Countdown to Exhibition Hockey: Habs vs Leafs, July 28th @ 8 pm est

Commandant

1 hour ago, DON said:

Habs have had a "little while" to prepare for Crosby - Malkin combo. Wonder what master-strategy will be?

"Ok, boys, let's hope 2014 Carey shows up. Practice dismissed!" 😉

1 hour ago, DON said:

Habs have had a "little while" to prepare for Crosby - Malkin combo. Wonder what master-strategy will be?

Shea Weber for 29 minutes per game it is.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Shea Weber for 29 minutes per game it is.

And maybe Danault for the same amount of ice time...you look at our C depth without Domi (who is no great shakes defensively anyway), and it's a big YEEEESH.

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

And maybe Danault for the same amount of ice time...you look at our C depth without Domi (who is no great shakes defensively anyway), and it's a big YEEEESH.

Looks like Suzuki will get some tough match-ups and am most curious to see how he and Kotkaniemi hold up vs 2 centres with over 2300pts between them.

9 minutes ago, DON said:

Looks like Suzuki will get some tough match-ups and am most curious to see how he and Kotkaniemi hold up vs 2 centres with over 2300pts between them.

I have little faith in KK handling such a mission at this stage of his career, but it will be entertaining to see how, or whether, Suzuki holds up. I wonder if they will end up relying on a veteran like Weal to spell off Danault instead? A fantastic learning experience for the kid, anyway. Matching up against either of those guys in a playoff series is something you can tell your grandkids about.

6 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

If we tank and lady luck gives us the first pick, the next 3-5 years should be fun hockey to watch as a habs fan. The talent pool will be strong💪

"Tank" is the wrong word ... the players won't try to lose ... neither will the coach, in any obvious ways, that would be necessary to be effective (e.g., playing Petry and Weber the same minutes as the 3rd pairing, matching up Evans on Crosby, etc.) and it is too late for the GM to "tank" as he can't trade key assets for futures.

But IMO the Habs are more than capable of just outright losing ... Habs and Pens each won one game in regulation (each by 4-1) and Pens won an O/T game ... but in both the habs win and the one they managed to take to overtime the Pens lesser goalie (Murray) was in net and in the win Crosby didn't play.

Just as the habs "over 30s" Weber, Petry, Byron and Price are expected to be "fresher" from the time off so too will be Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist, Marleau, Letang and Johnson.

19 hours ago, DON said:

2300 points? Bjugstad? Or are you suggesting that Bjugstad will play on the first line and Crosby moves down to third?

19 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

2300 points? Bjugstad? Or are you suggesting that Bjugstad will play on the first line and Crosby moves down to third?

Ever heard about Malkin ?  Russian, Lot of skills...

59 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Ever heard about Malkin ?  Russian, Lot of skills...

I do think Malkin will play on the second line, head-to-head against Suzuki. Crosby, on the other hand, will match up with Danault.

29 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I do think Malkin will play on the second line, head-to-head against Suzuki. Crosby, on the other hand, will match up with Danault.

Penguins have home ice advantage.

I expect us to try and match Danault with Crosby and Suzuki with Malkin.  That said, there are going to be times when they get the third line in games 1, 2 and 5.  Domi or KK will need to step up for those short periods. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Penguins have home ice advantage.

I expect us to try and match Danault with Crosby and Suzuki with Malkin.  That said, there are going to be times when they get the third line in games 1, 2 and 5.  Domi or KK will need to step up for those short periods. 

You don't see Weal as an option for those stopgaps? It's hard for me to believe that Julien won't feel a strong pull to trusting a veteran in that slot more than KK.

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What are you talking about?

At the time of my comment you already had 3 negative posts in this thread that just started? Maybe you're on such a level that you don't realize it.

I miss the old Cucumber, the pre-Subban trade Cucumber, the analytical Cucumber, the hopeful Cucumber, the make me want to read more Cucumber 

1 hour ago, illWill said:

At the time of my comment you already had 3 negative posts in this thread that just started? Maybe you're on such a level that you don't realize it.

