry-level system which will be cheaper than what it would cost to sign him to his second deal two years from now in the first option.

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Here is what we know about Romanov:

- He cannot play for the rest of this season and will not be allowed to take part in any skates with the team as only eligible players can be included in workouts or on the roster.

- Romanov can still sign for this year within a narrow window or wait and have the deal start next season.

If he signs to burn a year this season, it must be done with 53 hours following noon EST of the third day following NHLPA ratification.  Signing bonuses will not be permissible.  As a result, the Habs could structure the deal with a $700,000 base salary for this season which would slightly lower the cap hit in the other two years.  Romanov will not accrue a season of service time and thus would be a 10.2c player (like Poehling) when his contract is up.  He's ineligible for an offer sheet as a result.

If he waits to start the deal next season, signing bonuses will be allowed which will result in a higher AAV and he will be a restricted free agent (without arbitration rights) at its expiration.  However, the Habs would have a third year capped in the entry-level system which will be cheaper than what it would cost to sign him to his second deal two years from now in the first option.

MB has to agree to burn the year as the Habs have to sign the contract as well ... makes no sense for Habs to do so (IMO) unless they fear Romanov will be so "peeved" that he would sign a deal with the KHL/SHL ... he would still be on a NHL ELC whenever (if) he returns but might make more until that time ... unlikely to happen, but a possibility

I expect he will sign for 2020-21 but get loaned out to a team in a European league (assuming they start up in September/October) to let Romanov get some games in before training camp in late November/December.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I expect he will sign for 2020-21 but get loaned out to a team in a European league (assuming they start up in September/October) to let Romanov get some games in before training camp in late November/December.

I get the idea behind it as it's not ideal to have him sitting but if the Habs intend to have Romanov on the NHL roster next season, do they really want him playing 15-20 games overseas and then trying to play upwards of 82 games in what will likely be a compressed timeframe?  We saw how Suzuki wore down during the year and going this route with Romanov all but guarantees it'll happen with him as well.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I get the idea behind it as it's not ideal to have him sitting but if the Habs intend to have Romanov on the NHL roster next season, do they really want him playing 15-20 games overseas and then trying to play upwards of 82 games in what will likely be a compressed timeframe?  We saw how Suzuki wore down during the year and going this route with Romanov all but guarantees it'll happen with him as well.

KHL stopped play March 25th ... if 2020-21 training camp opens near the end of November that would be essentially 8 months of no games for Romanov ... most of the other actual candidates to make the Habs will have had the mini-TC and at least three games against Pittsburgh ... given that Romanov is going to have to adjust to the NHL ice surface and style/speed of play I just don't think that you want him sitting out that long ... any "loan" could have some conditions about how many games he plays ... it could even be that he only practices (that at least gets him on the ice and working out) ...

Edited by GHT120

12 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

hes not getting loaned out anywhere... he's staying with the habs. 

Not for the season ... just until habs TC ... get him some "reps" ... but MB probably won't ... too innovative an idea

34 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Not for the season ... just until habs TC ... get him some "reps" ... but MB probably won't ... too innovative an idea

You can probably make that point without the backhanded insult against Bergevin.  Teams are pondering that procedure with lots of their prospects and some are leaning towards it and others against it.  To suggest that Bergevin wouldn't do it because it's too innovative (ie, complicated) doesn't contribute anything of value to the discussion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

You can probably make that point without the backhanded insult against Bergevin.  Teams are pondering that procedure with lots of their prospects and some are leaning towards it and others against it.  To suggest that Bergevin wouldn't do it because it's too innovative (ie, complicated) doesn't contribute anything of value to the discussion.

Wasn't intended to be backhanded ... don't see Habs as anything more than a "let's try to make the playoffs and hope" team under Bergevin ... and that is very disappointing as he was my first choice last time the GM job was open.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Wasn't intended to be backhanded ... don't see Habs as anything more than a "let's try to make the playoffs and hope" team under Bergevin ... and that is very disappointing as he was my first choice last time the GM job was open.

You want to go the Sather route of trading all your 1st round picks to 'go for it', without having the players to win it all? Then retire and hand it over to poor next guy , who has to blow it up and start anew.