Aug. 3, Game 2 - Habs vs Penguins, 8 PM

dlbalr

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

My main complaint about Weise is that Domi is that he makes Domi useless as well. Having Domi play with two guys that can’t score waste his play making ability - which is something a team that can’t score simply cannot afford to do.

I thought Domi was with Weise and Weal to get setup by them and shoot more: to be the trigger of the line

I have suggested before that this series is the perfect opportunity to try Domi on the wing, either in Armia’s spot or better on Drouin’s spot.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Well, at least Price has showed up ready to play for both games so far and just too bad Habs are slightly outgunned up front.

Nice that price didn’t give Hart the cold shoulder that Tom Thomas gave Price.

7 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Suzuki May be able to play the quarterback role. But I’d prefer getting a traditional QB man and not just someone who blast it like Weber.  With both Subban and Weber the other team has always known the shot was coming and is the go to option. When healthy , Markov could thread it in for the tap in, setup someone in the slot, setup the blast or fire it himself.

right now it’s the blast from Weber that is the only chance for scoring.

Agree variety is needed ... I see Suzuki as hopefully filling the Kovalev "half-boards" role which IMO is sort of a co-QB to the "Markov at the point" QB role, but a little more directly offensive as well

43 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I thought Domi was with Weise and Weal to get setup by them and shoot more: to be the trigger of the line

I have suggested before that this series is the perfect opportunity to try Domi on the wing, either in Armia’s spot or better on Drouin’s spot.

Weise a setup man?? The only think he can setup is the chip in and dump in. 

42 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agree variety is needed ... I see Suzuki as hopefully filling the Kovalev "half-boards" role which IMO is sort of a co-QB to the "Markov at the point" QB role, but a little more directly offensive as well

I agree think you need to have a playmaking forward (who is also a scoring threat himself), but at the point you have to have a guy who can control and drive the play.

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Well, we fundamentally disagree on a few things ... the way forward ... whether fans can be honestly negative about their team and what constitutes a troll ... and I doubt we will ever agree on those things.

I have been a Habs fan since Toe Blake's last Cup (68/69) ... I was a "stay positive", "hope for the best" and "always try to win now" guy until about 18-24 months ago ... I then got fed up with mediocrity and lost faith in MB's ability to make the Habs a contender ... when Bergevin traded for Weber it (IMO) the Habs should have been "all-in" mode to try to win a Cup ... but he tinkered and "built through the drat" ... now Price and Weber are 33 and 35 heading into 20/21 and the Habs are still lacking several pieces

As for taking away your enjoyment ... you have chosen to give me and others far too much influence on you ... and you are making your definition of a "troll" VERY personal to you ... IMO a troll comes on a team site with the sole intent to belittle the team and annoy the fan group as a whole ... I am not saying you shouldn't enjoy the wins if you choose (but hope you don't allow losses to distress you) ... I am just expressing my views on what is best for the team as I want them to win a Cup as soon as possible ... as I am absolutely certain you do as well ... I just see moderate short-term success as the least likely way to get to that Cup status.

We can agree to disagree ... but continue to call me a troll and IMO you are just trolling me

I didn’t call you a troll. In my opinion, you are taking things way too personally to you. 

What I am saying is that those who consistently come on a Habs fan board and put down the team and wish for them to lose are nothing more than trolls. You are not the only one with those viewpoints so it is not a direct comment towards you. If you happen to fit into that bracket, so be it. 

The purpose of being a fan is to enjoy watching your team play. If the Habs lose the next two games, they are out and we have to wait until December again. I should be cheering for that because it only hypothetically will make the team better in the future? I am not calling you a troll but I am definitely calling that opinion of fandom ridiculous

When our 9th overall pick develops into nothing more than Jarred Cowan, are we still ecstatic we lost the year before? When we attend a home game, are the fans actually hoping that the team loses after spending money to be entertained? 

You can call it a fan board, but we still are the people who represent the fan base, who attend games, and want the Habs to win now. 

I am not hoping for the best blindly but I am certainly not hoping for the worst.

Our goal is to go as far as we can with what we have. The reason we won’t go all the way is because we were sellers at the deadline. This doesn’t mean it’s impossible. This doesn’t mean we should try to lose. If the Habs are as bad as everyone claims, what you are wishing for will happen naturally. This doesn’t make the negative tankist any smarter than someone who wants the team to win. This just makes the negative tankist more negative, or a troll who likes seeing the reaction of dare I say normal fans who actually want their team to win games.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Exactly ... Chicago and Montreal were included primarily for their TV markets

They were included because it was the only way for a fair end of the season. Teams that were a few points behind deserved a chance to qualify, and the number of teams needed to work. They didn't just wonder how they can squeeze in Montreal and Chicago. I really think the NHL has done an excellent job with everything in the return to play. 

And I agree with whoever brought up Domi. I think we all have been waiting for playoff Domi to emerge but he has been dragged down by his plug line mates. Put him up higher in the line up, punch him in the face or whatever it takes to get him fired up, he is built for the playoffs. 

18 minutes ago, illWill said:

They were included because it was the only way for a fair end of the season. Teams that were a few points behind deserved a chance to qualify, and the number of teams needed to work. They didn't just wonder how they can squeeze in Montreal and Chicago. I really think the NHL has done an excellent job with everything in the return to play. 

And I agree with whoever brought up Domi. I think we all have been waiting for playoff Domi to emerge but he has been dragged down by his plug line mates. Put him up higher in the line up, punch him in the face or whatever it takes to get him fired up, he is built for the playoffs. 

It’s weird because when it was announced that Domi would be cleared to play, it was supposed to be a fairly big deal for him and our team. I didn’t expect him to be a fourth liner.

My thoughts have been conflicting and irrational when it comes to him being on the 4th line. 

My first thought was that perhaps he had been sheltered from the team due to his diabetes and hadn’t practiced with them much. Perhaps they were trying to wait for him to catch up to the rest of the team.

My second thought was that I didn’t mind having 4 lines with offensive players. 

My final thought which I had just now, is that Julien did the same thing with Galchenyuk. There seemed to be more of an uproar then but with comments like yours beginning to sprout, perhaps fans are becoming more impatient with Julien than they realize. 

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That seems to be Drouin's very favourite move in the whole world. "I know...I'll drop it back!! Because that seemed really cool in Junior." ARRRGGGGHHH

A lot of teams do that, not just Drouin.  Most of them execute it better than the Habs though.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

They played mainly the second period and then danault was put back on the line in the third.

Mixing the lines didnt work.

I think domi needs to go to.the wing though.  Not cause hes playing badly, but because we need his offence further up the lineup. Id sit weise.  Bring in evans to centre the 4th. 

Domi - Suzuki - Armia

Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen

Byron - Evans - Weal

Sign me up for those lines.  While I'm a little worried about putting a struggling Drouin with Kotkaniemi who's doing well, I think the Suzuki line would benefit from someone a little more predictable and plays at a higher pace to complement Suzuki.

3 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

What I am saying is that those who consistently come on a Habs fan board and put down the team and wish for them to lose are nothing more than trolls. You are not the only one with those viewpoints so it is not a direct comment towards you. If you happen to fit into that bracket, so be it. 

So anyone who disagrees with you and prefers an alternate means to develop the team rather than just try to win now is a troll ... thanks for the clarification ... and since you described a troll as pretty much exactly what I was saying I think it is fair to say you called me a troll

6 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

You can call it a fan board, but we still are the people who represent the fan base, who attend games, and want the Habs to win now. 

The posters do represent a SEGMENT of the fanbase and while all want the team to win the issue is that "now" means only short-term thinking and no serious long-term planning

10 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I am not hoping for the best blindly but I am certainly not hoping for the worst. 

Our goal is to go as far as we can with what we have.

Neither am I ... IMO the worst is what we have generally lived for 27 years ... (win with what we have, wash/rinse/repeat) ... having a team only able to almost making the playoffs and drafting mid-teens, or losing in the first round and drafting late teens/early-20s ... nowhere near a Cup but nowhere near getting elite players ... the two #3s did not come from tanking, they came from a team playing down to its worst all on its own ... not tanking ... there was no planning involved, targeting the strongest drafts or generational players

18 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

The reason we won’t go all the way is because we were sellers at the deadline. 

Because they traded Thompson, Peca, Cousins, Kovalchuk and Scandella?  

Because they didn't trade picks and prospects for players that rarely if ever take a team deep let alone to a Cup?

28 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

This doesn’t mean we should try to lose.

Never said THIS team should try to lose ... players never will do that ... just that my prefernce is for them to lose ... there is a clear difference unless you don't want to see it.

30 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

This doesn’t make the negative tankist any smarter than someone who wants the team to win. This just makes the negative tankist more negative, or a troll who likes seeing the reaction of dare I say normal fans who actually want their team to win games.

I am sad that you cannot see the distinction between a difference in opinion and my somehow either being a BAD FAN or not a fan

But we will never agree so how about we just leave each other alone on the topics of what is a good fan and what is the right way to build a team

10 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It’s weird because when it was announced that Domi would be cleared to play, it was supposed to be a fairly big deal for him and our team. I didn’t expect him to be a fourth liner.

My thoughts have been conflicting and irrational when it comes to him being on the 4th line. 

My first thought was that perhaps he had been sheltered from the team due to his diabetes and hadn’t practiced with them much. Perhaps they were trying to wait for him to catch up to the rest of the team.

My final thought which I had just now, is that Julien did the same thing with Galchenyuk. There seemed to be more of an uproar then but with comments like yours beginning to sprout, perhaps fans are becoming more impatient with Julien than they realize. 

