The first night of hockey!

jetsniper

Just a thread to talk about the other games in the NHL considering all 30 teams are in action. You can definitely tell the new rules are having an effect considering the scores across the league. Lots of 4's and 5's on the scoreboard. Games of note to me are the Rangers beating the Flyers 5-3, Wild beating the Flames 6-3 and the Devils demolishing the Penguins 5-1:o

And of course the Avs/Oilers game. 2nd intermission right now, 3-2 Oilers. The game has become "How many amazing saves can Aebischer make?". It was 2-2 for the longest time until Brisebois took a questionable interference penalty. His other interference penalty was questionable too but he's looked good so far, really throwing his weight around and landing some good hits. Not a whole lot of offense though. And the delay of game for shooting the puck over the glass penalty is stupid. :wall:

Overall, I'm just happy the hockey is back and I'm looking forward to a great season.

I'd rather see some 'questionable' interference calls than lots of hooking, grabbing, clutching, stick holding, etc.

To err on the side of good is WAY BETTER than to err on the side of wrong in this case.

:ghg::hlogo::ghg:

Originally posted by shortcat1

I'd rather see some 'questionable' interference calls than  lots of hooking, grabbing, clutching, stick holding, etc.

To err on the side of good is WAY BETTER than to err on the side of wrong in this case.

:ghg::hlogo::ghg:

Just saw the leafs/sens replays. ottawa ties right at the end of the third.

it goes to a shoot-out and, guess who wins it? sens

who scores the winning shoot-out goal? DANY HEATLEY!

(what a catch for the sens...)

not to be demeaning, but in the battle of the geriatric goalies, it looks like hasek won the first round.

[Edited on 2005/10/6 by shortcat1]

Lol, Brisebois actually scored for Colorado... go figure. Wonder if he's less stressed now that he's off the team?

Naslund had a couple goals as did Horcoff... why mention them? Cuz I've got them in my pool, muahahaha.

... Too bad I also to Curtis Joseph... hehe.

Marcel Hossa is having an incredible season! An 82 goal campain!!!!!!!!! :o (at current pace). That's better than any of the all time habs greats!!! I said it before and I'll say it again, bad trade we could have used a potential 82 goal scorer:)

jetsniper, did you see the Colorado game on NHL Centre Ice? It was listed in Leafland area but was not available here. Grrrrr... I like Sakic, Blake and the gang and was looking forward to this as my second game. Of course Habs now and in the future always first.

After a habs victory I look forward to western hockey games.

Don't know if anybody else has talked about the officiating in last night's games on this board. I thought it was fantastic. Saw the Habs game, last period of Leafs-Sens and last bit of Canucks games. All three contained late game penalties for "minor" infractions.

I've been waiting for this type of strict officiating for such long time. Was actually partly turned off the game because I felt the officiating was a joke. This gives so much credibility to the sport! Amen and here's to hoping it keeps up.

i like it that aside to some boo-birds from boston (and perhaps some late night flunky at TSN), it was apparent that refs were no longer deciding games with their calls. When a strike is a strike, no matter the inning, the pitcher is the only guy who is to blame for a walk.

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

jetsniper, did you see the Colorado game on NHL Centre Ice?  It was listed in Leafland area but was not available here.  Grrrrr...  I like Sakic, Blake and the gang and was looking forward to this as my second game.  Of course Habs now and in the future always first.

After a Habs victory I look forward to western hockey games.

Nah, I saw the Avs game on TSN since the Flames and Oilers games were both Alberta-only. I guess I lucked out there, lol. With the officiating, it seems that if you even think of taking your hand off your stick to defend, you get a penalty. My only real beef was with oen call last night. Laaksonen skated in front of a guy, barely brushed him, to give Sakic some room to move. Got called for interference. I thought that was a little uptight but the rest were reasonable. (And Edmonton also got the winner off that penalty. It wasn't a PP goal but they scored about 2 seconds after it ended)

And yeah Maca, Brisebois looked really good last night, lol. The only guy who was working his ass off more was Blake. Brisebois took two bad penalties but it didn't matter since our PK looked awesome. He's definitely no Foote but if he plays like he did last night, he'll quickly grow on me. I'm gathering one thing from the new NHL. The Dump and Chase has been thoroughly eliminated which is great. We were trying it and we got spanked so that should be fixed by Q.

As for the Calder race, I'm not sure if hes still a rookie but Fristche got both of the Blue Jacket's goals last night.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Fan590 out of Toronto is reporting that JFJr has said Sundin will be out a minimum of 4-6 weeks with a fractured orbital bone.

Out of all the leafs who we thought would get injured this year nobody would of ever guessed Sundin would be the first, and would suffer a serious injury. What a fluke play. Lucky for the leafs they have great centre depth. Still a big hit though to lose your captain a few minutes into the season.