Aug. 3, Game 2 - Habs vs Penguins, 8 PM

dlbalr

3 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Tatar or Gallagher need to get something going here.

Gallagher went to the locker-room early/mid-period-ish ... looked a little "uncomfortable" as he left but was back fairly quickly ... could be less than 100%

Frustrating how the Habs are just a   notch under skilled, a tad unlucky and a second slower to get the win.

Pittsburgh was ready to be beaten tonight. 

Let’s hope next game is entertaining 

Just now, Commandant said:

If Price stays this locked in for the rest of the series, the team has a very good chance of winning 2/3 games

If they can score a couple of goals per game

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If Price stays this locked in for the rest of the series, the team has a very good chance of winning 2/3 games

That's all we hear with this team if price, if price, if price, if price, if price. When are we going to get price help?

37 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

... Also for those of you who think Price has no trade value look at these 2 playoff games. Any playoff team that needs a goaltender would love to have Price ...

I agree ... the issue with Price is his cap-hit ... most playoff teams that need a goaltender would have issues fitting him under their cap ...Habs would likely have to retain at least $3 million (maybe the full $5.25) ... but as I am a major re-tool advocate I could get behind that ... I won't quite call it a normal rebuild as the Habs already have some talented young players like KK & NS on the team ... Romanov, Fleury and Juulsen knocking on the door ... Caufield, Struble, Norlinder and Harris awaiting their chance ... I see these as potential top 6/top4 players ... not all will work out but the cupboard is not bare ... didn't mention Poehling or Evans as I am not certain they have top 6 potential but should be very good bottom 6 players (and the importance of that role can be underestimated)

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I agree ... the issue with Price is his cap-hit ... most playoff teams that need a goaltender would have issues fitting him under their cap ...Habs would likely have to retain at least $3 million ... but as I am a major re-tool advocate I could get behind that ... I won't quite call it a normal rebuild as the Habs already have some talented young players like KK & NS on the team ... Romanov, Fleury and Juulsen knocking on the door ... Caufield, Struble, Norlinder and Harris awaiting their chance ... I see these as potential top 6/top4 players ... not all will work out but the cupboard is not bare ... didn't mention Poehling or Evans as I am not certain they have top 6 potential but should be very good bottom 6 players (and the importance of that role can be underestimated)

Yes I see potential with the young players also. Its just this team is not close to competing for the cup.

24 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

That's all we hear with this team if price, if price, if price, if price, if price. When are we going to get price help?

The habs are not going to empty the cupboard to get immediate help, so in my mind the question is whether Price will still be Price in 3-4 years when 5-6-7 of the youngsters in the pipeline are ready to make significant contributions ... OR ... whether he will be willing to wait that long ... it is a next summer topic, but I wouldn't be shocked if he decided that it would be nice to finish out his career where he and his family spent their summer ... in Washington State, his wife's home ... or, if not Seattle, at least somewhere closer to there (i.e., Colorado, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver)

Looking at Game 3 ... with Habs having last change will Julian take a shot on Fleury or Juulsen to have a natural RHD to play with Ouellette ... once again Ouellette was a regular on the PK, and he is a +/- "0" thus far, so he isn't going anywhere ... 

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The habs are not going to empty the cupboard to get immediate help, so in my mind the question is whether Price will still be Price in 3-4 years when 5-6-7 of the youngsters in the pipeline are ready to make significant contributions ... OR ... whether he will be willing to wait that long ... it is a next summer topic, but I wouldn't be shocked if he decided that it would be nice to finish out his career where he and his family spent their summer ... in Washington State, his wife's home ... or at least somewhere closer to there (i.e., Colorado, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver)

Edmonton with Price would be scary to watch. All they need is a goaltender like Price to put them over the top.

Price is playing like this could be his only opportunity for a cup run in Montreal for awhile.

12 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Edmonton with Price would be scary to watch. All they need is a goaltender like Price to put them over the top.

Price is playing like this could be his only opportunity for a cup run in Montreal for awhile.

