M Richard, J Beliveau, G Lafleur!

Brett38

We all know that the Rocket is probably the best known or the best player the Habs have ever had. Second spot would probably go to Beliveau and third probably to Lafleur. Some would put Guy ahead of Beliveau...not me.

Rank your top 10 habs players of all-time. I'll go first!

1. M Richard...

2. J Beliveau

3. G Lafleur

4. Y Cournoyer

5. L Robinson

6. H Richard

7. B Geoffrion

8. P Roy

9. D Harvey

10. J Plante

Honourable Mention: Howie Morenz

After doing this, I see where I can change the order of a few. I'll leave it "as is."

Maybe move Cournoyer down somewhere and Morenz up higher. Maybe move Robinson down a little and move Harvey up. There are so many more I left out...Lach, S. Savard, Blake, Joliat, Shutt, Vezina, Hainsworth, etc. The list goes on and on!! It could be a nightmare trying to fill out the roster. So many great players.

[Edited on 2005/9/30 by Brett38]

Nice post...but its spelt Lafleur, Cournoyer and Geoffrion

MY List

Maurice Richard

Jean Beliveau

Guy Lafleur

Jaques Plante

Ken Dryden

Patrick Roy

Georges Vezina

Jaques Plante

Doug Harvey

Howie Morenz

Bob Gainey

I'll stop at eleven

1. M Richard

2. J Beliveau

3. G Lafleur

4. H Richard

5. L Robinson

6. J Plante

7. P Roy

8. B Gainey

9. Y Cournoyer

10. H Morenz

Honourable mention: Jan Bulis

By the way, try and spell the players's names right.

[Edited on 2005/9/26 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

Originally posted by kaos

MY List

Maurice Richard

Jean Beliveau

Guy Lafleur

Jaques Plante

Ken Dryden

Patrick Roy

Georges Vezina

Jaques Plante

Doug Harvey

Howie Morenz

Bob Gainey

I'll stop at eleven

I can't believe I did that. Lock me up and throw away the key..

I always had trouble with "Cournoyer". No excuses for Lafleur and Geoffrion...ha!

MY List

Maurice Richard

Jean Beliveau

Guy Lafleur

Jaques Plante

Ken Dryden

Patrick Roy

Georges Vezina

Jaques Plante

Doug Harvey

Howie Morenz

Bob Gainey

I'll stop at eleven

I think Plante is there twice!!!

MY List

Maurice Richard

Jean Beliveau

Guy Lafleur

Jaques Plante

Ken Dryden

Patrick Roy

Georges Vezina

Jaques Plante

Doug Harvey

Howie Morenz

Bob Gainey

I'll stop at eleven

You wrote Plante twice so that's a perfect 10.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

1. M Richard

2. J Beliveau

3. G Lafleur

4. H Richard

5. L Robinson

6. J Plante

7. P Roy

8. B Gainey

9. Y Cournoyer

10. H Morenz

Honourable mention: Jan Bulis

By the way, try and spell the players's names right.

[Edited on 2005/9/26 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

I've already appologized!!! Must be my age...ha!

Maurice Richard

Jean Beliveau

Guy Lafleur

Doug Harvey

Jacques Plante

Howie Morenz

Henri Richard

Georges Vézina

Bill Durnan

Ken Dryden

+ Bob Gainey, Newsy Lalonde, George Hainsworth & Serge Savard

Here's my rankings:

1. M. Richard

2. J. Beliveau

3. H. Morenz

4. P. Roy

5. J. Plante

6. G. Lafleur

7. D. Harvey

8. G. Vezina

9. L. Robinson

10. B. Gainey

IMHO some of you are underrating Patrick Roy. He finished with most career wins and carried two unlikely Montreal teams to the Stanley Cup.

Originally posted by Peter Puck

Here's my rankings:

1. M. Richard

2. J. Beliveau

3. H. Morenz

4. P. Roy

5. J. Plante

6. G. Lafleur

7. D. Harvey

8. G. Vezina

9. L. Robinson

10. B. Gainey

IMHO some of you are underrating Patrick Roy. He finished with most career wins and carried two unlikely Montreal teams to the Stanley Cup.

I'm not underrating Patrick Roy. I didn't include him because 1) he didn't play his whole career with Montreal and 2) he had some more great years with another team (Colorado). Serge Savard comes in the same category. His last two years with the Winnipeg Jets were just sort of an afterthought in his career.

I know that Jacques Plante played with the Rangers for a bit (traded for Gump Worsley) but his BIG years were with Montreal.

Originally posted by shortcat1
Originally posted by Peter Puck

I'm not underrating Patrick Roy. I didn't include him because 1) he didn't play his whole career with Montreal and 2) he had some more great years with another team (Colorado). Serge Savard comes in the same category. His last two years with the Winnipeg Jets were just sort of an afterthought in his career.

I know that Jacques Plante played with the Rangers for a bit (traded for Gump Worsley) but his BIG years were with Montreal.

Okay we each have our own rankings. But ... Roy played 10 (or 9 1/2) seasons with Montreal and Dryden only played 8. Of course Dryden won 6 cups in his 8 years but he had much much better teammates. Dryden did win us the cup in 71 but Roy won us 2 cups.

Originally posted by shortcat1

Don't forget that Guy Lafleur played 1 year with the Rangers and 2 years with the Nordiques. I don't think these extra years at the end of his career should overshadow his great Habs carreer. The same applies to Savard.

Originally posted by beckham

Doug Harvey was the most underrated Habs of all time.

I always considered him to be one of the most overrated. I only heard of him a few years after I started following hockey and only because his number was retired.

What were some of his achievements in his career?

Originally posted by beckham

Doug Harvey was the most underrated Habs of all time.

