The CBC and Don Cherry

GuyRock70

I've had just about enough of that clown and his employer. I thought that I had heard it all but last night was truly disgusting. My step-son and I were at the game last night. Outside the arena they had a stage set up for entertainment or whatever. About 1/2 hour before the game I hear Grapes grab the mic. After a few stupid remarks, he proceeds to chant "go Leafs go". Repeatedly! You could see the look of utter disgust and dismay on the faces of all the habs fans there. We all know what a homer he is, but that was pathetic. An analyst(I use that term loosely) for a "national" broadcaster chanting for the home team?. What a disgrace. Could you ever imagine John Madden or someone like that getting away with that kind of bullshit?. It is supposed to be "Hockey Night in Canada",not "Hockey Night in Toronto". It's a national broadcast, not a local T.O. show. I almost couldn"t believe my ears. He works for a Crown corporation supported by my tax dollars and yours. There should be some level of professionalism and unbiased coverage for a "national" broadcast. I'm sure that I speak for all fans of teams other than T.O.,not just the Habs. I swear to God I'm never listening to that moron again. The CBC is a joke and does a great disservice to all hockey fans across the nation for letting this a**hole talk to a national audience.:hlogo:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found Don to be quite entertaining last night. And sometimes he even manages to say something astute. But aside from that, he's just fun to watch and listen to, and I like the humour in the broadcast.

I have to side with GuyRock on this one. Don Cherry is supposed to act as a professional when he goes to work for CBC. He does after all make approximately 20 times the salary of the average canadian and we should demand no less from him in non-partial, objective commentary with his usual trademarks thrown in.

It's total garbage but at the same time the french division of CBC doesn't exactly take up for the rest of the canadian teams equally. The only difference being that not as many canadians watch the french channels.

When did the Communist Broadcasting Corporation or Don "The Biggot" Cherry ever have anything good to say about Canada? They both just SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK. Well you get my point they suck. As Homer Simpson of the Carton The Simpsons would say.

They are the biggest bunch of suckiest sucks that ever sucked! (Or someting like this)

Speaking of sucked, Allison the toronto savior that was thrown in my face by brothers and other leaf fan friends just sucked last night. He Sucks!

Well, I dont want to throw any more comments like this in my post or you might get the impression I think Leaf fans, Don cherry, leaf media and CBC all suck. That would be rather rude of me would it not?

Oh come on...your going to stop at Don Cherry? Bob Cole and Harry Neale are just as bad. Their commentating is so biased it makes me sick.

But what else do you expect when for the majority of Ontario, you only get the Leaf broadcast?

The entired CBC is a joke and for more reasons than just hockey, but since most of us have no other option on a Saturday night, we have no other choice.

When his voice cracked it was hilarious!!! He got so excited about visors!

"I never sai-eeeeeeeeeeeeed that you shouldn't WEAR visors! Ehem."

Also, ghe always cuts off that MacLean guy next to him. And then he gives him a dirty look. You can tell he's trying to hold in his laughter when he turns his head away from Cherry and looks at the ground.

Originally posted by kaos

Oh come on...your going to stop at Don Cherry? Bob Cole and Harry Neale are just as bad. Their commentating is so biased it makes me sick.

But what else do you expect when for the majority of Ontario, you only get the Leaf broadcast?

The entired CBC is a joke and for more reasons than just hockey, but since most of us have no other option on a Saturday night, we have no other choice.

But then again, RDS is atleats as biased as CBC. Our excuse is that pretty much only Habs fans watch RDS so it doesn't matter as much.

Cherry has been a joke for years, I don't know why all of a sudden it's an issue.

I tried giving the CBC the benefit of the doubt for years but I cannot anymore. You can gimme this "Well he brings in money for the channe" until the cows come home but I ain't gonna by it.

First off, Cherry admits to being a bigot. Infact he's proud of it. He also is slags on Canada all the time. He slags all over his employer and laughs in the face of te taxpayers who pay his salary. The CBC should be more interested in providing fair and balanced entartainment for the people of Canada. I watch alot of different sports from American broadcasters and they never fall all over a team like the CBC does with Toronto. The fact some idiots in Toronto like to listen to Cherry gloat over their crap-ass team, doesn't mean the rest of us in Canada should have to put up with it. I'm tired of the CBC and Cherry-defenders always crying about the money as the bottom line. The CBC should get some morals and principals and stop allowing their broadcasters to slag all over the country.

As someone who lives just outside of TO and who's exposed to the Toronto media, it may come as a shock to them but they're not the centre of the universe. I'm proud to be from this part of the country but the people of Toronto give all of us a bad name.

If the CBC was a private organzation, great, knock yourself out. But they're not. They're a publically funded channel. They should be 100% unbias. It's a national disgrace that they allow Don Cherry and the rest of the broadcasters to slap Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary right in the face all in the name of kneeling to Toronto.

