New lineup projections

Apologies to those who're still argueing at length on other threads about every other reason for the Hossa trade.

There seems to be a consensus though that Latendresse's looking very likely to grab a roster spot now, so assuming that's what happens (and given Gainey's love for tough and skilled players this looks like a given).... what are we left with?

I gotta admit after this afternoon I wanted to change my name to 'not so giddy for Booby G,' but I think he's shown us today he has no regard for whose turn it is to get a shot, nor how much time's been invested in a player. I think the best young all around young players are simply the ones he wants on the team.

After today, my opening lineup is:

Zednick- Koivu-- Kovalev

Dags--- Ribeiro- Ryder

Bulis---- Bonk--- Sundstrom

Begin--- Pleks-- Latendresse

Souray--- Markov

Rivet----- Dandenault

Boullion-- Komisarek

Theodore

Danis

Scratch: Streit, Vandermeer (one-way), Aitken (one-way)

I think Dagenais is actually on much shakier ground after Gainey tipped his hand today. He may find himself scratched for a good length of time, if not traded, when Higgins and Perezhogin make the jump. I wonder too if Gainey's not just holding on to Sunny for the early part of the season for his PK ability while refs are still cracking down on obstruction. Am I one crack or is it possible that Higgins, Hainsey and Perezhogin are not being handed anything?

If Latendresse's only spot is on the 4th line then he might as well stay in junior and develop offensively.

I'll take a 1st line power forward in 2 years instead of a 4th line checker now.

Either put him on the second line now, or risk him on the 3rd line and hope Bonk and Bulis help him produce offensively.

LW - C - RW

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev

Latendresse - Ribeiro - Ryder

Bulis - Bonk - Sundstrom

Higgins - Plekanec - Begin

Souray - Dandenault

Markov - Rivet

Bouillon - Komisarek

Scratch: Perezhogin, Vandermeer, Streit.

BTW Giddy, Aitken has been cut about a week ago.

With Latendresse:

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev

Dags - Ribs - Ryd...s?

Bulis - Bonk - Latendresse

Higgins - Begin - Plekanec

Vandermeer/Sundstrom

Without Latendresse:

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev

Dags - Ribs - Rydes?

Bulis - Bonk - Sundstrom

Higgins - Begin - Plekanec

Vandermeer/Perezhogin

I have to agree with AP, I think Gainey and Julien are high enough on Latendresse that he could see significant time with Ribeiro.

I wonder why Gainey wouldn't just trade or waive Dags if he felt he had to create room for somebody, but I guess given that Dags is french-canadien and has a chemistry with Ribeiro, he has more value to us than to anybody. There'd be no controversy scratching him in favour of Latendresse, Higgins, or Perezhogin later in the season as well.

[Edited on 2005/10/1 by Giddy for Bobby G.]

Also, IMO Latendresse is more likely to be a 1st or 2nd line caliber player next year if he sticks with the club THIS year. I don't think time on the 4th line this year is such a bad thing. Look at Shane Doan for example, he played the fourth line at 18 and he was able to develop his skill.

Latest article on rds.ca says that Julien says that the move of HOssa has nothign to do with Latendresse and is only b/c they were afraid of losing him on waivers.

Julien also says there is a chance he might have two tough guys in the lineup to start the season b/c of teams like TO and Ottawa which are really big.

Hope Latendresse sticks and plays on the top two lines, and since he isn't playing tonight, I feel this is a message to Perezhogin from Gainey and Julien saying, we know what Lats can do, show us what you can do or your back in Hamilton.

We'll see what happens.

Originally posted by simonus

you think zed will get traded?

not a chance!

Originally posted by stjrandy

kovalev  koivu   perezhogin

dagenais  ribiero   ryder

sundstrom  bonk   bulis

begin   plekanec  vandermeer

ivanans

souray  dandenault

markov  rivet

komisarek  streit

bouillon

best I can do with my crystal ball.

that's pretty bad considering zednik's nowhere to be found...