Canadiens should offer sheet Sergachev

Phozzwald

Mikhail Sergachev is set to become a restricted free agent at the end of the season. With the Lightning’s cap issues, it’s going to be hard to re-sign the stud defenceman. In order to do it, they’ll need to move out some of their core who have significant cap hits. However, this will not be an easy feat for the Lightning. If you look at the club’s roster, the players we come across as potential trade pieces are Yanni Gourde, Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat, Ryan McDonagh and Alex Killorn. Each of them have no-trade clauses. Of those players, only Killorn’s no-trade clause will turn into a modified no-trade clause this off-season. If the Lightning wants to try to move any of these players, they would need to accept a trade out of Tampa Bay. This does not seem likely. Hence why they had the no-trade clause put in their contract in the first place.

Read more here:

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/06/09/reacquiring-mikhail-sergachev-is-a-realistic-possibility-for-the-montreal-canadiens/

Reacquiring Sergachev would be a HUGE win for the Habs.

• Upvote 1

I love the idea, but have a feeling that the recommended $8.5 mil will be too rich for MB's blood. He'll likely point to Romanov and say 'we can solve the LD problem on the cheap.' Insisting on excellence, rather than making do and covering his arse, has never been a hallmark of MB's approach.

30 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Interesting. Maybe a low ball trade offer too.

Give up Mete. He gives good minutes. Manageable cap hit.

Not a bad idea at all because lets face it, IF, Sergachev is brought in, Mete becomes the 7th defenceman. Being as young as he is and his speed, he could be something Tampa would accept in a deal if they dont want to risk the offer sheet and would rather gain cheaper quality NHL defenceman. I feel they would have to add to Mete obviously, but its a good starting point. Tampa's left side would then be Hedman, McDonagh and Mete.

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I love the idea, but have a feeling that the recommended $8.5 mil will be too rich for MB's blood. He'll likely point to Romanov and say 'we can solve the LD problem on the cheap.' Insisting on excellence, rather than making do and covering his arse, has never been a hallmark of MB's approach.

It might be. Especially given the extra first. Bergevin might not want to part with all the picks. However, maybe a lower offer around 7.5 - 8 may still be able to get it done. Tampa is completely strapped for cash and this pandemic making it a flat cap didnt help their case. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think you need to make sure it is $8.5m , so TBL at Lear is getting 2 first rounders and their is some incentive to accept the offer.  The offer sheet to Aho was just stupid. I was excited until I read how much the offer sheet was for. 

Even at $8.5m I Could see TBL accepting, but at least at least it’s one that has a realistic chance of being accepted.  I do see them trying to move McDonough (he’s have to waive his NTC), but at least with that type of offer Sheet I wouldn’t blame MB like I did for the Aho sheet, where MB just helped the Canes get Aho for a good contract.

i do think with the current strategy of keeping price and Weber they need a bold move like this, otherwise they are wasting more of the remaining elite years price and Weber have left.

this still means you have to hope Suzuki/Kk emerge as 1a/1b centres within the next two years, because Danault/Domi is not enough For a true contender.  

if Romanov is advertised and you can add Sergechev, that would actually give you a solid D core for years.

1 hour ago, Phozzwald said:

It might be. Especially given the extra first. Bergevin might not want to part with all the picks. However, maybe a lower offer around 7.5 - 8 may still be able to get it done. Tampa is completely strapped for cash and this pandemic making it a flat cap didnt help their case. 

I can’t see TBL not matching for anything less than two top 1 picks, otherwise they’d probably match and move someone later.  I think an $8.5m offer sheet where they get back two #1 picks may actually work given Tampa’s philosophy of having players take bridge deals.

11 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think you need to make sure it is $8.5m , so TBL at Lear is getting 2 first rounders and their is some incentive to accept the offer.  The offer sheet to Aho was just stupid. I was excited until I read how much the offer sheet was for. 

Even at $8.5m I Could see TBL accepting, but at least at least it’s one that has a realistic chance of being accepted.  I do see them trying to move McDonough (he’s have to waive his NTC), but at least with that type of offer Sheet I wouldn’t blame MB like I did for the Aho sheet, where MB just helped the Canes get Aho for a good contract.

i do think with the current strategy of keeping price and Weber they need a bold move like this, otherwise they are wasting more of the remaining elite years price and Weber have left.

this still means you have to hope Suzuki/Kk emerge as 1a/1b centres within the next two years, because Danault/Domi is not enough For a true contender.  

if Romanov is advertised and you can add Sergechev, that would actually give you a solid D core for years.

Agree. Stop f**king around for once and take the plunge.

Sergy + Romanov could have a transformative effect.

Guys, Tampa can't match any offer. They are so unbelievably screwed this summer with a flat cap.

Even if they offload Killorn (who has a 16 team NTC) in a no-salary-back deal they'll have just less than 10 million to sign Sergachev AND Cirelli AND 4 other players for a bare minimum roster. 

Unless you see them trading Kucherov or Point (the only really big money contracts without a NTC)? Or see Julien Brisebois convincing Palat, Gourde, Johnson, or McDonough to waive their full NTCs? (I'm sure they're just dying to help management out by leaving Tampa weather and annual Cup contending to go play in New Jersey.)

$6 300 000 for 5 years (1st and 3rd round pick compensation), and Tampa walks away grumbling about hoping that Montreal is a lottery team again.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Guys, Tampa can't match any offer. They are so unbelievably screwed this summer with a flat cap.

Even if they offload Killorn (who has a 16 team NTC) in a no-salary-back deal they'll have just less than 10 million to sign Sergachev AND Cirelli AND 4 other players for a bare minimum roster. 

Unless you see them trading Kucherov or Point (the only really big money contracts without a NTC)? Or see Julien Brisebois convincing Palat, Gourde, Johnson, or McDonough to waive their full NTCs? (I'm sure they're just dying to help management out by leaving Tampa weather and annual Cup contending to go play in New Jersey.)

$6 300 000 for 5 years (1st and 3rd round pick compensation), and Tampa walks away grumbling about hoping that Montreal is a lottery team again.

Also none of those NTC guys are waiving to bring home less money when they are traded to a team that isn't a low income tax state like Florida.

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

If still offer the $8.5m to make sure I get him.  When Gomez was traded everyone said he was untradeable.  McDonough has a NTC when he was moved.  If Mgmt makes it clear they don’t want a player back, they’ll be able to move him.  He will dictate where he goes - which limits where he gets. He may bring 10 cents in the dollar, but if I’m Brisbois, I move a guy like McDonough and take my lumps in the lousy return if it means keeping Sergechev.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Also none of those NTC guys are waiving to bring home less money when they are traded to a team that isn't a low income tax state like Florida.

They can still make a guy with a NTC accept a trade - it will be on the player’s terms, but it’s been done before and it will again.  Also keep in mind that it works both ways.  They don’t have to pay Sergechev as much as another team to keep him, because they can offer less because of the tax situation - they just need to be proactive and not get at the offer sheet stage.  It comes down to how much does he want to stay in Tampa? Even after taxes, Stamkos would have made more money in Toronto because of greater endorsement opportunities, but he wanted to stay.

a GM trying to offer sheet Sergechev , has to make an offer that he won’t refuse and Tampa can’t afford to match.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

has to make an offer that he won’t refuse and Tampa can’t afford to match.

...thats... like deep...man.:scared:

How many 1st round picks is he worth? 3?

30 minutes ago, DON said:

...thats... like deep...man.:scared:

How many 1st round picks is he worth? 3?

I’d do two 1st, 2nd and 3rd for him.    Ironically enough i doubt too many teams would even give up a 1st for Drouin unless it was a very late 1st.

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d do two 1st, 2nd and 3rd for him.    Ironically enough i doubt too many teams would even give up a 1st for Drouin unless it was a very late 1st.

Even if he can swallow the salary, which I doubt, that price will be too rich for MB's blood. 

Also, remember that MB prioritizes his own job and his own ego above winning. Therefore, he will worry, I suspect, about the optics of giving up those kinds of picks and that kind of salary for a player he once had for a single 1st round pick. Cynics will point out that the net effect of the whole scenario is the Habs dealt two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd, AND added millions in salary costs they could have avoided, in order to acquire ...Jonathan Drouin.☹️ This offer sheet would amount to either the world's most insane overpay for Drouin, or an admission that it was a mistake to trade Sergy in the first place. 

Since MB has not shown himself to be the kind of leader capable of such humility, I think we can forget the whole idea.

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Even if he can swallow the salary, which I doubt, that price will be too rich for MB's blood. 

Also, remember that MB prioritizes his own job and his own ego above winning. Therefore, he will worry, I suspect, about the optics of giving up those kinds of picks and that kind of salary for a player he once had for a single 1st round pick. Cynics will point out that the net effect of the whole scenario is the Habs dealt two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd, AND added millions in salary costs they could have avoided, in order to acquire ...Jonathan Drouin.☹️ This offer sheet would amount to either the world's most insane overpay for Drouin, or an admission that it was a mistake to trade Sergy in the first place. 

Since MB has not shown himself to be the kind of leader capable of such humility, I think we can forget the whole idea.

Your probably right, but if he is going to hang on to Price/Weber, he needs to do something bold to shore up the D.  I think if you add Sergechev and Romanov work out, you than have Option to move Petry later on to fill other needs, rather than resigning him.

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Your probably right, but if he is going to hang on to Price/Weber, he needs to do something bold to shore up the D.  I think if you add Sergechev and Romanov work out, you than have Option to move Petry later on to fill other needs, rather than resigning him.

I'm with you 100% on this. I'm just saying that, even though the proposed offer sheet would likely make a huge impact in structurally improving the team, I don't see MB doing it. He is risk-averese with both picks and salary (that's why the Aho thing bombed) and, again, his own ego is more important to him than maximizing the prospects of team success. He is not the man to make this move no matter how great a move it is.

I hope I'm wrong, because it would be a great move. Stud d-men are invaluable commodities in my book.

34 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Also, remember that MB prioritizes his own job and his own ego above winning. 

The last two years have debunked this , let’s move on to other arguments

I agree with the $6.5M offer sheet. That makes sense

18 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The last two years have debunked this , let’s move on to other arguments

I agree with the $6.5M offer sheet. That makes sense

I'm not sure that I see what is so great about the past two years, nor that MB has proven he will set aside ego in order to make the team win. 

As for 6.5, the original article notes that more than that will be required to 'almost guarantee' Sergachev becomes a Hab. Remember the Aho maneouvre, where MB stayed within the bounds of what made him 'comfortable?' That's the risk-aversion that gets you nowhere. Then again, the Aho maneouvre was very successful in distracting media and fans from the fact that MB did basically nothing to improve a team that failed to make the playoffs in 2018; which might have been its real point. If I'm right about MB's nature, it probably was.

We'll see.As I note above, I hope he proves me wrong re: the offer sheet.

14 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

They can still make a guy with a NTC accept a trade - it will be on the player’s terms, but it’s been done before and it will again.  Also keep in mind that it works both ways.  They don’t have to pay Sergechev as much as another team to keep him, because they can offer less because of the tax situation - they just need to be proactive and not get at the offer sheet stage.  It comes down to how much does he want to stay in Tampa? Even after taxes, Stamkos would have made more money in Toronto because of greater endorsement opportunities, but he wanted to stay.

a GM trying to offer sheet Sergechev , has to make an offer that he won’t refuse and Tampa can’t afford to match.

It would still be extremely difficult to get these players to agree to move their no trade clause, especially a player like McDonagh who only singed in Tampa two years ago in July and made sure that clause was in there. You also then have to think about what team wants to bring him in at the salary he's making longterm and as he regresses. Plus the fact that he will be making less when he is moved and to a most likely worse team as Tampa is arguably the best team in the league, reducing his chance at a Stanley Cup. That goes for all those players. 

Tampa could offer less, but their cap space is still limited regardless. He's not going to sign for $5 or less knowing he could get offered $8+ else where. Why should he? 

But I do agree that the offer sheet should be aggressive. Better chance of getting the player and if Tampa Bay matches, it will dismantle the organization as they would have to move out some of their core that makes them the team they are as well as makes decreases their chances of signing Cirelli. This weakens a team in the Habs division. Win/Win

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm not sure that I see what is so great about the past two years, nor that MB has proven he will set aside ego in order to make the team win. 

As for 6.5, the original article notes that more than that will be required to 'almost guarantee' Sergachev becomes a Hab. Remember the Aho maneouvre, where MB stayed within the bounds of what made him 'comfortable?' That's the risk-aversion that gets you nowhere. Then again, the Aho maneouvre was very successful in distracting media and fans from the fact that MB did basically nothing to improve a team that failed to make the playoffs in 2018; which might have been its real point. If I'm right about MB's nature, it probably was.

We'll see.As I note above, I hope he proves me wrong re: the offer sheet.

I agree that Bergevin did debunk this. He has put together a top 5 prospect pool by building through the draft but has also gone out and attempted to bring in help for the team right now through free agency. Yes we all know he did not succeed in getting these players. We also know Montreal has not been successful in attracting free agents for a long time even before MB. However, he was one of the final two teams for Matt Duchene and had an aggressive offer for him. In hindsight, we have to be happy Duchene didn't sign here. He was also down to the wire with Gardiner, who despite his poor year I believe he would have been strong for the Habs next to Weber. Along with an Aho offer sheet that again, failed, however was a calculated offer due to a vulnerable owner. 

As for the offer sheet. It absolutely needs to be more than $6.5. Tampa laughs at that and matches, no sweat. Even though its still more than surely theyre hoping to pay. They would easily accept a $6.5, 5 year deal for a player of Sergachev's stature. 

No player is bigger than the team. I would not put in jeopardy the sound salary structure (except for Price) the Habs have for one D

Sergachev is good but not a make or break player for me. not yet  

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

No player is bigger than the team. I would not put in jeopardy the sound salary structure (except for Price) the Habs have for one D

I don’t consider price’s contract to be part of a sound salary structure.  Way too much money for a goalie who hasn’t even been among the top 5 since he signed the deal.

24 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t consider price’s contract to be part of a sound salary structure.  

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Can you see it now?

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 9:13 AM, Phozzwald said:

Reacquiring Sergachev would be a HUGE win for the Habs.

It aint happening, Bergevin made offer for a 1st line forward and I could see him doing that again, but not for a d-man. Easily need an all-star forward more than anything else.