2020 Playoffs - Projected Habs lineup

revvvrob

I am beginning to think that Domi might be the best choice for the 4C ... his style fits that sort of role better than KK ... Max will get PP time and if Habs need a goal can then be bumped up to 3rd line with KK (have a slight preference for Domi on the wing) ... besides, not certain the third line will have a ton of offence with either KK or Max at centre (depends on what "Byron" we see) so the 3rd/4th lines may get similar ice time anyway. 

15 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

But Lindgren would likely mean 60-ish games for Price ...

Price needs fewer than 60 games. And a backup needs more than 20 games. Sitting on the bench for three weeks straight doesn't keep a goalie sharp.

34 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Which is still no worse, and potentially potentially better, than Kinkaid or Niemi in the twilight of their careers. Which is why I'd rather play Lindgren in 2020-21 than signing another backup goalie at the same level as the aforementioned two.

Id give Demchenko, our new Russian goalie, a chance before Lindgren.

He was 1a/1b with Francouz before, and Francouz has done well in Colorado. 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Id give Demchenko, our new Russian goalie, a chance before Lindgren.

He was 1a/1b with Francouz before, and Francouz has done well in Colorado. 

He is the unknown factor ... I have some hope for him and agree that he needs a good long look in 20/21 TC to evaluate ... but it would be ballsy for Habs to PLAN on him being the backup ... 

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Price needs fewer than 60 games. And a backup needs more than 20 games. Sitting on the bench for three weeks straight doesn't keep a goalie sharp.

Agreed ... it was my way of saying that Lindgren is not (IMO) a good enough option

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

He is the unknown factor ... I have some hope for him and agree that he needs a good long look in 20/21 TC to evaluate ... but it would be ballsy for Habs to PLAN on him being the backup ... 

I agree.

I'd sign someone else who is more proven.  But given the choice of Lindgren (a known quantity who is not good enough) and Demchenko (the unknown, with some strong KHL results), I'd go with the unknown.

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I agree.

I'd sign someone else who is more proven.  But given the choice of Lindgren (a known quantity who is not good enough) and Demchenko (the unknown, with some strong KHL results), I'd go with the unknown.

Yeah, I forgot about Demchenko. We could go with Demchenko as a backup, which is probably a good risk. And if things really fall apart, we can go to Lindgren, who I really think is no worse than what we have had for the past two years.

But what the heck will happen with the AHL? I really think an AHL season is critical for the NHL. And subsidizing the AHL would not be THAT big a cost item for the NHL teams.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Not a 'Boys fan so I'll pass on that ... expect it will end up being a more modern NHL traditional nickname like Romi or Romes (which is sad)

Or in the time of acronyms; AR or AR27 (sorry Alzner)

(Even if not Dallas fan and if watch football, gotta admit Romo is very good behind the mic)

1 hour ago, DON said:

Or in the time of acronyms; AR or AR27 (sorry Alzner)

(Even if not Dallas fan and if watch football, gotta admit Romo is very good behind the mic)

I follow the NFL but don't ever watch much of any one game on TV

On 7/18/2020 at 5:07 PM, Link67 said:

If Domi plays..

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Drouin - Suzuki - Armia

Domi - KK - Lehkonen

Hudon - Poehling - Byron

According to The Athletic, Julien really likes the Drouin-Suzuki-Armia combination so the top two lines appear to be confirmed.

What happens in the bottom six remains to be seen.

On 7/18/2020 at 5:07 PM, Link67 said:

If Domi plays..

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Drouin - Suzuki - Armia

Domi - KK - Lehkonen

Hudon - Poehling - Byron

Looking at this objectively, I can see the argument for moving Domi in exchange for quality assets that fit team needs, he was incredibly difficult to place in a position, he could succeed in the line up, if Suzuki and KK have indeed taken their next steps, respectively. And even still, I am not sure he would be thrilled about being out of the top 6, we are going to have to ponder long and hard on that situation as an organization going forward.

Like packaging him with Mete for a top LD from a team over the cap.

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

According to The Athletic, Julien really likes the Drouin-Suzuki-Armia combination so the top two lines appear to be confirmed.

What happens in the bottom six remains to be seen.

I would prefer to play Evans over Hudon on the fourth line, because the Habs have made it clear Hudon is not in their plans. I have argued a few time for keeping Hudon in Laval as a depth player but for the team's benefit I would play Evans against Pittsburgh instead.

Hudon wants his chance.  

I doubt he re-signs if its to play in Laval.  He is going to look for an NHL team willing to give him an opportunity, or go to Europe where he will make more money than in the AHL this summer. 

I don't mind giving him that shot on the fourth line. 

I also don't mind having a fourth line that can be an offensive threat.  I really think that, especially early in these playins/playoffs, that these players are not going to have the same endurance they normally have.  Training at home for 3 months is not the same as playing hockey or even a normal off-season when they have access to high end gyms.  Teams that roll four lines can push the pace and use speed and endurance as a weapon.    Having someone like Hudon who is a proven finisher in the AHL, but has yet to really show it in the NHL could be part of that, with guys like Weal, Byron, Domi and Kotkaniemi also potential fourth liners depending on how you put those bottom two lines together. 

Hudon has played 125 NHL games.

He's had his chance. He blows chunks. Or, to put it more fairly, he is a "tweener," accomplished in the AHL but borderline in the NHL.

That said, I don't mind if he's on the fourth line for some play-in games as a last hurrah before he f**ks off to Europe or whatever. It's not like we have massively superior options banging down the door to play nine minutes a night.

