No vote of confidence for Latendresse

Mark Napier

Julien says that the trading of Hossa doesn't mean the Latendresse will necessarilly be making the team. Story on RDS. I didn't think they would throw the kid to the lions so early in his career.

He went on to say that the may be starting with the 2 tough guys in the lineup, that being Vandermeer and Ivanans.

You know, from day one of the Hossa trade I had Latendresse pegged for a spot, but it'd actually make a lot of sense to keep Latendresse off the roster even after the trade. this way Higgins and Perezhogin will actually have a chance at some 2nd and 3rd line time.

The Montreal Canadiens have the rights to Latendresse. They drafted him.

One day we will see Latendresse in Habs jersey in a real NHL game. This season or next? I don't know.

But I do know that whatever Gainey choses it will be a good. Perezhogin, Higgins and Plekanec. At least we will have 2 young guns this season. 2!!! When did that happen last time?

Send Latendresse to the juniors if that's best for him. He's 18 years old and he has tons of things to learn. But if the NHL is the right school for him then so be it.

My point is: The Habs will be great whatever Gainey does. Isn't that wonderfull?

I bet this'll get the blood boiling in some of the guys in this community. A number were already rather upset by the trade and some went on to say that if Latendresse didn't make the team that it would 'make them sick'.

I'm not saying that Bob always knows best but, Bob will invariably try to do the best.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

I'm still sticking with my original opinion of sending Latendresse back to juniors. It has nothing to do with the new CBA, just that one extra year in the juniors will do him more good.

Well, that's how I see it.

The kid can play! He's allready showed it. Question is: Where will he develop the most? That should be up to him, the coach and the GM.

I'm sure both Julien and Gainey has noted that the fans want's him on the linup as soon as possible.

Either way we will have some real calder candidates on our team. And that's great.

Originally posted by shortcat1

I bet this'll get the blood boiling in some of the guys in this community. A number were already rather upset by the trade and some went on to say that if Latendresse didn't make the team that it would 'make them sick'.

I'm not saying that Bob always knows best but, Bob will invariably try to do the best.

Regardless of what anyone here thinks or believes about themselves being great hockey experts, Bob gainey has forgotten more about hockey than anyone in this community will ever know. Why rush Latendresse and secondly why piss off guys that have been working hard in the ahl and deserve their shot right now? I mean is Latendresse really any better than Perezhogin, Plekanec or Higgins at this point in his career? He may very well be better down the road but give him time to develope. Id like to see all 3 of those guys in the line-up this season. That being said, I wouldn't mind if they gave Latendresse a 10 game tryout like the poll mentioned but unless he really excelled in those 10 games, I would want him back in juniors.

Originally posted by ch_nl

The kid can play! He's allready showed it. Question is: Where will he develop the most? That should be up to him, the coach and the GM.

I'm sure both Julien and Gainey has noted that the fans want's him on the linup as soon as possible.

If Bob Gainey is the man I think he is, what the fans want won't mean a whole lot to him.

1) Think of the way he defended Patrice Brisebois. He was pretty vehement towards those that continuously booed him. I don't believe that this was wholly for Brisebois's sake. I imagine that it probably had as much to do with boosting team morale ("I'm behind you guys and this proves it.") I also expect that it had to do with Gainey establishing himself as the HEAD of the Canadiens. He would not let the fans or media 'take charge' of the team.

2) Think of the fact that Carey Price was the one chosen with the 5th pick. I remember reading on the Montreal press (RDS, etc.) the desire that Gainey would surely get someone like Gilbert Brulé (pas du Québec mais un des nôtres) or Benoit Pouliot (same reasoning here). So, with Gainey's last say, they pick some goalie from the WHL to the dismay of a huge amount of fans and some members of the media. Again, Gainey WILL DO what Gainey BELIEVES BEST serves the team.

The picking of Guillaume Latendresse was surely not as a 'make it up to you' for the fans pick. I'm confident that he was a 'good grief, he's still available... we'd better do something before someone else gets him' pick.

Gainey's no fool.

I agree with every thing you wrote.

Gainey has been strong but in this case he has to think a bit different. Maybe the best short-time sollution is not the best for Latendresse.

We sure need his body now but he could get even better with a year in the juniors.

I actually think we need to make room for Plecks. Rather than Lats.

What I have seen of Plecks so far I really like. He will be an impact player with regards to his defensive abilities. We need a player like that badly on this team. With Sunny and Plecks on board the PK team is set up nicely. I know many on here are not Sunny fans. But he does bring in good PK ability and will show Plecks what to do. The little things help win games especially on the PK.

[Edited on 2005/10/2 by Habsrocket]