Not at the time, he wasn't.

Also, a while back, the NHL made a list of the top 100 players of all times.

I'll give you the top 10.

10. Eddie Shore

9. Mark Messier

8. Jean Beliveau

7. Patrick Roy

6. Maurice Richard

5. Doug Harvey

4. Mario Lemieux

3. Gordie Howe

2. Bobbie Orr

1. You'll never guess who this would be and I'm not telling you.

A list by The Hockey News has these guys as the top 10.

1. Wayne Gretzky, C

2. Bobby Orr, D

3. Gordie Howe, RW

4. Mario Lemieux, C

5. Maurice Richard, RW

6. Doug Harvey, D

7. Jean Beliveau, C

8. Bobby Hull, LW

9. Terry Sawchuk, G

10. Eddie Shore, D

So, # 5/6 and second best ever defenseman. No underrated player at all.

Likely the 'underrating' comes from the fact that most of us were a few decades away from being a sparkle in our dad's eye so, someone in the 50's would never be even though of unless he was a monumental player like Maurice Richard. Interestingly, this monumental player is considered as Harvey himself.

That's one of the reason I included players from the 10's, 20's and 30's because they were great and they were recognized as such at the time ahd have been since. They're ALL hall-of-famers. :hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo:

Well guys...do the math!

I was born in 1935...really. Probably older than some or most of your grandparents. I had Harvey ranked at #9, but I did say that he could move up and Robinson who was at #5 could move down. That would bring Harvey up to #5. I would rank him second only to Bobby Orr for defenceman for their era. I will say that Bob Gainey was a man of hustle. We all know what the Soviets thought of him. He hardly ever celebrated a goal except for maybe briefly raising his stick for a second. Something like Yzerman and Sakic do. Gainey was a very modest guy. He was also one of the damn ugliest guys to play hockey. He would scare the opponent half to death...according to some of his team mates.

Also, Cournoyer was high on my list because he was so damn fast and exciting to watch. All those Stanley Cups. He was short, but made up for that in speed and his shot. You couldn't hit what you couldn't catch.

Now, probably the most gentlemanly player to ever lace up a pair of skates was Jean Beliveau. Players from the opposing team didn't even want to hit him hard because he was so nice. Ted Lindsey mentioned that story back several years ago.

Maurice Richard!!

I don't think I have to say more.

<i>I always considered him to be one of the most overrated. I only heard of him a few years after I started following hockey and only because his number was retired.

What were some of his achievements in his career? </i>

How does 7 Norris trophys sound to you?

or 10 time First All-star team?

6 Stanley Cups?

I never got the chance to see him play but those are pretty sick credentials.

1- M.Richard

2- G.Lafleur

3- J.Beliveau

4- P.Roy

5- J.Plante

6- L.Robinson

7- Y.Cournoyer

8- B.Gainey

9- S.Shutt

10- G.Carbonneau

Ken Dryden was one of my favorites growing up as a kid, and would of made this list 10 years ago...But how do you respect a former habs who was willing to help the maple laughs win a stanley cup! Not this kid!!

GO HABS GO!!!!!!:hlogo:

1. The Rocket. Nuff said.

2. Howie Morenz. A legend from the mists of time, as awe-inspiring to his generation as the Rocket was later. Established the archetype for the Habs---swift, skilled, and 'exotic' even though he was from Ontario! :lol:

3. Jacques Plante. The man revolutionized goaltending. Greatest goalie ever, therefore, and Sawchuck fans can roll over and croak.

4. Jean Beliveau. The personification of the classiness that people associated with the Canadiens organization from the 1950s to, say, 1990s. That many people say mario Lemieux reminds them of Beliveau is a testament to the latter's talent on the ice.

5. Doug Harvey. Hey, if he's #5 and #6 on those lists of all-time greatest players, that's good enough pour moi.

6. Guy Lafleur. I still see that game 7 goal against Boston in 1979 in my dreams :/) (The amazing thing is that you can reasonably put a player like Guy as far down as #6---now that's tradition).

7. Larry Robinson. Arguably the best D-man of his generation, with Salming and Potvin. Indisputably the 2nd-best defenceman in team history.

8. Patrick Roy. The man carried us to two Cups. Again, 'nuff said. And remember The Wink in 1993? ::D

Things get tougher at this point, but I'd offer:

9. Henri Richard. A long and distinguished career as offensive sparkplug. And how the heck many Cups did he win, something in the range of 13? Yikes.

10. George Hainsworth. Any goalie with a GAA of under 1 HAD to be doing something right. But maybe Serge Savard could stand here, too.

Originally posted by Roo-AH! Roo-AH!

10. George Hainsworth. Any goalie with a GAA of under 1 HAD to be doing something right. But maybe Serge Savard could stand here, too.

I have no strong quarrels with your list, but don't forget Hainsworth played in the era before the forward pass was legal. A very good player but I wouldn't put him in the top 10. Still a 50% shut out rate for a season is impressive ;)

Hard to judge era to era, but from what I've heard/read/seen about the Montreal Canadiens these are the 10 greatest players/goalies of all-time in NO order.

The Rocket

Lafleur

Beliveau

Robinson

Harvey

Cournoyer

Morenz

Plante

Dryden

Pocket Rocket

Hard to argue with the list.

You could make a case for Gainey, Savard, Joliat, Moore, Durnan...

[Edited on 2005/9/27 by Leafs Suck]

Originally posted by Roo-AH! Roo-AH!

1. The Rocket. Nuff said.

9. Henri Richard. A long and distinguished career as offensive sparkplug. And how the heck many Cups did he win, something in the range of 13? Yikes.

11 cups... never yet and never likely to be equalled, nevermind being bettered

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo: