Who may be best UFA goalie to target in 2020?

alfredoh2009

1 hour ago, DON said:

I thought Roy said he was very surprised they traded him and I assume thought it would just blow over after all cooled down?

I read an interview where he wanted to return after cooling down and was told he wasn’t wanted and was moved very quickly.  He also said that the move turned out to be great for him.

53 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I read an interview where he wanted to return after cooling down and was told he wasn’t wanted and was moved very quickly.  He also said that the move turned out to be great for him.

Difficult to keep him after what happened, even if he apologized ... he clearly had no respect for Tremblay or Houle ... how long until it happened again

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Difficult to keep him after what happened, even if he apologized ... he clearly had no respect for Tremblay or Houle ... how long until it happened again

I had myself lost all respect for Tremblay a 7-0 during that game.  Didn't care how Roy lacked respect on that day.

2 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

I had myself lost all respect for Tremblay a 7-0 during that game.  Didn't care how Roy lacked respect on that day.

When they were hired I had the same feeling for Houle and Tremblay that I have each time I but a lottery ticket ... hope but no expectations ...

That game proved to me that Tremblay's ego came before the team

Edited by GHT120

21 hours ago, GHT120 said:

When they were hired I had the same feeling for Houle and Tremblay that I have each time I but a lottery ticket ... hope but no expectations ...

That game proved to me that Tremblay's ego came before the team

Amen.

This is one of the fundamental traps that coaches, managers, and leaders in general fall into: thinking it's about them, or else being defensive/insecure about their own authority. This is always sub-optimal, in any field. Leadership is, above all, a position of service: service to those under you, to help them succeed, and service to the organization as a whole.

I suspect hockey types are disproportionately prone to the trap of being ego-driven because they succeeded in the first place by being hyper-competitive. They therefore have to be extra vigilant about not allowing those competitive juices to turn inward against players they don't like, or who seem to challenge their authority; instead they need to keep the best interests of the team in the forefront, always. A coach can hate a player personally but recognize that he is an important asset. That's what the Habs should have done with Roy. If you couldn't work effectively with one of the greatest goalies in history and two-time Cup/Conne Smythe winner, then you needed to change your tune as a coach, not make an argument to get rid of the guy.

The Habs hired a completely inexperienced and unqualified GM at the same time as they hired a completely inexperienced and unqualified coach. It was a recipe for self-immolation. And that's exactly what happened. Looking back, what amazes me is that I ever allowed myself to hope that that combination could be successful. I was in my 20s at that point and should have known better. Then again, a lot of the media types also seemed willing to get on board; Blueberry had been one of them, and Houle was a genial, harmless, well-liked old sock. Typical.

6 hours ago, tomh009 said:

There is something to be said for harmless, well-liked old socks. But they don't usually make good pro hockey coaches.

Well, the "well-like old sock" I was referring to was Houle, but point taken.

Poor Reggie. By all accounts, a good guy. Read Dryden's write-up on him in The Game and the portrait that emerges is of a rural hick who earnestly wanted to make good and be accepted. For a guy with self-esteem issues, it must have been truly crushing to wake up every morning and realize that he was completely over his head, the worst GM in Habs' history, and more responsible than anyone for destroying the organization he loved. I remember when the Year 100 celebrations took place and they brought out all the old war-horses, reading that he was afraid the fans would boo him (!). I wouldn't be surprised if he is still haunted by his failures.

As for Tremblay, he was just a loudmouthed egomaniacal pr*ck who never should have been allowed within 100 feet of the bench - except perhaps as an assistant, learning his trade, as he eventually did under Lemaire. (And he still never got a sniff for another head coaching gig, at least not that I've ever heard).

The fact that these two clowns were welcomed with open arms by the hockey media of the day shows how much incestuous old-boys' thinking affects the Montreal hockey scene. Someone should have been asking: um, what on earth makes these raw rookies qualified to run this organization - ?