Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HabsWEST

Romanov signs entry contract.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, DON said:

You want to go the Sather route of trading all your 1st round picks to 'go for it', without having the players to win it all? Then retire and hand it over to poor next guy , who has to blow it up and start anew.

 

No ... I am in the find a new GM and re-tool/rebuild around the 25 and under players ... retaining Petry and Gallagher as the veteran leadership

Edited by GHT120

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

 

Wasn't intended to be backhanded ... don't see Habs as anything more than a "let's try to make the playoffs and hope" team under Bergevin ... and that is very disappointing as he was my first choice last time the GM job was open.

I dont see the logic in lending out a player to say "europe" and expose them to injury or illness during a "pandemic" only to bring them back in November for the new season. What team is going to agree  to that let alone the player. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

 

I am in the find a new GM

Again, SUCH AS whom, give me a name or two you have in mind...anyone!

You want a better GM with proven track record, wing it with some no name with no GM experience, or just change for sake of change and keep fingers crossed Patrick Roy doesn't quit when he and Molson butt heads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DON said:

Again, SUCH AS whom, give me a name or two you have in mind...anyone!

You want a better GM with proven track record, wing it with some no name with no GM experience, or just change for sake of change and keep fingers crossed Patrick Roy doesn't quit when he and Molson butt heads.

 

If my best friend is in an abusive relationship I don't think I have to have someone selected for them to date before telling them to get out ... that is not change for the sake of change, it is hopefully change for their betterment and safety ... I say "hopefully", because there are never any guarantees for anything ... they could leave a physically abusive partner and end up with an emotionally abusive ... and like hiring a GM, I would have no control over it.

 

It is not the job of fans to find the GM ... it is ownership's job to hire GMs ... if they do as I hope, it is then also their job to decide whether to hire someone with previous experience or a "newbie" ...

 

I feel the current GM has not done anything to merit retaining his job ... the team has regressed in his time here ... in the 8 seasons before he arrived the team missed the playoffs twice ... in his 8 seasons he has missed the playoffs 4 times (even if they beat Pittsburgh, for evaluation purposes this season is a miss as they never would have had a sniff if not for Covid and the NHL's desire to have their TV market in the play-in)  ... his supposed good drafting is based on players that have yet to prove ANYTHING and while he may have, as many say, "won every trade" he has not managed to acquire any major upgrades to help the team become a solid playoff team let alone a Cup contender ... IMO that means he has not done his job and should be replaced.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I dont see the logic in lending out a player to say "europe" and expose them to injury or illness during a "pandemic" only to bring them back in November for the new season. What team is going to agree  to that let alone the player. 

 

Obviously if Covid is rampant in Russia/Sweden/Norway/etc. when the Habs would actually make the loan arrangement then it would make no sense ... duh ... but arrangements need not be made now ... if Covid is at a reasonable level wherever they are considering (say equivalent to staying in Montreal) then the benefit is getting Romanov sharp for training camp if they are expecting him to start the 2020-21 season with the Habs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

 

If my best friend is in an abusive relationship I don't think I have to have someone selected for them to date before telling them to get out ... that is not change for the sake of change, it is hopefully change for their betterment and safety ... I say "hopefully", because there are never any guarantees for anything ... they could leave a physically abusive partner and end up with an emotionally abusive ... and like hiring a GM, I would have no control over it.

 

It is not the job of fans to find the GM ... it is ownership's job to hire GMs ... if they do as I hope, it is then also their job to decide whether to hire someone with previous experience or a "newbie" ...

 

I feel the current GM has not done anything to merit retaining his job ... the team has regressed in his time here ... in the 8 seasons before he arrived the team missed the playoffs twice ... in his 8 seasons he has missed the playoffs 4 times (even if they beat Pittsburgh, for evaluation purposes this season is a miss as they never would have had a sniff if not for Covid and the NHL's desire to have their TV market in the play-in)  ... his supposed good drafting is based on players that have yet to prove ANYTHING and while he may have, as many say, "won every trade" he has not managed to acquire any major upgrades to help the team become a solid playoff team let alone a Cup contender ... IMO that means he has not done his job and should be replaced.

 

 

The team  finished in cellar when he took over, cant regress from that.

 

Many free agents want absolutely no part of working in Quebec (see Radulov as prime example), seems a non-starter for many (like a Tavares). So any Hab GM is starting with one arm tied behind back, unlike many other preferred destinations (NY, LA, TO, etc)

GM and Coach MUST be bilingual (extreme small pool to pick from)

Have had zero luck finding another Subban or Gallagher in 2nd or later rounds.

