Countdown to Exhibition Hockey: Habs vs Leafs, July 28th @ 8 pm est

Commandant

14 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think you must be suffering from PTSD - so jittery about any hint of negativity (at least from me) that you have inferred much more "bite" than is actually present in (1) a harmless jest about Carey Price needing to be vintage (2)  a comment about our C depth being flimsy without Domi (but that's not "negativity," it's stating a massively obvious fact), and (3) a comment that I'd play Suzuki rather than KK against the Big Two and am interested to see how he does.

Underlying all three posts is indeed one "negative" master idea: i.e., that the Penguins are a stronger team than the Habs. And seeing as you miss the supposedly departed "analytical Cucumber," allow me to point out that any objective analysis would come to the same conclusion. The corollary of being analytical is seeking to understand reality for what it is, as opposed to, say, waving pom-poms, drooling with enthusiasm over whatever mediocrity the Habs roll out, and fantasizing that the 2020 Habs are about to morph into the second coming of the 1987 Oilers.

Finally: just to avoid any further confusion or imprecations, yes, the Habs have a chance to win the series. It is quite true that "anything can happen" (as MB loves to say, since his team is never the favourite), especially in a 5-game series. But does objective "analysis" heavily favour the Pens? Are we in tough against a battle-hardened two-time Cup-champion Pens team? Yes and yes.

Cucumber, illWill has a point: a bunch of us miss the old Chicoutimi Cucumber.

You were one of the reasons I created a profile long time ago. 

We care, CC, we care about you

38 minutes ago, DON said:

Line combos obviously impacted by the absence of Danault and Byron, and D pairings by Mete and Fleury   ... my only real concern is the absence of Byron as he apparently did not work out ... while the twitter-verse conspiracists may jump to the Covid speculation my concern is the injury he suffered earlier "this" season (seems so long ago) ... he already had a previous false start before being forced out again ... hope it is just "maintenance" and not a problem ... he is an important bottom 6 scoring threat and great on the PK

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Cucumber, illWill has a point: a bunch of us miss the old Chicoutimi Cucumber.

You were one of the reasons I created a profile long time ago. 

We care, CC, we care about you

Aw, shucks.

I think you'll find that, if you read my posts without imagining everything I say as an extension of the old "Subban" argument, they're consistent with what I've always written. The difference is that during the Gainey Rebuilds 1.0 and 2.0, and the early years of Bergevin, I was generally optimistic about the Habs's trajectory. Since 2016 I have not been. And having been burned all three times, I prefer to remain in "show me" mode regarding this latest retool or rebuild or whatever it is. And I still think Bergevin is an ass (although this does not preclude the "retool" eventually working out. It's possible). So, if you equate "optimism" with "insight," then of course you preferred my contributions back then, but I don't think that's the same thing as me somehow going off the rails.

Anyway, how did this thread became about me? Let's get back to discussing ye Habs, please.

53 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Aw, shucks.

I think you'll find that, if you read my posts without imagining everything I say as an extension of the old "Subban" argument, they're consistent with what I've always written. The difference is that during the Gainey Rebuilds 1.0 and 2.0, and the early years of Bergevin, I was generally optimistic about the Habs's trajectory. Since 2016 I have not been. And having been burned all three times, I prefer to remain in "show me" mode regarding this latest retool or rebuild or whatever it is. And I still think Bergevin is an ass (although this does not preclude the "retool" eventually working out. It's possible). So, if you equate "optimism" with "insight," then of course you preferred my contributions back then, but I don't think that's the same thing as me somehow going off the rails.

Anyway, how did this thread became about me? Let's get back to discussing ye Habs, please.

So you became the Missouri Cucumber?

This game, she is approaching. I wonder how a win/loss here affects the mentality of the group heading into the play-in against Pittsburgh. I’d imagine the Habs would want to develop some good habits (no pun intended) right from the get-go.

On 7/16/2020 at 7:38 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Underlying all three posts is indeed one "negative" master idea: i.e., that the Penguins are a stronger team than the Habs. And seeing as you miss the supposedly departed "analytical Cucumber," allow me to point out that any objective analysis would come to the same conclusion. The corollary of being analytical is seeking to understand reality for what it is, as opposed to, say, waving pom-poms, drooling with enthusiasm over whatever mediocrity the Habs roll out, and fantasizing that the 2020 Habs are about to morph into the second coming of the 1987 Oilers.

Finally: just to avoid any further confusion or imprecations, yes, the Habs have a chance to win the series. It is quite true that "anything can happen" (as MB loves to say, since his team is never the favourite), especially in a 5-game series. But does objective "analysis" heavily favour the Pens? Are we in tough against a battle-hardened two-time Cup-champion Pens team? Yes and yes.

I don't expect, or even want,  the Habs to morph in to the 1987 Oilers. But, if they are the reincarnation of the 1986 Canadiens--- that would make me ridiculously happy. 

2 hours ago, PMAC said:

I don't expect, or even want,  the Habs to morph in to the 1987 Oilers.

You wouldn't want the equivalent of Gretzky and Messier as your top C, a sniper like Kurri, and the equivalent of Paul Coffey on the blueline - ? 😮

20 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You wouldn't want the equivalent of Gretzky and Messier as your top C, a sniper like Kurri, and the equivalent of Paul Coffey on the blueline - ? 😮

In retrospect, I should have left that sentence at “ I don’t expect...”. Just my old aversion to everything Oilers bubbling up again 😎 Of course I would love all of that talent on the Habs.