I also had the same thoughts. That maybe he was behind his team in terms of being in game shape, and then we'll maybe ol' Claude has a plan here. But this is a guy who led the Habs in scoring just one year ago. A guy who has a fire that we haven't seen in quite some time whether it helps or hurts us at any given time. And now he doesn't seem engaged at all, just playing his 4th line role, when he can in fact change the momentum or the outcome of a game. I want pissed off Domi

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

A lot of teams do that, not just Drouin.  Most of them execute it better than the Habs though.

Sign me up for those lines.  While I'm a little worried about putting a struggling Drouin with Kotkaniemi who's doing well, I think the Suzuki line would benefit from someone a little more predictable and plays at a higher pace to complement Suzuki.

I almost put Drouin on the fourth cause I didn't really want to break up the KK line after game 2, debated that for a bit. 

3 minutes ago, illWill said:

I also had the same thoughts. That maybe he was behind his team in terms of being in game shape, and then we'll maybe ol' Claude has a plan here. But this is a guy who led the Habs in scoring just one year ago. A guy who has a fire that we haven't seen in quite some time whether it helps or hurts us at any given time. And now he doesn't seem engaged at all, just playing his 4th line role, when he can in fact change the momentum or the outcome of a game. I want pissed off Domi

I think Domi has played well.  He's been in Crosby's face alot, pissing him off and pushing him around.   He's also made a number of good passes that usually die on Dale Weise's stick, without him even getting a shot off. 

14 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Think the issue with Domi is twofold ... (a) the habs see Suzuki and KK as centres going forward and Danault wasn't going to get moved ... (b) Domi doesn't like playing on the wing (he was clearly unhappy when it happened earlier this season) ... so CJ decided to try to "roll 4 scoring lines" even though Weise and Weal are hardly "scorers"

I hope and expect that Max may be moved up to LW on one of the top three lines ... and Evans brought in to centre the 4th line ... Weise (6:05 5-on-5) seems the logical player to drop but Weal only had 6:03 TOI 5-on-5 and he certainly isn't producing much in his 1:15 of PP time ...

Agree fans are becoming impatient with Julien but in fairness, he can only work wit the resources that Bergevin provides

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think Domi has played well.  He's been in Crosby's face alot, pissing him off and pushing him around.   He's also made a number of good passes that usually die on Dale Weise's stick, without him even getting a shot off. 

I'll take your word for it as I haven't really noticed him one way or the other. But that sort of proves my point, I want to notice Domi. If he is playing well as you say, he should be making passes to guys capable of doing something with them. Whether moving him up the lineup or inserting new players onto his line. And i would much rather him take stupid penalties that get him engaged than all the stupid penalties taken so far by the team. 

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

... I think Domi has played well.  He's been in Crosby's face alot, pissing him off and pushing him around ...

He can have that effect on people ... might be an idea to have Domi out against Crosby more ... he could take Tartar's place, if Danault is to stay on Crosby, or perhaps push Drouin down to KK's line and play Domi-Suzuki-Armia against the Crosby line 

50 minutes ago, illWill said:

I'll take your word for it as I haven't really noticed him one way or the other. But that sort of proves my point, I want to notice Domi. If he is playing well as you say, he should be making passes to guys capable of doing something with them. Whether moving him up the lineup or inserting new players onto his line. And i would much rather him take stupid penalties that get him engaged than all the stupid penalties taken so far by the team. 

He absolutely needs better linemates. 

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

(...) but Weal only had 6:03 TOI 5-on-5 and he certainly isn't producing much in his 1:15 of PP time ...

Then again, neither is anyone else producing on PP! Crosby has the only PP goal in the series so far, does he not?

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Weise a setup man?? The only think he can setup is the chip in and dump in. 

Not a setup guy but a guy getting pucks on the boards and sending them to Domi, like Armia and Lehkonen do but to a lesser degree

but I agree that he needs to play with better line mates ... on the wing 

20 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Then again, neither is anyone else producing on PP! Crosby has the only PP goal in the series so far, does he not?

True, but comment was in the specific context of who would go out if Evans came in.

45 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The pens PP is almost as bad as ours - which almost as much as Price has saved us, given the number and dumb nature of the penalties we’ve taken.

26 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

True, but comment was in the specific context of who would go out if Evans came in.

Yes. But the point is that just because Weal isn't producing on PP doesn't mean he should be sitting in the press box.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Yes. But the point is that just because Weal isn't producing on PP doesn't mean he should be sitting in the press box.

Only suggested that the logical choice ***IF*** Evans comes in seems to be the least used player 5-on-5, namely Weise ... and if not Weise the logical alternative w/b Weal ... didn't mean to offend you

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Only suggested that the logical choice ***IF*** Evans comes in seems to be the least used player 5-on-5, namely Weise ... and if not Weise the logical alternative w/b Weal ... didn't mean to offend you

Not offended at all. And I agree with sitting Weise. Only ... I suspect Julien would never site Weise.