2020 Playoff Pool

dlbalr

While I'm not at all happy with Sportsnet for changing the rules for their regular season pool once the season was called (costing me $2,500 in the process), we'll stick with them for the playoff pool.  It's the same format as before although there is an extra round this time for the Qualifying Round this time around.

Pool Home Page: https://fantasy.sportsnet.ca/sportsnet/hkplayoff20/portfolio

Search for HabsWorld Playoff Pool 2020 (Click H or type in the name)
Password is habsworld (all lower case)

3 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

What happenned ?  And how come 2500$ ?!?!?!

In their regular season pool, the top three finishers in each half receive cash prizes ($8,000 for 1st, $2,500 for 2nd, $1,000 for 3rd).  By some sheer fluke, I happened to be 2nd out of over 40,000 people in the second half when the pandemic hit so I was in line to get the $2,500.  However, against their own rules which said points would count until the end of the year, they decided to roll it back to the last full week completed and use the standings at that time.  I was 4th at that time so instead of getting the money, I got nothing, effectively costing me $2,500.  When I inquired as to why they made the change, they said it was 'fairer' to do it that way.  I, for one, disagree with that position.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

sue

There's one of those notes in the fineprint that says they have the right to adjust the contest rules for any reason without notice which I suspect was put in for this very reason (and it was there before this all started).

48 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

ok, I joined. Now what should I do?

My first hockey pool

You have to pick 3 F, 2 D, and 1 G from each conference and stay within the 'salary cap' of 30.  You will get to pick again after this round (and the first two rounds of the playoffs as well).

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I'm not a big hockey pool guy

ditto, but simply dont do any pools, dont follow non-Habs teams enough and dont follow playoffs closely (or at all) if Habs arnt playing.

20 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Dubnyk didn't play for the Habs but he technically was with Montreal briefly.

8 games for Hamilton ... would have been nice if they had re-signed him rather than keeping Tokarski ... but Devin wasn't just looking for a NHL job ... he wanted to play

34 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

8 games for Hamilton ... would have been nice if they had re-signed him rather than keeping Tokarski ... but Devin wasn't just looking for a NHL job ... he wanted to play

Considering he literally walked out on the team midway through a playoff series, there was no way they were keeping him.  (And in Montreal's defence, Dubnyk was terrible that year, including in Hamilton.)

8 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Considering he literally walked out on the team midway through a playoff series, there was no way they were keeping him.  (And in Montreal's defence, Dubnyk was terrible that year, including in Hamilton.)

Just about ad terrible as this year.

I’m not convinced Stalock won’t be the starter. 

10 hours ago, dlbalr said:

You make it sound like he walked out of the locker-room after warmups one night and disappeared ... as I recall he was filling time practicing with the scrubs in Montreal ... with Price (obviously), Budaj and Tokarski ahead of him, as a pending UFA, and not having seen his young (less than a year-old) child for a couple of months he asked if he could go home ... MB said yes

9 hours ago, GHT120 said:

You make it sound like he walked out of the locker-room after warmups one night and disappeared ... as I recall he was filling time practicing with the scrubs in Montreal ... with Price (obviously), Budaj and Tokarski ahead of him, as a pending UFA, and not having seen his young (less than a year-old) child for a couple of months he asked if he could go home ... MB said yes

Okay, he chose to leave the team in the middle of a playoff series.  That's basically the same thing but not as strongly-worded.  It's still not the type of action that would resonate well with management.  It's not as if he was the only one of the reserve players with a family that made this situation a unique one for him and the others stuck it out.  I get why he left mid-series but when you leave the team in the middle of a playoff run, it's not a recipe for returning the following season.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

...I get why he left mid-series but when you leave the team in the middle of a playoff run, it's not a recipe for returning the following season.

He left, in part, because they told him where he fit on the depth chart ... the team had already decided not to bring him back ... he was purely a playoff depth acquisition

• 2 weeks later...