2020 Playoffs - Projected Habs lineup

revvvrob

Seems to me like the Habs are about to make the playoffs!!

It’s got me wondering about our lineup - now that there has been time for injuries to heal, possible AHL callups etc

I’d love to see what a projected lineup would be!

With Julien ?

Tatar Danault Gallagher

Drouin Domi Arnia

Lekhonen Suzuki Byron

Weise Weal Hudon

Weber Chariot

Petry Kulak

Folin Mete

Me

Drouin Danault Arnia

Tatar Suzuki Gallagher

Lekhonen Kotkaniemi Domi

Poehling Evans Byron

Weber Mete

Petry Chiarot

Fleury Kulak

If everyone aside from Kotkaniemi (who is out for several more months) is available:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Lehkonen - Suzuki - Armia

Drouin - Domi - Byron

Hudon - Evans - Weal

Chiarot - Weber

Mete - Petry

Kulak - Juulsen

Drouin and Suzuki didn't work well together if I remember correctly (it has been a while) and I can see that F2 line being a defacto checking/two-way one with F3 being the mismatch line.  Pittsburgh isn't the fastest team so putting the two fast wingers with Domi could help.  Part of me is inclined to put Poehling on the 4th line for a bit of size and something resembling defensive ability rather than leaving Evans on his own.  If Alex Belzile is healthy (the timeline on his shoulder surgery suggests he should be available) and does well in camp, I'd give very serious consideration to him in Weal's spot.  Yes, he has been off for a while but a three-week training camp (that appears to be the target) may be enough.  He and Evans played quite well together in Laval (Hudon with those two was a very good combo) and would give that line a bit more of a two-way presence.

Juulsen declared himself recovered on a conference call last week and if he is indeed healthy, he's a better option than Fleury who will need heavily sheltered minutes.  I don't want Mete/Kulak on their off-side and I don't trust Ouellet at the best of times.

With Domi

Lehkonen - Suzuki - Armia

Drouin - Domi - Byron

Without Domi

Byron - Suzuki - Lehkonen

Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Belzille - Evans - Weal

Extras: Hudon, Poehling, Weise, Vejdemo, Dauphin

Defence:

Chiarot - Weber

Mete - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen

Extras: Alzner, Ouellet, Folin, Fleury

Price

Primeau

Extra : Lindgren

I don't think Kotkaniemi will be available.  Basu's mailbag earlier this month said he'd be a long way away from getting cleared for contact (months more than weeks).  Even if this stretches into late July, are they going to want to throw him back in just as he's getting cleared?  I think they'll play it safe and maybe bring him over to skate and be evaluated but not be given consideration to play unless they actually won a couple of rounds.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think Kotkaniemi will be available.  Basu's mailbag earlier this month said he'd be a long way away from getting cleared for contact (months more than weeks).  Even if this stretches into late July, are they going to want to throw him back in just as he's getting cleared?  I think they'll play it safe and maybe bring him over to skate and be evaluated but not be given consideration to play unless they actually won a couple of rounds.

Ok, throw Poehling in that spot if Domi doesn't play.  Things are thin down the middle though if KK and Domi are both out, Thompson in Philadelphia, etc...

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

I don't know was kind of hoping for the lottery pick to help with our rebuild.  I know anything could happen in the playoffs especially with a well rested Price and Weber. But is this the best thing for our rebuild🤔

Maybe they'll bring back Kinkaid as a starter to help the situation? 😆

7 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Hello,

A bit out of the loop here,... is Romanov eligible to play for the Habs in the playoffs? now that he’s locked in on has entry-level deal.

It appears no, and that his ELC starts in the 2020-21 season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

I don't know was kind of hoping for the lottery pick to help with our rebuild.  I know anything could happen in the playoffs especially with a well rested Price and Weber. But is this the best thing for our rebuild🤔

Could be!

If upset Pitt and several Habs play awesome, could give team more confidence and playoff experience also may be invaluable for Suzuki, Domi, Fleury and other youngsters. And maybe Drouin has another great playoffs (14pts in 17gms in his last playoffs), etc.

Maybe with all the rest, both Weber and Price will be on top of game?

And all that may trump simply picking 8th vs 16th-20th?

I think they go back to the line that had success early in the year before Drouin and then Armia went down...

Tatar Danault Gallagher

Drouin Domi Armia

Lehkonan Suzuki Byron

Poehling Evans Weal

Weise

Chairot Weber

Kulak Petry

Mete Fleury

Juulsen

Price

Primeau

Should be interesting 

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I think they go back to the line that had success early in the year before Drouin and then Armia went down...

