Aug. 1, Game 1 - Habs vs Penguins, 8 PM

dlbalr

1 minute ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Too much hating on Drouin. It bothers me because to do well we will need him. 

Any team that “needs” Drouin will regret it. I’ve seen his kind too many times. Big hat, no cattle.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, brobin said:

Honestly, hoping they get a shot at the draft pick... we need to build a better team, not squeak in to a single playoff round..

Our kind aren't welcome here. Long term outlook has no place at a playoff party.

I get it... we all want Lafreniere. BUT how can anyone technically cheer against winning in the playoffs. We want Suzuki and KK to fail? SUzuki was arguably the 1st star of this game if not for Petry scoring the winner.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, I brought out my habs Jersey from when I was 4 years old. I took it out of the frame, and held it, well too small to fit into it, haha

Last time I did it was the 93 cup run and the OT wins... I am not superstitious, but sentimental as life long Habs fan.

Suzuki is coming of age fast, with Danault penalties, he stepped up with the PK's

Solid effort!!

Great to have hockey back!

habs win.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just now, Trizzak said:

Our kind aren't welcome here. Long term outlook has no place at a playoff party.

I have a long term outlook too but if you can't enjoy a playoff victory then you might as well ...............................  sorry I don't know how finish the sentence.  Playoff victories haven't been exactly plentiful the last few years.  

1 minute ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I get it... we all want Lafreniere. BUT how can anyone technically cheer against winning in the playoffs. We want Suzuki and KK to fail? SUzuki was arguably the 1st star of this game if not for Petry scoring the winner.

Exactly, the more games that Suzuki and KK, and even guys like Domi, Mete, Kulak, who have no playoff experience, get to play in this, the better for the long-term future of the team. 

Development happens by doing. 

1 minute ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I dont believe we were totally dominated.

We were dominated in the first 6 minutes.  After that, things evened out.

The Pens also had 7 PPs to our 2, and that made a difference. 

But we can play with them, and we absolutely were competitive in this game. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, brobin said:

Then think beyond this season... this team isn’t winning Stanley....

I cheer for wins until winning Stanley is no longer possible.  that was the same argument i made in the regular season. 

If the last few months have taught us anything, its that Hockey and sports are entertainment, a distraction from the world. 

And guess what, to me, winning is more fun... so I'm cheering for wins... however many may come. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I cheer for wins until winning Stanley is no longer possible.  that was the same argument i made in the regular season. 

If the last few months have taught us anything, its that Hockey and sports are entertainment, a distraction from the world. 

And guess what, to me, winning is more fun... so I'm cheering for wins... however many may come. 

100%. Remember that the consolation prize is a 12.5% chance of getting Lafrenniere. Nice odds, relatively speaking, but still an 87.5% chance of NOT getting the pick. If it were a 100% chance  of doing getting him, then I might actually be cheering for a loss here, but that’s not the case.

• Upvote 1

Why exactly does wanting to win mean that we are not thinking beyond this season? A 9th overall pick is going to change our future that drastically? One cannot rationally tell me that they expect that by losing, we would get the 1st overall pick. It’s possible, but definitely not the likely outcome. Even so, even getting a 1st overall pick ensures nothing when it comes to an imminent Stanley Cup. Quite often these picks take years to develop on a Stanley Cup winning team, if ever.

If the Habs lose the series, I will then turn my attention to the thought of potentially drafting 1st overall. 

Until then, I’ll be cheering for wins. I know one thing and that’s had we lost, I likely wouldn’t be reading this thread right now. 

Look. I like seeing a win as much as the next person, but I am tired of hoping for some unlikely win that never comes... we need to keep building this team. I 2amt a highly competitive team that is likely to win a cup for several years, not “anything is possible”.  We might not get the pick, amen even if we do, it might not pan out.... but in the long run, play the odds.. a couple years of good drafting and there will be a great team around some of our good young players.

now the odds also tell me we need a better GM and drafting team too, but that is another discussion...

Just watched the highlights.  Looks like we had Price at his best to keep us in the game at the start and  Suzuki and KK looked fantastic.  Suzuki looks like he could be a #1 centre and glad to see he got lots of minutes.

PK was clutch and PP was - well, it is what is.  

It’s a short series, so the pressure is now on the pens, but I really can’t see us winning the series as long as veterans take so many penalties, Domi is wasted with players with no finish and Drouin is 2nd half useless Drouin.  But I think this series could be Suzuki’s coming out party!!

It was great to see hockey again even if it was a bit weird.