I miss the old Cucumber, the pre-Subban trade Cucumber, the analytical Cucumber, the hopeful Cucumber, the make me want to read more Cucumber 

I think you must be suffering from PTSD - so jittery about any hint of negativity (at least from me) that you have inferred much more "bite" than is actually present in (1) a harmless jest about Carey Price needing to be vintage (2)  a comment about our C depth being flimsy without Domi (but that's not "negativity," it's stating a massively obvious fact), and (3) a comment that I'd play Suzuki rather than KK against the Big Two and am interested to see how he does.

Underlying all three posts is indeed one "negative" master idea: i.e., that the Penguins are a stronger team than the Habs. And seeing as you miss the supposedly departed "analytical Cucumber," allow me to point out that any objective analysis would come to the same conclusion. The corollary of being analytical is seeking to understand reality for what it is, as opposed to, say, waving pom-poms, drooling with enthusiasm over whatever mediocrity the Habs roll out, and fantasizing that the 2020 Habs are about to morph into the second coming of the 1987 Oilers.

Finally: just to avoid any further confusion or imprecations, yes, the Habs have a chance to win the series. It is quite true that "anything can happen" (as MB loves to say, since his team is never the favourite), especially in a 5-game series. But does objective "analysis" heavily favour the Pens? Are we in tough against a battle-hardened two-time Cup-champion Pens team? Yes and yes.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think you must be suffering from PTSD - so jittery about any hint of negativity (at least from me) that you have inferred much more "bite" than is actually present in (1) a harmless jest about Carey Price needing to be vintage (2)  a comment about our C depth being flimsy without Domi (but that's not "negativity," it's stating a massively obvious fact), and (3) a comment that I'd play Suzuki rather than KK against the Big Two and am interested to see how he does.

Underlying all three posts is indeed one "negative" master idea: i.e., that the Penguins are a stronger team than the Habs. And seeing as you miss the supposedly departed "analytical Cucumber," allow me to point out that any objective analysis would come to the same conclusion. The corollary of being analytical is seeking to understand reality for what it is, as opposed to, say, waving pom-poms, drooling with enthusiasm over whatever mediocrity the Habs roll out, and fantasizing that the 2020 Habs are about to morph into the second coming of the 1987 Oilers.

Finally: just to avoid any further confusion or imprecations, yes, the Habs have a chance to win the series. It is quite true that "anything can happen" (as MB loves to say, since his team is never the favourite), especially in a 5-game series. But does objective "analysis" heavily favour the Pens? Are we in tough against a battle-hardened two-time Cup-champion Pens team? Yes and yes.

Agreed ... but I would further suggest the Habs centre position depth is comparatively flimsy even with Domi as Crosby and Malkin will likely get about 44-46 minutes between them

52 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

k

On 7/15/2020 at 7:50 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I have little faith in KK handling such a mission at this stage of his career, but it will be entertaining to see how, or whether, Suzuki holds up. I wonder if they will end up relying on a veteran like Weal to spell off Danault instead? A fantastic learning experience for the kid, anyway. Matching up against either of those guys in a playoff series is something you can tell your grandkids about.

Nah, keep Weal far from that situation, there is no long term gain in Weal taking those missions instead of them, and that is how we should be managing every scenario when it comes to our young building block players. if we are to evolve into a contender at some point, it will have to be with guys like Suzuki and KK taking on big minutes against big match ups, there is no other way. This is their apprenticeship, they need the experience, and not only that, they need to learn to do it, and be successful, in order for us to be successful down the road. You use this as your "This is what playoff hockey is going to feel like against Elite players, get on their level boys" speech. If they fail, they will learn from it the same way any good fighter learns from a loss, and we are in lottery pick contention. If they succeed, then we get pleasantly surprised and begin to transition our beliefs in this team into something more hopeful for the future, the very near future, rather than the distant one.

15 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You don't see Weal as an option for those stopgaps? It's hard for me to believe that Julien won't feel a strong pull to trusting a veteran in that slot more than KK.

I think kk will get more ice than weal.  Weal has regularly been a healthy scratch and not one of juliens favourites either.  If we still had Thompson, id see him there.