Carey Price Lives Rent Free in Other Player's Heads

Commandant

Apparently a 24 team playoff is complicating things, cause players are scared of facing Carey Price in the playoffs. 

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Don't they realize that the team in front of him is shit?

https://nypost.com/2020/05/19/fear-of-carey-price-part-of-nhls-complicated-return-equation/

• Upvote 1

Ssssshhhh...  I really don't want this 24-team setup, I want decent draft picks in a year when we have a ton of them. If the Fear of Carey makes that NOT happen, all the better.

29 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Ssssshhhh...  I really don't want this 24-team setup, I want decent draft picks in a year when we have a ton of them. If the Fear of Carey makes that NOT happen, all the better.

Meh, we aren't making the conference final, so our draft order will remain unchanged.

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Meh, we aren't making the conference final, so our draft order will remain unchanged.

Agreed (on conference finals). Maybe (on draft order). No one knows yet what scheme they will finally settle on.

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I’d prefer a chance at the top 2 picks in the lottery. But who knows, maybe we get MVP price showing up he’s pull off the 1-0 hasek wins to overcome our porous D and pop gun offence and prevent us from being instant roadkill. 

Don Luszczyszyn

Habs & Hawks playoff odds could go from 0% to 40% if go with 24 team scenario

Stars odds drop from 96% to 61%

Not fair; but doesnt matter, for the owners is all about the $$.

Have missed the last 2 weeks of season; but have little interest in any summer hockey, no matter the format. Especially if it means next season is delayed.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Don Luszczyszyn

Habs & Hawks playoff odds could go from 0% to 40% if go with 24 team scenario

Stars odds drop from 96% to 61%

Not fair; but doesnt matter, for the owners is all about the $$.

Have missed the last 2 weeks of season; but have little interest in any summer hockey, no matter the format. Especially if it means next season is delayed.

I think to have any chance of live audiences next year, they have to delay the start of season  anyways.

If everything was just cancelled, the league will lose over $1.1 billion in revenue. 

So that would mean the owners lose 550 million and the players also lose over 550 million through escrow. 

Now consider all the hoops they have to jump through just to get games back.... Putting them in hub cities, testing players, quarantining players and officials, agreeing to extend contracts with the NHLPA, etc... etc...

Of course they want to maximize the amount of money they can get back. 

Even with 8 more teams and best 3 out of 5 playoff series, its still less games than if they just finished the season. 

On top of that, you are playing those games, plus the entire playoffs with no ticket sales, no parking/concession revenue, no money from luxury boxes, etc... etc.... 

So they are maybe making back 30-40% of what they were expecting to make. 

Add on that next season is likely to start with no fans, or even if its with fans, it will be reduced capacity for social distancing.  Even if everything is solved, there still might not be sellouts as some people will be scared.  So future revenue is uncertain. 

Are they doing everything possible to make as much money as possible here?  Of course they are.  

Can I blame them?  Not one bit given the circumstances. 

To me there are only two questions here. 

1) Can we play safely?  If you come up with a plan that you think its safe to play then you get to two.

2) How do we maximize the revenue from playing?  Tradition or previous standings be damned, this season will always have an asterix, no matter what you do, so just get goofy with it, make as much money as you can. 

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think to have any chance of live audiences next year, they have to delay the start of season  anyways.

Agreed.  I think we're looking at December at the earliest as a start date.

I think their 'Plan A' scenario is about this:

Early/mid-July to early September: Playoffs

Mid-September: Draft

A few days after the draft: Free Agency

Early/mid-November: Start of training camp

I've seen 1.5 to 2.5 months thrown around as the minimum offseason.  This would at least get them two full months before training camp which is about three weeks shy of the usual length.  That's not way off the mark.

I'll be very intrigued to see how they plan to safely play 82 games next season (their stated goal).  I'd think they're planning to run into July already at this point.

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

4-5 years ago maybe they had something to be scared of. The last three years has been mediocre to above average. Hardly a guy people should fear any more, especially with this team in front of him.

