ALDS/NLDS

simonus

so, if I remember correctly, I am not the only baseball fan on the site...

Ok, baseball playoffs start tommorow. Even though we will all be overwhelmed by the start of the hockey season, I am curious as to how people are handicapping the upcoming series.

ALDS

Red S:bow:x v. White Sox

Yankees v. Angels

NLDS

Padres v. Cardinals

Astros v. Braves

--------------------------

My picks?

DS

Red Sox in 4

Angels in 4

Cardinals in 3

Astros in 5

CS

Red Sox in 6

Cardinals in 6

WS

Red Sox in 7

OK, so I'm a bit of a red sox fanboy... but i really believe everything else.

What does everybody else think?

Red Sox over White Sox in 3.

Yankees over Angels in 5.

Cardinals over Padres in 4.

Astros over Braves in 5.

Red Sox over Yankees in 7.

Cardinals over Astros in 4.

Cardinals over Red Sox in 5.

EDIT: First round is still best of 5 games. Did another sport recently change the first round from best of 5 to best of 7?

[Edited on 10-4-05 by Fanpuck33]

I know nothing about baseball but I'll play Miss Kallie with the little I know.

White Sox in 4

Angels in 4

Cardinals in 3

Braves in 4

Angels in 6

Cardinals in 7

Cardinals in 7 ...World Series to the Birds!

[Edited on 2005/10/4 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

[Edited on 2005/10/4 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

new york to win world series? You sure know how to hurt a guy.  

Haha sorry :D

You think (eehm, "wish") they're going to lose in 4 games on the 1st round ? loll

Edit: baseball playoffs are best of seven series, right?

best of five for the first round?

[Edited on 2005-10-4 by sakiqc]

I've been a huge Red Sox fan for a while now and we couldn't of gotten a better first round matchup then the White Sox. Playoff experience means a lot more in baseball then any other sport and the White Sox don't have much. Good team, and will be for a while but this year is not their year.

Red Sox in 4

Yankees in 5

Why would it be anything else? I LIVE for a Yankee/Red Sox ALCS.

Cardinals in 4

Astros in 4

Hmm....this seems familiar...I think the NLCS wil play out differently though. I think Peavy will win his start against the Cards and the series could go 5 if he goes twice. He'll pitch well against the stacked Cardinals lineup and hopefully the baseball world will take notice.

Red Sox in 6

Astros in 7

You need a great bullpen to make it through the playoffs. Something the Yankees though have. Their 200 million dollars will buy them the same thing it got them last year: Nothing. And Steinbrenner can throw another hissy fit. And I really, really like the Astros. What can I say, I've got a soft spot for the Rocket. Schilling/Clemens matchup would be bloody amazing. Basically any combination of Clemens, Oswalt, Schilling and Wells. The Red Sox and Astros are both pretty equal teams and I'm gonna be a homer here but I think Papi and Manny give us the edge here. As long as Clement doesn't explode (which hes done on numerous occasions this season) I think we'll take the series in 7. I know it doesn't have much credit since I'm a huge Sox fan but thats how I truly think the playoffs will go down.

My favourite team is Abnyy. It used to be Abaanyy but that's pretty well changed.

Abnyy = Anybody but New York Yankees

Abaanyy = Anybody but Atlanta and New York Yankees

So, no predictions as such but here's my hoped for baseball playoffs.

Angels over New York Yankees in 4

The rest... I don't care...

Sentimental favourite - Chicago White Sox (to finally get by the Shoeless thing).

[Edited on 2005/10/4 by shortcat1]

Originally posted by jetsniper

I really, really like the Astros. What can I say, I've got a soft spot for the Rocket. Schilling/Clemens matchup would be bloody amazing. Basically any combination of Clemens, Oswalt, Schilling and Wells. The Red Sox and Astros are both pretty equal teams and I'm gonna be a homer here but I think Papi and Manny give us the edge here. As long as Clement doesn't explode (which hes done on numerous occasions this season) I think we'll take the series in 7. I know it doesn't have much credit since I'm a huge Sox fan but thats how I truly think the playoffs will go down.

the only nl teams that have a good chance of beating the red sox are the cardinals (and that didnt work out so well last year) and maybe the Braves. The Padres are not good. The Astros don't have the offense. The Braves have a lot of skill players, but they are relying on a lot of rookies and dont score that much... not to mention that they have a little problem getting to the world series in the first place. I think it will be a lot harder for the sox to get to the world series than it would be for them to win it.

[Edited on 10/4/2005 by simonus]

Red Sox vs Yankees again in the ALCS

Cards and Braves in the NL

RedSox once again over the Cards

ChiSox don'ty have the hitting to compete with Boston. Same goes for Houston with Atlanta. Anaheim is an underrated team and will take the the Yankees once again.

Originally posted by simonus

The only nl teams that have a good chance of beating the red sox are the cardinals (and that didnt work out so well last year) and maybe the Braves.  The Padres are not good.  The Astros don't have the offense.  The Braves have a lot of skill players, but they are relying on a lot of rookies and dont score that much... not to mention that they have a little problem getting to the world series in the first place.  I think it will be a lot harder for the sox to get to the world series than it would be for them to win it.

I agree that Atlanta is not a real contender in the NL, and the Padres will be lucky to win one game (if they win again, it will be because of Jake Peavy). The Astros, however, I think have a chance to surprise people. When you've got Clemens, Oswalt, and Pettitte starting the games and Lidge in the bullpen, anything can happen. Cardinals are obviously the favorites.

As for the AL, the White Sox slumped in the 2nd half and I don't think they have a chance. The Angels are good, but their pitching is a little inconsistent. The Red Sox have hitting, but their entire pitching staff is a question mark. The Yankees are in a similar situation, but they at least have a proven closer. Boston only makes the World Series if Schilling steps up his game.

schilling definitely needs to step up, but i think the real test is with arroyo and paplebon.

Timlin, bradford, and myers are pretty much known quantities (although tito has seemed to forget at times that bradford is an righties only guy) and i think you can pretty much count on them to get their jobs done. Arroyo has been up and down this year and will have to pitch like he did last postseason for the sox to have the kind of insurance in the bullpen that they have been lacking. Over the last month Paplebon has had a 1.4 ERA and if he can do anything close to that the Sox bullpen looks very strong. However, Pap is a rookie, is essentially a 1.5 pitch guy (heavy on fastballs with an improving slider) who could get exposed playing against top competition. Also, the sox have been hesitant to pitch him too often, which is exactly what they will need to do in the postseason. The only hope is that the sox will have a couple of blowouts where they can rest the more consistent arms in the bullpen.

Timlin has been incredibly durable so far this season, but he has shown this by pitching basically a career high in innings. This has to have worn him down to some degree and even though he has been rested for a few days coming into the postseason, you still have to be worried about his fatigue.

Well then, that was a disaster but it's a brand new day with a brand new game. The Fat Drunk goes tonight and if he pitches anything like he did on Friday against the Yanks, we'll be just fine.

And Peavy's out for the rest of the postseason, the Padres haven't got a chance in hell of winning the WS. It'd have to be the biggest cinderella run ever for them to win. Kinda like Greece winning Euro 04.