What I saw was a continuation of the season for us. We run around in our own end like idiots and as long as that is happening we aren't winning crap.

Price is such a joy to watch and he was very strong last night.

I don't know how anyone can be defending Drouin. My position on him remains the same...he is too dumb to play in the NHL and relying on him to be a key part of this team is a recipe for continuous disappointment.

My opinion on Domi also remains the same...a one season wonder that is nothing more than a 30-40 point guy. I know he was playing with scrubs on the 4th line but that was because that is precisely what Domi is. I hope we trade him this off season.

Suzuki looks really frigging good. Both ends of the ice he is solid.

KK looked much stronger on his skates and was clearly more involved in every play than he used to be.

Danault line was great and I don't understand the heat they get.

While I would prefer a chance at the #1 pick (we are not good enough to win right now) it is nice to see the young guys play so well.

28 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I don't know how anyone can be defending Drouin. My position on him remains the same...he is too dumb to play in the NHL and relying on him to be a key part of this team is a recipe for continuous disappointment.

If the downvote system still existed, this would get one. 

When Drouin had 14 points in 17 games in his last playoff appearance, including 5 points in 6 games against Pittsburgh, all the while looking better than Crosby, was he still “too dumb” to play in the NHL?

I can’t take the opinion of anyone who wants the Habs to lose this series seriously. 

Why do you derive some type of pleasure by criticizing someone’s mental capabilities? Do you think it will get you “in” with everyone else who is doing so? “Other people are bashing him, so people will like me now because I am too.”

Oh, it’s your own opinion? That’s probably even worse.

Watch a little bit of hockey, and you will see players like Patrick Kane display the exact same type of body language as Drouin. Half the time, he looks like he doesn’t care/isn’t trying, yet I am sure Blackhawk fans are not complaining about having him.

Now, before I get criticized for comparing simpleton Drouin to God-Reincarnated Kane, I am not saying Drouin has as much skill as Kane. What I am saying is that they are both skill based players however, who exibit the same mental lapses, turnovers, and lack of enthusiasm. The “nonchalant” backhand move that Drouin tried is the exact same “nonchalant” move Kane would make as well. When it works, it’s beautiful, when it doesn’t it looks like he “is too dumb to play in the NHL”.

Finally, it’s really fun to get your words twisted. No one is counting on Drouin to be the guy this play-in(off). With that being said, if the Habs are going to have long term success in these playoffs, they will need Drouin to contribute. That’s all that’s being said, and it isn’t rocket science in and of itself.

I look forward to seeing what happens when he does score a precious goal for us. The haters will forget about it and move on to the game after where he AGAIN!! has 0 points. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

If the downvote system still existed, this would get one. 

When Drouin had 14 points in 17 games in his last playoff appearance, including 5 points in 6 games against Pittsburgh, all the while looking better than Crosby, was he still “too dumb” to play in the NHL?

I can’t take the opinion of anyone who wants the Habs to lose this series seriously. 

Why do you derive some type of pleasure by criticizing someone’s mental capabilities? Do you think it will get you “in” with everyone else who is doing so? “Other people are bashing him, so people will like me now because I am too.”

Oh, it’s your own opinion? That’s probably even worse.

Watch a little bit of hockey, and you will see players like Patrick Kane display the exact same type of body language as Drouin. Half the time, he looks like he doesn’t care/isn’t trying, yet I am sure Blackhawk fans are not complaining about having him.

Now, before I get criticized for comparing simpleton Drouin to God-Reincarnated Kane, I am not saying Drouin has as much skill as Kane. What I am saying is that they are both skill based players however, who exibit the same mental lapses, turnovers, and lack of enthusiasm. The “nonchalant” backhand move that Drouin tried is the exact same “nonchalant” move Kane would make as well. When it works, it’s beautiful, when it doesn’t it looks like he “is too dumb to play in the NHL”.

Finally, it’s really fun to get your words twisted. No one is counting on Drouin to be the guy this play-in(off). With that being said, if the Habs are going to have long term success in these playoffs, they will need Drouin to contribute. That’s all that’s being said, and it isn’t rocket science in and of itself.

I look forward to seeing what happens when he does score a precious goal for us. The haters will forget about it and move on to the game after where he AGAIN!! has 0 points. 

I'm not questioning the man's intelligence as a human being. When I call him dumb I do so in the context of hockey intelligence. If you prefer then Cucumber's analogy works just as well - Big hat no cattle...

The frustration comes from the fact that he has incredible skill he just does not know how to use it.