[Edited on 2005/10/9 by Leafs Suck]

Originally posted by kaos

Well I have no access to RDS so I cannot comment on that.

But I have question. Is RDS publicly funded?

No idea. But it is obviously biased towards Montreal. But it's French so people from Toronto wouldn't watch it. Or atleast not listen to it. Like they would understand it anyway. PLUS, people from outside Quebec don't get it so they don't hear us being biased. They jam right into our intermissions.

Thanks Simonus

Since RDS is a private channel I have no problem with them being biased towards a certain team. My tax dollars are not supporting them, and I have the right not too support them, unlike the CBC.

i see that... but the logical next step is to point out that SRC, which is the french equivilant to CBC, is a bit Montreal biased as well... although both SRC and RDS habe some degree of love for OTT...

RDS is a private company I believe. While catering to French Canada mostly Quebec, I can see them being Montreal Biased. They carry the Montreal CFL team too which is why I subscribe to it. My French is bad so this is also an educational tool for me to force feed the French language into my vocabulary. This fall I am even signing up for French classes to better understand the Quebec community broadcasts.

CBC on the other hand comes out of our pockets and generates no wealth. If they had to go on their own, they would be bankrupt within a week without Canada bailout. Since my money goes into this corporation it should be publicly traded so we can have a proxy vote on how the company is run. I would expect each Canadian that pays/paid taxes gets shares in the corporation. Once publically traded we could end the misuse of the company and insist it be profitable.

Conservative and Liberal parties will never get rid of this propaganda station as it works in their interest while they are in power.

Not even Leaf Fans and Leaf media gets me as mad as I do about the CBC money pit.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Cherry has been a joke for years, I don't know why all of a sudden it's an issue.

I agree that Cherry has been a joke for a long time, but what happened last night was absolutely sickening. He was on a stage outside of a NHL venue chanting "go Leafs go"!!!!. Granted, it won't keep me up at night, but I just wanted to let you fella's know how pathetic it was.:hlogo:

Originally posted by simonus

i'm glad he's a leafs fan... He's the Archie Bunker of hockey... except he's not likeable. If Grapes says it, it's probably wrong.

All in the Family? Hmm tryna outdate me are you?

Anyway, I don't take him seriously; he's good entertainment. And I love (making fun of) his suits and ties.

Originally posted by The-Habby2919

I found Cherrys voice to be kinda squeeky last night.

Hopefully he's dying...

ohh, that's terrible... I agree with GuyRock, Cherry's brutal, but I've given up this fight, he gets worse every year.

Cherry won't be around much longer (and not because he's sick, that's just a bad joke), CBC have there issues with him, they're well documented.

Plus, did anyone else catch his picks for the awards this year:

Stanley Cup - Ottawa (with Hasek being the difference)

Calder - Bochenski

Hart - Chara

Norris - Chara

R Richard - Heatley

Art Ross - Spezza

He raved about the toughness Ottawa now posses in McGratton, Neil, Vrada etc... even Leafs fans will be sick of him sson enough as well... I don't think there has ever been a more profound bandwagon hop in the history of the sport...

My advice to all those who are offended... sit back and enjoy the show, it ain't gonna be around much longer...

Go Sens Go, haha...

Originally posted by simonus

Hasek doesn't get the vezina?

what about alfredsson for conn smythe?

Don Cherry for the Adams?

Don Cherry gets the Adam's...... Apple and then maybe his voice won't squeak so much.:P

Personally, I find Harry Neal and Bob Cole to be much more offensive than Cherry. At least Cherry says funny things now and then, and he seems to also realize that the lafs are going nowhere this year. Cole doesn't even know the names of opposing teams players, unforgivable for a play by play guy doing national games. He didn't seem to know who Higgens or Ribero were, and he probably couldn't care less. Neal is a total idiot, his comments are usually totally biased towards the leafs.

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

CBC on the other hand comes out of our pockets and generates no wealth. If they had to go on their own, they would be bankrupt within a week without Canada bailout. Since my money goes into this corporation it should be publicly traded so we can have a proxy vote on how the company is run. I would expect each Canadian that pays/paid taxes gets shares in the corporation. Once publically traded we could end the misuse of the company and insist it be profitable.

Not even Leaf Fans and Leaf media gets me as mad as I do about the CBC money pit.

While it is true that the CBC loses money, Hockey Night in Canada is very profitable and a not insignificant amount of this profit can be traced directly to Don Cherry. Many people only watch the first intermission - they don't even bother to watch most games. This is the reason Cherry is still on the air and why he is paid a large salary. If you want the CBC to be run like a corporation, you can't really complain that they put Cherry on the air. Similarly, if you feel the CBC is a "money pit", you can't complain about Cherry; he is reducing the overall cost of the CBC.