 

Maybe is some French assistant GM out there that fits the bill, I just haven't heard of any (since Brisbois is off market)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2020 at 11:09 AM, dlbalr said:

 

You can probably make that point without the backhanded insult against Bergevin.  Teams are pondering that procedure with lots of their prospects and some are leaning towards it and others against it.  To suggest that Bergevin wouldn't do it because it's too innovative (ie, complicated) doesn't contribute anything of value to the discussion.

 

Nice try Brian, but once again, a thread that wasn't about Bergevin, has devolved into a thread about Bergevin and and his leadership of the entire franchise, whether he should be replaced or not, who should replace him, etc...

 

Thanks for trying to keep the Romanov thread on Romanov and the Bergevin stuff can be in a thread about him, but alas... here we are again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Commandant said:

 

Nice try Brian, but once again, a thread that wasn't about Bergevin, has devolved into a thread about Bergevin and and his leadership of the entire franchise, whether he should be replaced or not, who should replace him, etc...

 

Thanks for trying to keep the Romanov thread on Romanov and the Bergevin stuff can be in a thread about him, but alas... here we are again. 

So your saying Bergy is growing on ya. Took awhile...kidding.

 

Just too bad Romanov couldn't come over and practice with team, I would think the more time he spends on small ice the better before next season starts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DON said:

The team  finished in cellar when he took over, cant regress from that.

 

Many free agents want absolutely no part of working in Quebec (see Radulov as prime example), seems a non-starter for many (like a Tavares). So any Hab GM is starting with one arm tied behind back, unlike many other preferred destinations (NY, LA, TO, etc)

GM and Coach MUST be bilingual (extreme small pool to pick from)

Have had zero luck finding another Subban or Gallagher in 2nd or later rounds.

 

Maybe is some French assistant GM out there that fits the bill, I just haven't heard of any (since Brisbois is off market)

 

 

 

(1) One year in the cellar after four years in the playoffs ... the core of that 2011-12 team made the playoffs in MB's glorious "turnaround" season ... the only significant additions were Galchenyuk and Gallagher ... Brendan wasn't even his draft pick ... that core then again made the playoffs the next two years ... but MB couldn't build on that

 

(2) Never criticized him for not signing elite free agents ... I totally agree Montreal is not high on the list of destinations ... but his UFAs have not been stellar even for the bottom half of the roster

(3) I am also of the opinion that a French VP/President of Hockey Operations should be hired ... it is important (IMO) that the face of management be fluently bilingual the VP/P and Molson then have to hire the best GM available

 

But we are not going to agree, and neither of us will change the other's mind because there is no RIGHT answer ... just opinions.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

 

(1) One year in the cellar after four years in the playoffs ... the core of that 2011-12 team made the playoffs in MB's glorious first season ... the only significant additions were Galchenyuk and Gallagher ... Brendan wasn't even his draft pick (who said he was) ... that core then again made the playoffs the next two years (and should of made it 2 years ago with the success they had)... but MB couldn't build on that

 

(2) Never criticized him (it applies to all Habs GMs for past 25 years anyways) for not signing elite free agents (Naslund, 1985, last Hab even in the top 10 in scoring)... I totally agree Montreal is not high on the list of destinations (that is an understatement for sure)

(3) I am also of the opinion that a French VP/President of Hockey Operations should be hired (is an idea that has been tried and disposed of by other teams already, even the Habs I think) ... it is important (IMO) that the face of management be fluently bilingual the VP/P and Molson then have to hire the best GM available (and Pigs can fly):D

 

If Molson can find a better GM candidate and axes Bergevin next August or tomorrow, it wont break my heart. But, he has been average success GM (as Habs go) and I assume the next will be as well, so why bother changing. Keep thinking maybe a Damphousse (why I don't know); but dont think he is even involved in hockey is he (RDS doesn't count)?

 

Is Romanov similar player to Darius Kasparitis, likely with bit more offense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DON said:

If Molson can find a better GM candidate and axes Bergevin next August or tomorrow, it wont break my heart. But, he has been average success GM (as Habs go) and I assume the next will be as well, so why bother changing. Keep thinking maybe a Damphousse (why I don't know); but dont think he is even involved in hockey is he (RDS doesn't count)?

 

Is Romanov similar player to Darius Kasparitis, likely with bit more offense?