Oilers have a tight cap situation ... but if Koskinen ($4.5 fro next 2 seasons) was included and the Habs retained some money it might work ... AND/OR ... they might have to look at taking on someone like Larson( who is down to 4th in TOI 5-on-5 ... 5th on the PK, and with no PP role) to make the cap situation work ... don't know what the carrot (return that they want) would be for the Habs ... 

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Oilers have a tight cap situation ... but if Koskinen ($4.5 fro next 2 seasons) was included and the Habs retained some money it might work ... AND/OR ... they might have to look at taking on someone like Larson who is down to 4th in TOI 5-on-5 ... 5th on the PK, and with no PP role) to make the cap situation work ... don't know what the carrot (return that they want) would be for the Habs ... 

I think if the habs take back some bad contracts like Neal and Koskinen along with Puljujarvi and a 1st for Price and Byron could work out good for both teams. We could then flip Neal to another team and eat some of his cap hit.

But i don't see Price going anywhere as long as Bergevin is GM. 

Feel bad for Price and Weber as I would love them to win a cup.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Stupid penalties for professionals.

The first two many men in a game is on the players. Repeated stupidity is on the coach.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Wow now I understand why this team hasn't made the playoffs in 3 years.

Also for those of you who think Price has no trade value look at these 2 playoff games. Any playoff team that needs a goaltender would love to have Price.

We just need to let Pittsburgh take this series and hope for a 1st round pick. 

Correction, hope for THE first overall pick.

18 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think if the habs take back some bad contracts like Neal and Koskinen along with Puljujarvi and a 1st for Price and Byron could work out good for both teams. We could then flip Neal to another team and eat some of his cap hit.

So Puljujarvi (who has proven nothing) and a pick in the 20s, and two cap dumps for Price and Byron?  no thanks

21 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I’d want a lot more than that for giving up price AND taking a bad contracts. I’d want at least one of their top two D prospects- if not both and another blue chip prospect back with the first rounder and Puljujarvi.  It’s a moot point though. I can’t see Price waiving ti spend the next 5 years in Edmonton - even if it’s with mcdavid.  Calgary is a possibility.

For all those that say it’s wrong to complain that we can only win because of price, we’ll this game is a prime example. Price can pitch a shutout for three periods, or let in one goal, but that doesn’t matter if you can’t score or usually get a goal per game.  Even when Roy was stealing games for us in the 86 and 93 cup runs we had solid goal scorers, good centres and good dmen.  Hell I think we had 3 guys with 90 points in 93.  Unless we can count on Price to also score goals for us or improve our PP, you can’t hope that he shits out the other tram for 2 or 3 games - that is just unrealistic - but unfortunately that is what it would take with our current lineup.  

7 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d want a lot more than that for giving up price AND taking a bad contracts. I’d want at least one of their top two D prospects- if not both and another blue chip prospect back with the first rounder and Puljujarvi.  It’s a moot point though. I can’t see Price waiving ti spend the next 5 years in Edmonton - even if it’s with mcdavid.  Calgary is a possibility.

We would be getting cap space in trading price and weber and just do a full on rebuild. We got some good young talent by the time they're ready to take the next step we. Would then have the cap space to add to that new young core group of players.

17 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

We would be getting cap space in trading price and weber and just do a full on rebuild. We got some good young talent by the time they're ready to take the next step we. Would then have the cap space to add to that new young core group of players.

But how are you going to get the young core players? I don’t want just draft picks. Otherwise you are the Sabres, having draft picks with over paid washed up UFA’s. 

I want A mix of elite young players, bonafide blue chip can’t prospects and the high draft picks.  I don’t want to waste cap space on UFA’s.  That never was a good approach in the cap system and now with the league getting younger, I want 19 to 24 year olds. Not 27 or 28 and certainly not 30 year olds.  

id use our cap space to eat up to $3.5m contracts if it helps get more elite young assets and high draft picks added in.

I like what the rangers did a couple of years ago, but I’d want to get hud that are closer to the NHL versus just draft picks.