While Carey Price is still an excellent NHL goalie - especially if you discount the November funks he's had over the last couple of seasons - I think the overstated fear of Price illustrates a belief I've long had about NHL players: they go by reputations rather than by an up-to-date assessment of either players or organizations, and those reputations are very "sticky." Look at someone like Karlsson signing with San Jose. Now maybe he just went for the coin, but I suspect he had strongly in his mind that San Jose is a "contending team" - failing to understand that the core is aging rapidly and that he is likely looking at spending most of his remaining career on a rebuilding team. Yet anyone looking at them objectively would have seen this. For years and years, we heard Detroit still spoken of as some sort of organizational gold standard, long after they had quietly declined into middling-to-mediocre quality.

Or, Babcock. Spoken of as some kind of great hockey mind, even after he hadn't won a playoff series for years.

Another example is when we dumped Koivu and signed Gomez. I remember quotes from players saying that showed the Habs were finally getting "serious about winning." This assessment was based purely on Gomez's rep as a two-time Cup champ and a guy with a massive salary, rather than on an objective assessment of the two players.

(If the Habs ever become a good team, incidentally, it will likely take us a number of years to overcome the longstanding, and currently quite accurate, view among players that the organization is mediocre.)

• Upvote 1

I think a rested, not overworked Price is something to be feared, especially in a 3 out of 5. 

We've seen him be a lot better when he even gets one or two games off.

He was also darn good from January 1st to the end of the season. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2020 at 8:19 PM, Commandant said:

I think a rested, not overworked Price is something to be feared, especially in a 3 out of 5. 

We've seen him be a lot better when he even gets one or two games off.

He was also darn good from January 1st to the end of the season. 

Problem is that the restart is more like the beginning of the season, when he hasn't been all that good in recent years

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Problem is that the restart is more like the beginning of the season, when he hasn't been all that good in recent years

He's been good at the beginning of the year, and bad in November.

The last two years he had real struggles in November, but was good out of the gate. 

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

He's been good at the beginning of the year, and bad in November.

The last two years he had real struggles in November, but was good out of the gate. 

I wouldn't agree that he was good out of the gate last 2 seasons at all. 

Last 2 seasons show how inconsistent he has been in october... on and off on and off.

When half your games total in october over 2 seasons are under .899%. I would be very skeptical to say he was good out the gate. 

On 5/21/2020 at 4:34 PM, Commandant said:

If everything was just cancelled, the league will lose over $1.1 billion in revenue. 

So that would mean the owners lose 550 million and the players also lose over 550 million through escrow.

Yet, they have absolutely no problem shutting down NHL season for every CBA.

The billionaire owners will get by losing all of $17.7m each (less than 1 bad contract) And the players are so overpaid, who cares if they cant afford a new 2nd home and doubt we will need to pass around a hat for poor Price or Weber or any Hab.

Cancel the season already!

19 hours ago, DON said:

Yet, they have absolutely no problem shutting down NHL season for every CBA.

The billionaire owners will get by losing all of $17.7m each (less than 1 bad contract) And the players are so overpaid, who cares if they cant afford a new 2nd home and doubt we will need to pass around a hat for poor Price or Weber or any Hab.

Cancel the season already!

Excellent point, DON.

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

And Now we know why teams are scared of Carey Price. 

There is a reason that he consistently gets voted the best goalie in the league by the players 

1 hour ago, illWill said:

There is a reason that he consistently gets voted the best goalie in the league by the players 

Oh hes clearly the best.

The shit defence in front of him and the fact we play him 70 games hurts his stats.

54 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Oh hes clearly the best.

The shit defence in front of him and the fact we play him 70 games hurts his stats.

Watching what a rested Price can do makes me wonder if overworking him the past few years has been even stupider than I thought

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Watching what a rested Price can do makes me wonder if overworking him the past few years has been even stupider than I thought

Sadly that was the only way they had any chance at all of making the playoffs via the normal route ... a quality backup (25-40 games IMO) is a necessity ... Primeau needs to get tons of work in Laval (maybe some pre-planned starts for Habs when the travel for him to join the team is convenient; noting that Price normally gets almost all the home games) so unless Lindgren, McNiven or Demchenko is that guy it will cost the Habs more cap space than in recent years ... Demchenko is the interesting variable as he is a relative unknown to the North American game.