Habs vs Penguins Pre-Play-In Series Discussion

xXx..CK..xXx

After analyzing the standings I noticed that Pittsburgh was quite good at home but mediocre on the road this year. 

The Habs on the other hand were mediocre both on the road as well as at home. 

Hopefully the fact that there will be no home crowd will make both teams perform in mediocre fashion, thus giving the Habs an opportunity.

My prediction is that the Penguins take it in 4 but  I want to be wrong.

Do you have any thoughts or predictions to share about the play-in series, prior to puck drop in less than two weeks? 

The Habs are capable of being a good team when energized and healthy. 

I expect a hard-fought series, with the Penguins winning, but the Habs looking better than expected. Four games is a safe bet, but five wouldn't shock me at all.

For anyone interested in the TV situation, Sportsnet and TVA Sports have the series in Canada and NBCSN in the US.  CBC and the main NBC network will have Game 1 at least (and probably Game 4 if there is one).

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

For anyone interested in the TV situation, Sportsnet and TVA Sports have the series in Canada and NBCSN in the US.  CBC and the main NBC network will have Game 1 at least (and probably Game 4 if there is one).

☹️

I watch the French broadcasts ... much prefer RDS ... do not like the TVA crew ... but still better than Sportsnet (from the little I have heard of them).

12 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Habs are capable of being a good team when energized and healthy. 

I expect a hard-fought series, with the Penguins winning, but the Habs looking better than expected. Four games is a safe bet, but five wouldn't shock me at all.

WTF?

I think someone must of stolen your profile CC!

12 hours ago, DON said:

WTF?

I think someone must of stolen your profile CC!

Quite consistent with my other posts during the 2019-20 season.

Many bubble teams are "capable of being a good team when energized and healthy." The Habs are among those.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Quite consistent with my other posts during the 2019-20 season.

Anyways, not to make a big deal, was just nice to not see some crazy cynical term to describe Habs situation, that's all.:clap:

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Murray has apparently been terrible in pens practices and scrimmages.

I.get they are going with the guy with playoff experience but hes gotta have a short leash.

That's what I would assume ... apparently Jarry is playing great but Murray feels comfortable going with Murray's experience.

But in a five-game series, losing even one game to bad goaltending could have tragic consequences.

Tom

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Rutherford apparently plans to play Murray in the Pens' net.

He's the GM, not the coach though.  It'll ultimately be Sullivan's decision although the expectation all along would be that Murray gets the start but has a short leash.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He's the GM, not the coach though.  It'll ultimately be Sullivan's decision although the expectation all along would be that Murray gets the start but has a short leash.

Indeed. But he is the coach's boss so he may have some influence on the decision, too. 🤪

I’ve never thought highly of Murray in the NHL. Even during his good runs. I’ve had one or two debates on here about him, but I still feel that way. 

47 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I’ve never thought highly of Murray in the NHL. Even during his good runs. I’ve had one or two debates on here about him, but I still feel that way. 

That was my attitude to Fleury. It always seemed to me that - at least in his time on the Pens - he pretty much sucked in the playoffs, except for 07-08. I had trouble understanding their undying loyalty to him and quite understood when they finally flipped him out in favour of Murray.

Sat, Aug 1 - GAME 1

Scotiabank Arena, Toronto

8:00 PM ET

MTL @ PIT

Mon, Aug 3 - GAME 2

MTL @ PIT

Wed, Aug 5 - GAME 3

VS. 

PIT @ MTL

Fri, Aug 7 - **GAME 4

VS. 

TBD

PIT @ MTL

Sat, Aug 8 - **GAME 5

TBD

MTL @ PIT

27 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Pens in 4 is the most likely outcome, but Pens in 3 won't surprise me at all.

With Thompson/Kovalchuk/Cousins gone I would lean towards 3 and gone.

I will be on the ocean fishing on 7-8, so a sweep would kinda work for me.

Then the long wait till Dec/Jan start up of 20-21 season.:cry_smile:

41 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Pens in 4 is the most likely outcome, but Pens in 3 won't surprise me at all.

Or vice-versa ... and then MB will be nestled all snug in his bed, while visions of Lafrenière dance in his head.

As expected by most Matt Murray gets the start

The cheap shot to take is 2-time Stanley Cup Champion Murray versus 0-time Stanley Cup Champion Price ... but Carey has never had a Crosby or a Malkin to lead his team ... let alone both ... or a complete TEAM built as well as those two Pens teams.

I am conflicted as like others I long for an end to the 26+ year drought ... and I also do want veterans like Price, Weber and Petry to win a Cup ... ideally with Habs but I'm also OK if it has to be elsewhere ... but I don't see this edition of the Habs doing it ... I want the best draft pick possible (be it 1st or 9th) in a deep draft to have the best chance to add the best assets possible in another draft ... so ...

Pay well Habs ... fight hard Habs ... hope Suzuki and KK take the right lessons (good and bad) from it to build on ... but I don't want a series win

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Don't know why the Oilers started Smith.  Koskinen was better all season. 

Because Smith has a HUGE 24 games of playoff experience over his 14 seasons while Koskinen has none?

Veteran bias?

Stupidity?

Likely a combination of all three ... but whatever the reason it proved to be wrong ... very, very wrong

A quick note on the schedule - expect the league to announce tomorrow/early Thursday that Game 4 of this series will be an afternoon start - likely 4 PM EST.  Game 5, if necessary, would likely be an 8 PM start.