Canadiens Sign Cam Hillis to ELC

Commandant

I'm a bit puzzled as to what took so long.  This was basically obvious back in February when Bergevin made his comments about signing 1 out of the 4 and Hillis is the best one of that group.  I was expecting this to be done in March.

And no performance bonuses were negotiated, either. Unless Hillis was holding out for some, but it seems unlikely.

CapFriendly reports that he'll wear #88.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I'm a bit puzzled as to what took so long.  This was basically obvious back in February when Bergevin made his comments about signing 1 out of the 4 and Hillis is the best one of that group.  I was expecting this to be done in March.

Is it possible that the announcement that the AHL season was cancelled may have a link to waiting to sign?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

And no performance bonuses were negotiated, either. Unless Hillis was holding out for some, but it seems unlikely.

CapFriendly reports that he'll wear #88.

CapFriendly used a placeholder of the max ELC base but the details of the contract are now as follows:

2020-21: $700,000 NHL salary, $92,500 signing bonus, $132,500 performance bonuses, $70,000 AHL salary, $10,500 junior salary
2021-22: $750,000 NHL salary, $92,500 signing bonus, $82,500 performance bonuses, $70,000 AHL salary
2022-23: $800,000 NHL salary, $80,000 signing bonus, no performance bonuses, $70,000 AHL salary

14 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Is it possible that the announcement that the AHL season was cancelled may have a link to waiting to sign?

Anything is possible but I don't see why one would be related to the other.  Had the season continued, Hillis would have stayed in junior until his postseason ended and if Laval was still playing by then, he could have signed an ATO deal to finish up with them.  That would have been the case whether or not they signed him in March, April, or May so the cancellation of the season shouldn't have had any bearing on contract talks.  If I had to guess, they're just focusing on one file (player) at a time and the recent priority went to the Russian signings.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I do not remember ever seeing a contract that included a salary of player remained in junior.

is that new?

I think it's more common than we see reported.  There is a clause that allows teams to do it and I wouldn't be shocked if it was standard in most contracts for top picks (especially for the ones that sign at 18 and go back to junior for two years)  even though it rarely gets mentioned.  It's less common for mid-tier guys to get it as far as I know.  I think that provision is just in there in case the CHL starts up again but the AHL doesn't.  They could loan Hillis back and he'd still at least get something beyond OHL per diem.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Anything is possible but I don't see why one would be related to the other.  Had the season continued, Hillis would have stayed in junior until his postseason ended and if Laval was still playing by then, he could have signed an ATO deal to finish up with them.  That would have been the case whether or not they signed him in March, April, or May so the cancellation of the season shouldn't have had any bearing on contract talks.  If I had to guess, they're just focusing on one file (player) at a time and the recent priority went to the Russian signings.

I think it's more common than we see reported.  There is a clause that allows teams to do it and I wouldn't be shocked if it was standard in most contracts for top picks (especially for the ones that sign at 18 and go back to junior for two years)  even though it rarely gets mentioned.  It's less common for mid-tier guys to get it as far as I know.  I think that provision is just in there in case the CHL starts up again but the AHL doesn't.  They could loan Hillis back and he'd still at least get something beyond OHL per diem.

Thanks

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

CapFriendly used a placeholder of the max ELC base but the details of the contract are now as follows:

2020-21: $700,000 NHL salary, $92,500 signing bonus, $132,500 performance bonuses, $70,000 AHL salary, $10,500 junior salary
2021-22: $750,000 NHL salary, $92,500 signing bonus, $82,500 performance bonuses, $70,000 AHL salary
2022-23: $800,000 NHL salary, $80,000 signing bonus, no performance bonuses, $70,000 AHL salary

So, there are substantial performance bonuses. Maybe that's what took this long.

How does a "junior salary" work? He gets paid (only $10,500, but still) for paying in the OHL? Is this common?

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

So, there are substantial performance bonuses. Maybe that's what took this long.

How does a "junior salary" work? He gets paid (only $10,500, but still) for paying in the OHL? Is this common?

Those performance bonuses look like the usual GP ones that are included in a lot of Montreal's mid-tier prospect contracts.  I mentioned the frequency a couple of posts earlier - I think it's in a lot of deals and just goes unreported.