Tatar Danault Gallagher

Drouin Domi Armia

Lehkonan Suzuki Byron

Poehling Evans Weal

Weise

Chairot Weber

Kulak Petry

Mete Fleury

Juulsen

Price

Primeau

Should be interesting 

That is close to the line-up I was thinking on, except that I would prefer two centers on the fourth line:

Tatar Danault Gallagher

Drouin Domi Armia

Lehkonen Suzuki Byron

Evans Weal Weise

(Poehling, Hudon, Belzile)

Chairot Weber

Kulak Petry

Mete Juulsen

(Alzner, Folin, Fleury, Ouellet)

Price/Primeau

(Kincaid)

You need one line to match with crosby  (Danault line)

And one line to match with Malkin (I'm putting two of Lehkonen, Byron, and Armia on that line, as our best defensive wingers, and Suzuki at centre cause he's good defensively too). 

Then you let Domi and Drouin play against the Pens third line. 

4 hours ago, DON said:

from dom luszczyszyn of the Athletic

EZC_Q-8WoAA2Lvz.jpg:large

7C5F377F-EE6C-4811-B7DC-BD1D6F69226B.jpeg

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

That is close to the line-up I was thinking on, except that I would prefer two centers on the fourth line:

Tatar Danault Gallagher

Drouin Domi Armia

Lehkonen Suzuki Byron

Evans Weal Weise

(Poehling, Hudon, Belzile)

Chairot Weber

Kulak Petry

Mete Juulsen

(Alzner, Folin, Fleury, Ouellet)

Price/Primeau

(Kincaid)

Poehling and Evans are both natural C's

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

And one line to match with Malkin (I'm putting two of Lehkonen, Byron, and Armia on that line, as our best defensive wingers, and Suzuki at centre cause he's good defensively too). 

It will be very hard to match the Crosby Malkin duo. The only chance we have at C is if we can successfully roll all 4 C's.

I would not doubt this will be Suzuki's opportunity to take a huge step, as he'll be assigned Malkin. Lehks and Byron will bring great pace to that line, especially on the back check against Malkin.

I see Domi  trying to find some chemistry in between Armia and Drouin who were both feeling it equally before all the injuries unravelled us together on the same line.

the addition of Zucker and health of Guentzal will be key. Crosby/ Malkin factoring is no brainer.

some big match ups for me

Petry vs Letang (performance)

Weber vs Malkin (1v1)

Gallagher vs the referees 

but ULTIMATELY

Price vs Jarry will determine the final

9 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Price vs Jarry will determine the final

That'd be interesting as the belief around Pittsburgh over the last couple of months is that Murray will get first crack.  While Jarry had the better numbers, Murray got more of the 'prestige' games and it's believed their coach still really trusts him.

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

Good plan. It's the classic formula: fight for a saw-off v.s. the other team's stars, and kill them with your goaltending and bottom-6 depth. 

I suspect we are too weak at D to pull it off, but it's how a team like the Habs, which has a lot of good-not-great FWs, has to play.

I’m going to be the first to say that I miss Kovalchuk. I would have loved to have him in our lineup. I always believe that every single player of that caliber increases your chances during a cup run. Thus, rentals. 

I also wonder how this Covid scenario impacts all those thoughts that he may want to re-sign here. More serious life matters may easily remove the honeymoon sensation that was being felt both by fans, as well as himself. 

On 5/28/2020 at 8:56 AM, dlbalr said:

That'd be interesting as the belief around Pittsburgh over the last couple of months is that Murray will get first crack.  While Jarry had the better numbers, Murray got more of the 'prestige' games and it's believed their coach still really trusts him.

Agreed

But Jarry was the better goalie all year no doubt.. in a short series we can only hope to jump on them with good goaltending of our own.... 

I pray for Carey "Hart" Price this summer

From comments I have come across around the web and social media, it seems as though people are really giving the Habs a good chance against the Pens. 

While I have enjoyed being an optimistic Habs fan for most of my life, the Habs were sellers at the deadline and the Pens were buyers. Players like Zucker were added (albeit at the “expense of Galchenyuk) and we lost a player like Kovalchuk. 

I noticed by the deafening silence after my most recent post that I am one of the few who still dwell on the loss of Kovalchuk. While I understand there would be a chance to win the series, the Habs got rid of a performer and the pens added one at the deadline. One would have to assume that just the mentality of the organizations would be different from one another heading into these playoffs.

With that being said, there should be less pressure on the Habs, if that makes sense, and it would be true to argue that Kovalchuk was acquired in order to fill a void on a depleted team. We have some players, like Drouin, for example, who will be back and healthy.

Come to think of it, and this is as important a point as any, I remember watching a Tampa Bay versus Pittsburgh playoff series a few years back, and Drouin was outclassing Crosby. Sincerely, my fondest memories of Drouin are from that series. 

Here’s to hoping. :habslogo:

• Like 1