 

Haven't seen enough of Romanov to say ... but that is an opinion I have read in a couple of places ... they could certainly do worse ... especially for a 2nd rounder ... also like what I've read (and the little I have seen) or Norlinder, but it seems he is more of a 2021-22 prospect

 

Get where you are coming from with MB ... but I just don't see MB being the guy to make the Habs a Cup contender ... and as a spoiled child of the late 60s and 70s I am bloody tired of average , of the playoffs being a passing grade and a Cup semi-finals being a TREMENDOUS success ... 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

 

Haven't seen enough of Romanov to say ... but that is an opinion I have read in a couple of places ... they could certainly do worse ... especially for a 2nd rounder ... also like what I've read (and the little I have seen) or Norlinder, but it seems he is more of a 2021-22 prospect

 

Get where you are coming from with MB ... but I just don't see MB being the guy to make the Habs a Cup contender ... and as a spoiled child of the late 60s and 70s I am bloody tired of average , of the playoffs being a passing grade and a Cup semi-finals being a TREMENDOUS success ... 

 

 

The playoffs are no longer just a passing grade.  Getting into the playoffs is now considered a TREMENDOUS success.  Because you know, if you get in the playoffs, anything can happen.  No need to build a solid team like Tampa Bay, because they can even get swept in the first round.  What’s the point of having a team that can dominate during the regular season if they can still get swept in the first round of the playoffs?? 
 

no sir!  All we need to do is build a team that has a chance to be a wildcard team - or hope for more black swan type events that can get us into a play-in, because a play-in may get us into the playoffs and than anything can happen and we can still win the cup!  It’s so great to become the Ballard leafs!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The playoffs are no longer just a passing grade.  Getting into the playoffs is now considered a TREMENDOUS success.  Because you know, if you get in the playoffs, anything can happen.  No need to build a solid team like Tampa Bay, because they can even get swept in the first round.  What’s the point of having a team that can dominate during the regular season if they can still get swept in the first round of the playoffs?? 
 

no sir!  All we need to do is build a team that has a chance to be a wildcard team - or hope for more black swan type events that can get us into a play-in, because a play-in may get us into the playoffs and than anything can happen and we can still win the cup!  It’s so great to become the Ballard leafs!!!

And Romanov?^_^

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2020 at 10:32 AM, GHT120 said:

 

Not for the season ... just until habs TC ... get him some "reps" ... but MB probably won't ... too innovative an idea

Can you point out your obviously! or duh points?

 

The only "duh" point or obviously! Is the fact the Montreal Canadiens will NOT be loaning out there prized defensive prospect to ANY team not named Laval.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2020 at 9:40 AM, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Can you point out your obviously! or duh points?

 

The only "duh" point or obviously! Is the fact the Montreal Canadiens will NOT be loaning out there prized defensive prospect to ANY team not named Laval.

 

 

"Obviously" and "duh" are the elementary logic that there would be no reason to even consider loaning him out to a team in a situation more Covid dangerous than it is in Montreal.

 

I am not predicting a loan, just suggesting that Romanov might benefit ... shaking off 8 months of "rust" while adjusting to the NHL game and the smaller ice surface is quite a challenge ... if MB's plan is to have Romanov in the lineup opening night 20/21 then a loan could facilitate that ... BUT, if the plan is to see what happens at 20/21 TC and unless Romanov "kicks in the door" he starts in Laval, then no need to try and get him playing time before then

And it is not  a fact that the "the Montreal Canadiens will NOT be loaning out there prized defensive prospect to ANY team not named Laval" ... it is your opinion ... and, again, I am not saying they will do this, just suggesting the possibility if a European league starts well before 20/21 TC ... also relevant to consider, the AHL is unlikely to start before the NHL so not an option for a "head start"

 

 

EDIT: Romanov signing and joining team (likely in Toronto after quarantine and immigration - see Don's post right below) makes the POSSIBILITY of a loan less likely ... expect a few players will move themselves/families to Montreal once the Habs are eliminated to get settled for 20-21 ... thus there may be players practicing on their own a couple of times a week, which will help Romanov get the feel of the North American ice surface and stay/get in shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When will Romanov arrive and will he need to do 14 day quarantine?

Basu athletic;

First, the Canadiens noted in their news release Sunday evening that Romanov will need to serve a quarantine after arriving from Russia before taking part in camp. What it did not mention was that Romanov will also need to secure a visa and complete the immigration process before leaving Russia, which could take some time as well.

The Phase 3 training camp runs through July 26, when the Canadiens will leave for Toronto. When you account for a quarantine of eight days (during which time Romanov will need to produce four negative COVID-19 tests) and the time it will take him to complete the visa process, which includes taking a medical, plus a day of travel from Russia, we’re talking about a bare minimum of 11 days combined, most probably more.

So Romanov is likely to miss most, if not all, of training camp. But he would be allowed to go to Toronto on July 26 and be part of the Canadiens’ traveling bubble, a trip that could be over as early as Aug. 5 if the Canadiens were to be swept by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the play-in round. And he won’t play a single game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was so stoked when I saw an article title saying Romanov was coming over.  The entire article was saying how good he is etc, and the last paragraph it finally mentioned he was ineligible to play.  Damn click bait titles.  🤣

 

I havent seen tons of him but Romanov looks impressive.  Romanov doesnt score a lot in the KHL, but he does seem to have offensive talent.  Defensively he always seems to be in the right spot and doing the right thing.  That skill can sorta be taught - to a certain degree.  However, that skill is something that the great players just automatically know.   (KK seems to have that same talent for a Centre.)     

 

As for MB - I dont mind him, he's done some good moves, but has also done some silly things too.  He seems to be great at doing small little moves that have a fairly big reward.  ex:  every year he seems to have a knack at acquiring a player about 4-6 weeks before the trade deadline that appears to be a nothing a move but it significantly improves the team; and at a cost of almost nothing.  That is what he does best, is his pick collecting concept where he just picking up draft picks, and then plays around with them. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... I havent seen tons of him but Romanov looks impressive.  Romanov doesnt score a lot in the KHL, but he does seem to have offensive talent.  Defensively he always seems to be in the right spot and doing the right thing.  That skill can sorta be taught - to a certain degree.  However, that skill is something that the great players just automatically know ...

 

Interesting comment I heard on TSN690 one day from a KHL player (can't remember for the life of me who) is that the KHL is a defensive league ... contrary to the perception of many for wide-ice surface leagues ... it is also often said that KHL teams often don't "feature" players they suspect will be leaving ... so his 14 points in 14 WJHC may be more indicative of his potential ... as does his winning the Best Defenceman award when the tournament was held in Vancouver/Victoria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

 

Interesting comment I heard on TSN690 one day from a KHL player (can't remember for the life of me who) is that the KHL is a defensive league ... contrary to the perception of many for wide-ice surface leagues ... it is also often said that KHL teams often don't "feature" players they suspect will be leaving ... so his 14 points in 14 WJHC may be more indicative of his potential ... as does his winning the Best Defenceman award when the tournament was held in Vancouver/Victoria

 

That is totally possible that the KHL is more defensive minded; and they likely dont showcase top prospects that will soon leave.  It is a shame he didnt win top dman in WJ in the 2nd year.

 

I've definitely seen numerous clips of him in situations where they're boxing out, and he's constantly looking around and then adjusting and moving slightly into the correct places to be able to shut down passing lanes.  It seems like he always mindful and puts a lot of forethought into where he should be and what he should be doing in any given situation.   It sort of reminds me of Nicklas Lidström who was incredible at knocking the puck out of the air when people tried to go around him near the blue line.  It seems like Romanov has the same sort of stick skills with passing lanes and being able to interrupt saucer and flip passes. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

 

That is totally possible that the KHL is more defensive minded; and they likely dont showcase top prospects that will soon leave.  It is a shame he didnt win top dman in WJ in the 2nd year.

 

I've definitely seen numerous clips of him in situations where they're boxing out, and he's constantly looking around and then adjusting and moving slightly into the correct places to be able to shut down passing lanes.  It seems like he always mindful and puts a lot of forethought into where he should be and what he should be doing in any given situation.   It sort of reminds me of Nicklas Lidström who was incredible at knocking the puck out of the air when people tried to go around him near the blue line.  It seems like Romanov has the same sort of stick skills with passing lanes and being able to interrupt saucer and flip passes. 

 

welcome (back)

I joined after you left, but I can tell I will like you already.  Good analysis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

 

... It sort of reminds me of Nicklas Lidström who was incredible at knocking the puck out of the air when people tried to go around him near the blue line.  It seems like Romanov has the same sort of stick skills with passing lanes and being able to interrupt saucer and flip passes. 

 

Wouldn't that be WONDERFUL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...