Why giving him another chance if he is bolting to Europe? 

Much rather play the bottom line prospects to give them the play-in experience. Evans can hold his own and is a better option than Weise  since he will not be resigned. Poehling is another option:

Evans-Weal-Byron or Byron-Weal-Poehling should be the fourth line

32 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Hudon wants his chance.  

I doubt he re-signs if its to play in Laval.  He is going to look for an NHL team willing to give him an opportunity, or go to Europe where he will make more money than in the AHL this summer. 

I don't mind giving him that shot on the fourth line. 

I also don't mind having a fourth line that can be an offensive threat.  I really think that, especially early in these playins/playoffs, that these players are not going to have the same endurance they normally have.  Training at home for 3 months is not the same as playing hockey or even a normal off-season when they have access to high end gyms.  Teams that roll four lines can push the pace and use speed and endurance as a weapon.    Having someone like Hudon who is a proven finisher in the AHL, but has yet to really show it in the NHL could be part of that, with guys like Weal, Byron, Domi and Kotkaniemi also potential fourth liners depending on how you put those bottom two lines together. 

He certainly does.

As an RFA, unless the habs fail to qualify him the only choice he will have is Europe.

I do mind giving him the shot because he has failed to produce in any of the chances he has previously beens given ... in his mind I think he believes he is an offensive player (top 6, at worst top 9) and would likely just produce his usual brief glimpses of offence and minimal defence.

An offensive 4th line would be nice but other than KK or Domi at centre don't think they have truly offensive options on the 4th line (Hudon has the most skill, but is all sizzle no steak) ... think Domi would best compliment Weal and Poehling/Evans/Weise as he better fits their styles ... with Max getting PP time and switching with whichever of Lehkonen or Byron is if either is "cold"

Interesting 2nd PP unit today ... might make sense to make Domi-Kotkaniemi-Weal the third line to optimize their development as a line in a short series ... Evans/Poehling with Lehkonen and Byron might not be a bad 4th line

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Hudon has played 125 NHL games.

He's had his chance. He blows chunks. Or, to put it more fairly, he is a "tweener," accomplished in the AHL but borderline in the NHL.

That said, I don't mind if he's on the fourth line for some play-in games as a last hurrah before he f**ks off to Europe or whatever. It's not like we have massively superior options banging down the door to play nine minutes a night.

I agree that he's highly unlikely to make it. 

I just think that if the strategy is to try and wear out the other team by rolling four lines and keeping the pace high (not a bad strategy to try and tire out a team with two world class centres in normal times, an even better strategy in Covid times), then you might want Hudon as opposed to say Dale Weise. 

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Much rather play the bottom line prospects to give them the play-in experience. Evans can hold his own and is a better option than Weise  since he will not be resigned. Poehling is another option:

Evans-Weal-Byron or Byron-Weal-Poehling should be the fourth line

Poehling is not an NHL player at this point in his career.  He needs more AHL time.  He's not ready.  We've seen that this season in the 27 games he played with the team with just 1g and 1a.

Evans is closer to being NHL ready, I could see using him.  He doesn't have as much Speed or Offence as Hudon, but he's a better defensive player.   If you want a typical Julien 4th line, then he will play with Weise as well.

I'd rather not have the typical Julien line, and put out something that can generate some offence and use some skating.  I'd go

Lehkonen - Domi or KK - Byron

Hudon - Domi/KK - Weal

as my bottom six and roll four lines. 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I agree that he's highly unlikely to make it. 

I just think that if the strategy is to try and wear out the other team by rolling four lines and keeping the pace high (not a bad strategy to try and tire out a team with two world class centres in normal times, an even better strategy in Covid times), then you might want Hudon as opposed to say Dale Weise. 

Yeah, hard to argue with that. I suspect Kindly Ol' Coach will want Weise's experience out there, as opposed to Hudon.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Whoever gives you the best chance to win, you play them.

1 minute ago, DON said:

Whoever gives you the best chance to win, you play them.

I like Hudon, but I do not think he can be a Gilbert Dionne or Paul Di Pietro against Pittburgh

For example, he produces more than Lehkonen, but I trust Lehks more against Pittsburgh... 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I do mind giving him the shot because he has failed to produce in any of the chances he has previously beens given ...

10g 30pts in limited icetime in 72gms as a rookie isnt a failure.

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I like Hudon, but I do not think he can be a Gilbert Dionne or Paul Di Pietro against Pittburgh

I think he is just bit too slow, didnt train hard enough and hasnt been a good fit with Habs roster.

3 hours ago, DON said:

10g 30pts in limited icetime in 72gms as a rookie isnt a failure.

4 goals, 3 assists in 47 games since then (7g, 5a per 82 games pace) ... for all his talent he has never played well enough to earn ice-time ... he has always seemed to feel that decent rookie season earned him a full-time job

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

4 goals, 3 assists in 47 games since then (7g, 5a per 82 games pace) ... for all his talent he has never played well enough to earn ice-time ... he has always seemed to feel that decent rookie season earned him a full-time job

Agree.

He produced very well in the AHL very, but is guess similar to a Corey Locke or Nigel Dawes type that is just not good enough for NHL but a standout in the AHL.

One Of These Things (Is Not Like The Others)
One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Chiarot - Weber
Mete - Petry
Ouellet - Folin
Olofsson - Juulsen/Brook
Kulak-Fleury

Pick the third pair to play against Pittsburgh