July 28, Maple Leafs vs Habs, 8 PM

dlbalr

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Good news : hockey is back

Bad news : CH is playing like a team that will not make the playoffs 

Same team we saw all season. Unsurprisingly.

Drouin's haplessness on the 4th goal was depressing...sigh.

It's really hard to see a team with this kind of defensive coverage having much success against the battle-hardened Penguins. You can't win in the playoffs with that quantity of "little mistakes" in your own end.

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

To quote 1970’s Global TV News anchor Peter Trueman:

“That’s not news. But that, too, is reality.”

5-on-4 PP isn't working ... why not pull Price and try 6-on-4

7 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

CJ should order someone to take a penalty immediately on the faceoff when given a man advantage to make it 4 on 4.  I'm only halfway kidding.

👍 That's the kind of innovative tactical thinking we need behind the bench

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yep, if I never see the Dutch Gretzky squandering a close-in scoring chance again, it'll be too soon. Hard to believe we don't have better than him somewhere in the system 😝

They do.  I'd suggest every other forward on the roster (Hudon, Poehling, Evans, Belzile) is already better.  The one they cut (Dauphin) was better.  But hey, Weise is a veteran and a good guy so he has to get the first opportunity for some reason.  As much as Julien said he wants to play some youngsters in this series, this current lineup configuration does its best to hold as many of those youngsters out as possible.  There is no logical reason for Weise and Ouellet to be even getting considered for the lineup but here we are.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Better news: Our chances at a top-two draft pick are pretty damn close to 25% now.

30 seconds in,  Chiarot with an awful and useless pinch in,  2 on 1,  Weber can't block the passing option, goal.

Like the season never got interrupted

I see Gallagher-Tatar both were -3, but Gallagher had 9 shots.

19:53 for Suzuki, most of the forwards.

Did Fleury get hurt, only 7:53 in a practice game

I hope Oulette isnt a serious option to actually dress vs Pitt. he is not NHL calibre d-man.

And only 10:59 for Mete, too bad he needed to play Weber 24+minutes in a meaning less game.

If Julien gets fired in couple weeks, it wont break my heart.

16 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Better news: Our chances at a top-two draft pick are pretty damn close to 25% now.

image.png

The Play-In-Teams won the regular lottery for the #1 pick ... spots 2 through 8 were allocated to the NON-play-in teams ... the #1 pick will be decided by a second lottery in which the play-in losers each have a 12.5% chance ... the teams that lose the play-in AND the second lottery are then seeded from 9-15 according to their season performance.

Habs, if they lose to Pittsburgh, have a 12.5% chance at first overall ... in the other 87.5% of the time they pick 9th 

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

image.png

The Play-In-Teams won the regular lottery for the #1 pick ... spots 2 through 8 were allocated to the NON-play-in teams ... the #1 pick will be decided by a second lottery in which the play-in losers each have a 12.5% chance ... the teams that lose the play-in AND the second lottery are then seeded from 9-15 according to their season performance.

Habs, if they lose to Pittsburgh, have a 12.5% chance at first overall ... in the other 87.5% of the time they pick 9th 

hook, line and sinker 

🎣 🎣 🎣 

17 minutes ago, DON said:

I see Gallagher-Tatar both were -3, but Gallagher had 9 shots.

19:53 for Suzuki, most of the forwards.

Did Fleury get hurt, only 7:53 in a practice game

I hope Oulette isnt a serious option to actually dress vs Pitt. he is not NHL calibre d-man.

And only 10:59 for Mete, too bad he needed to play Weber 24+minutes in a meaning less game.

If Julien gets fired in couple weeks, it wont break my heart.

The fact that Weise is in there when we should be using this as an evaluation of our kids - which he himself had said he would do - tells me that he clearly is not the guy who should be in charge of this team.

Drouin did squat- that deal is looking better and better😤
Could have tried swapping out KK or Domi to see how they do with Suzuki.

6 minutes ago, DON said:

... If Julien gets fired in couple weeks, it wont break my heart.

IMO Julien only gets fired in a couple of weeks if Molson sends MB out the door with him ... Bergevin might have had another "Get the GM Out of a Hole - Coaching Change" card to play but I think selling Molson on the re-tool in 2018 was his last "hall pass" ... think 20/21 is playoffs or bust for MB

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

hook, line and sinker 

🎣 🎣 🎣 

Glad to make your day ... but not certain what clue there was that it was a "trap"

My son summed this game up 5 minutes in. It was a beer league game. Both teams looked real bad.

Some of the players were out for a skate at game speed it seeemed. A liitle slower than game speed. Our d was sloppy to say the least. Carey was actually very good and again, deserved better support. 

Toronto was closer to game form and have the talent to finish passses. Enough said? I would rather see any of the kids than Weise. 

On the point I think Fluery should have won the 3rd pairing spot. As has been mentioned, rather unnoticed and that was a good thing. 

Bottom line, play like that and out in 3. Maybe that is the plan? 

Pens also looked cold today but were getting it going as it went on. Glad I didn't buy that NHL playoff package. 

I wonder what Romanov thought watching our D? Bet he feels confident about cracking the lineup. 

The modest good news has nothing to do with the Habs: the arena set-up looked pretty cool, considering the place was empty, and it's fun to hear the players yelling. A pity the broadcasters insist on piping in artificial fan noise - it just sounds silly. What they really should be doing is micing the coaches, taking fans closer to the action, creating a uniquely intimate viewing experience. 

The intermission footage was so bizarre as to be almost worth watching for once.

And the bubble is working - no Covid for a while now. This crazy format just might work out.

johnnyhasbeen, I thought one team did look pretty good out there. It's just that it was the wrong one. The Leafs are a neurotic bunch, but they are exciting and have about 3X the talent of the team they were playing last night.

19 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The fact that Weise is in there when we should be using this as an evaluation of our kids - which he himself had said he would do - tells me that he clearly is not the guy who should be in charge of this team.

Drouin did squat- that deal is looking better and better😤
Could have tried swapping out KK or Domi to see how they do with Suzuki.

I won't cry if CJ is canned, but do you really believe another coach could get hugely better results out of this bunch? A dearth of talent is tbe fundamental problem. And no coach is getting fired because of his chouce of 12th FW. 

What does bother me is that he is setting up Domi, who actually does have some talent, to fail, by placing him between cement-hands Weise and butterfingers Weal.

As for Drouin, I continue to maintain: any team counting on him in a key role will be disappointed. I've seen this movie too many times - great tools, no tool box.

54 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

35% on weekends 🙃

16 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Glad to make your day ... but not certain what clue there was that it was a "trap"

It was hard to tell, just knowing that Tom would know the odds and was making a smart a55 remark

22 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It was hard to tell, just knowing that Tom would know the odds and was making a smart a55 remark

Live and learn