A good first game

kaos

Nice to see Ryder hasn't lost his touch. Too bad there wasn't more scoring, but I'd like to think that Theodore and Raycroft played well.

Look like Pierre Dagenais took way too many penalties.

And I see Hossa has a goal for New York...geeze who would I rather have?

Anyways a good way to start the year.

[Edited on 2005/10/6 by kaos]

when looking at the general lack of mtl scoring, remember that

A) The Bruins are generally thought of as a top-tier team

B) Zednik was injured, leaving the top line at first stilted and then forced to double shift the last member of their trio

Originally posted by kaos

Look like Pierre Dagenais took way too many penalties.

And I see Hossa has a goal for New York...geeze who would I rather have?

[Edited on 2005/10/6 by kaos]

that's a dead issue.

it may just be that dagenais, like many others in the league is still adjusting

he will have to learn new skills (like better reading of a play, better 'prediction' skills)... maybe can be done, maybe not... we'll see

he's still a good poor man's brett hull

ENJOY!!! raycroft after the winning goal by Ryder ;)

189324.jpg

NOTE :

- théodore was weak on bergeron's goal... but he made all the other big saves to win the game...

- ryder was not that intense at tonite's game... but he scored the winning goal...

Conclusion : we won the game against those bears and that's the most important thing!!! HEY HEY :)

As julien himself said about his team, ''average and slugish play, they look tired out there'',.... not very complimenting but exact.....It shured look dull compared to what I saw during the pre-saison.

That they can win against the Bruins while playing average its not bad news thought,....after all they didnt win a single game against them during the last regular season....althought they won the last three during play-off......the Bruins fans didnt appreciate the lost tonight.

Zednik out, probably rest him so he doesn't exaggerate the injury.

Zhog-Koivu-Kovalev

Dags-Ribs-Ryder

Bubu-Bonk-Sunny

Pleks-Begin-Vandermeer

And ask Komisarek to put Hossa through the boards ASAP, so he doesn't go scoring on Theo. He'd know the ins and outs, being in camp for the best whatever years.

Originally posted by shortcat1

that's a dead issue.

he will have to learn new skills (like better reading of a play, better 'prediction' skills)... maybe can be done, maybe not... we'll see

One of the broadcasters for CJAD summed it up perfectly for me (paraphrasing of course):

"Dagenais can't skate. If you can't skate, you hook and grab, and now you get penalties for it."

He's gonna have to adjust fairly quickly or he could be sitting more games than he plays. I still think he'll prove better than last year, but Higgins, Plekanec, and Perezhogin could just prove to be better.

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

Zednik out, probably rest him so he doesn't exaggerate the injury.  

Zhog-Koivu-Kovalev

Dags-Ribs-Ryder

Bubu-Bonk-Sunny

Pleks-Begin-Vandermeer

And ask Komisarek to put Hossa through the boards ASAP, so he doesn't go scoring on Theo.  He'd know the ins and outs, being in camp for the best whatever years.

umm, Vandermeer didn''t make the cut . Do you follow the team ?

Originally posted by Trizzak
Originally posted by shortcat1

that's a dead issue.

One of the broadcasters for CJAD summed it up perfectly for me (paraphrasing of course):

"Dagenais can't skate. If you can't skate, you hook and grab, and now you get penalties for it."

He's gonna have to adjust fairly quickly or he could be sitting more games than he plays. I still think he'll prove better than last year, but Higgins, Plekanec, and Perezhogin could just prove to be better.

I agree. They may very well prove to be and easily at that. Dagenais greatly risks being delegated to a filler for the team... a filler with a valid talent but a filler nevertheless.

I think Dagenais slow feet and inability to adjust to new obstruction rules may spell the end of his career in Mtl....I suspect he might be traded or waived before too long...also, since neither Ribs or Ryder are great skaters, I think Perezoigen might work out better on that line, or maybe Plekanik, who is speedy and fiesty. Finally, a prediction...Higgens will be our most valuable rookie this season.

I disagree. This was not a 'good' game. The Canadiens were fortunate to win this one, as they were out played for at least half of the game. They played well for most of the first period, fell asleep in the second, and woke up again late in the third. If it wasn't for Theodore, the team would have been out of it.

Originally posted by bebehabs

ENJOY!!! raycroft after the winning goal by Ryder ;)

189324.jpg

NOTE :

- théodore was weak on bergeron's goal... but he made all the other big saves to win the game...

- ryder was not that intense at tonite's game... but he scored the winning goal...

Conclusion : we won the game against those bears and that's the most important thing!!! HEY HEY :)

bebe thanks great picture (and your avatar), poor Bruins fans, but they must be used to having the Habs humiliate them hehehe, we've won four in a row against them now, right?

anyway didn't sound like a pretty game but we have to take the ugly wins too -- coupla points in the bank, stolen from a 'superior' team, well, can't be bad.

Well the Habs were dominated for good portions of the game and really didn't have any spark throughout......but I think it bodes well for the season when you can pull off a win in Bean town on an off night. Great night for the PK thought. Think Bergeron was the best player on the ice, with Theo a close second.

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu

I thought Dags should have been shot last year. Now.........A line with 2 poor skaters (Dags and Ryder) centered by a seriously up and down Riberio will not cut it in a game of speed.

Something must give.  

How about switching the 4th and 2nd lines?

SERIOUSLY

I think it was more lack of effort than anything.....At one point Ryder was reaching to try to receive a pass, when he really could have taken a couple of quick steps to get there......then 5 seconds later, he's racing full speed to chase down a puck.....I think Ryder has good 'straight line' speed, but both Dags and Ribeiro looked like they were coasting all night..... has Dags ever passed the puck before? every time he touches it, he tries to shoot!

Nice win.

They were outplayed...especially in the second period, where they should have gone down at least 1 goal if not for Theodore (as usual).

The best sign of change? I'm a Red Sox fan and I've never heard Terry Francona say one thing that may be interpreted as criticism about the players...it's nice to have a coach who isn't afraid to speak the truth:

Claude Julien thought his Montreal Canadiens looked sluggish, tired and average.

on Ryder's goal:

"I thought he played an average game," Julien said. "But good players find a way to make a difference, and although he had an average game, he found a way to score the winning goal."

I know this may seem like leadership 101 to some of you, but I'd pay anything to have Tito say things that challenge his players.

Good sign of things to come, if you ask me.

I say move up a 4th liner and bring in Ivanans-I'm busting at the seams waiting to see some more of his play. I know Purinton is out, but I would still love to see him tried on the power play and just park him in front of the net! Thoughts?

i watched the NYR game last night and they do have some explosivity. They can definitely score. They looked downright speedy against the flyers, but I'd doubt that would be the case with mon.

That being said, there are definitely a lot of floaters on the rangers. Especially before the 3rd period, there were a lot of missed opportunities for the rangers, they we acrid at clearing the zone and their neutral zone play was incredibly non-commital (maybe this was part of getting used to new obstruction rules).

An important thing for the habs in the upcoming game is for the Bonk line to shutdown Jagr. In last night's game, once Jagr realized that he wasnt being taken to seriously, he revived and made the flyers pay. No matter how bad he floats through his shifts, there needs to be a constant message from the has that he will not be allowed to challenge the play.

Ivanans v. Kasperitis? I'm fine with that. Frankly, getting Kasperitis off the ice would throw a lot of weight on Poti and generally hamstring the rangers D.

The flyers really made the ranger's bottom lines look silly, and there was a lot of luck (and a good game by Weekes) that they didnt put the nail in the coffin early in the play. Hopefully, montreal will be better able to take advantage by the increased opportunities.

Are you kidding when you said Kasparitis? 1st- he would never go with Ivanans. 2nd- Ivanans SHOULD be able to handle him like he was a 12yr old girl. I seriously like the idea of trying him on the power play though. At the very least, try it in practice. I just want some rough stuff to see how the team handles it, and to see if they play "bigger" with BIG MAN in the line-up