ESPN on Habs Offseason and next Season

TheAussiePosse

Here is the link to ESPN's Habs 03-04 analysis:

http://msn.espn.go.com/nhl/s/2003offseason/mon.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Boston was 2 days ago ( I think) ad Buffalo was today (I think), so therefore we should be tomorrow (I think).

I'm just guessing because if they start with NE Division, and go alphabetically...:

Boston

Buffalo

Montreal

Ottawa

Toronto

But it's just a guess. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention for the rest of the ones.

Anyway, :ghg:

[Edited on 23-7-03 by Habs77]

Or maybe it will be Calgary.. if it's the alphabetical order (Boston, Buffalo.. Calgary?) of the entire NHL ?!

Anyways i think we'll see tomorrow ;)

[Edited on 2003-7-23 by sakiqc]

Patrice Brisebois who took a mid-season European vacation after being told to rest by team doctors after complaining of stress symptoms -- is likely in for another long season of hearing it from the Bell Centre crowd. Craig Rivet, Stephane Quintal and Patrick Traverse are journeymen at best.

Put it all together and you get a team that will struggle again to make the playoffs and has the potential to lead the league in only one thing: controversial headlines.

Finally a writer who sees Rivet for what he really is...

I'm so sick of Pierre McGwire saying Rivet is a very good D man who is coveted around the league. Fact is he's good friends with Rivet and never misses a chance to give him a plug, even if not deserved.

McGwire was going on last year about how Rivet was "courageous" to be playing with such a bad wrist, that he shouldn't even be playing.

Next thing you know Rivet's off to the World Championships.. probably invited because McGwire called in a few favors.

So I applaud anyone who'll call Rivet a journeyman D man... very true.

He could have throw in Dykhuis into the mix.

As for his assessment of the Habs in the article... to that I say he's right skill-wise that we have nothing to rave about.

But I don't buy the doomsday theory, Minnesota's lineup didn't scare anybody either and they did very well... all will depend on whether the Habs figure out how to play as a team this year... I think they will.

The number one reason we weren't a team last year is because we had too many vets thinking they deserved more ice-time... this year we've cleared 5 of those unsatisfied vets: Hackett, Gilmour, Petrov, Czerk, McKay... most will be replaced by young kids who won't have that disruptive attitude under Julien whom they know from Hamilton.

We'll be better this year... if there are no injuries to key players that is, that's a big concern of mine.

On the good side if there are injuries, the kids are gonna see even more action... which is good for the longterm, if not the short.

I guess anything is better than having a moron like Hickey write a critique on the Habs.

However, I want one of the La Presse Journos' to write a report on Ottawa in return. While it might be a little biased against the Senators, it would still be fair, right?

I don't feel that the Habs are all doom and gloom like the article said. And I wish he'd gone into more depth about the players, and less about "Habs will never ever win another Stanley Cup" and "Habs will suck again", etc.

Nothing there about Dykhuis or Souray. Garon? Nada. Ryder, Gratton? Dwyer? Nuffin. And yet there are 12 Paragraphs about how Theodore is 'scandalous'. There are 5 on the rest of the habs's players. :?-

OI! THIS IS A HOCKEY COLUMN! YOU MIGHT FANTASIZE ABOUT WRITING FOR THE GAZETTE ONE DAY, BUT UNTIL THEN, STICK WITH HOCKEY!

I mean, c'mon, the title:

Habs' Tournaround Nowhere in Sight

...is just a little too depressing. Of course the future's within sight. In fact, with Montreal's farm team better than Ottawa's, I wonder who will be leading in points 5 years from now? 10 years?

Nah, it's a better article than we could expect certain La Presse ######s(and I think Herb {Zurkowsky} is writing for THN, so he was unavailble), seeing as it wasn't entirely biased for us.

Anyway, next season will tell all for a few players. Juneau and Audette (referred to in the article as "on the way down") will be facing their contract's end and UFA-dom, so who knows, they might pick up their game.

I want to see Dykhuis, Rivet and Brisebois show us that we're wrong about them this coming season. Same with Jose. And with Joe, Donald, Yanic, Chad, and Dackell (if he's still around).

For all we know, he could be trying to jinx us, but in the good way.

*Knock on Wood*

:ghg: