The CBC and Don Cherry

GuyRock70

Originally posted by Peter Puck
Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

CBC on the other hand comes out of our pockets and generates no wealth. If they had to go on their own, they would be bankrupt within a week without Canada bailout. Since my money goes into this corporation it should be publicly traded so we can have a proxy vote on how the company is run. I would expect each Canadian that pays/paid taxes gets shares in the corporation. Once publically traded we could end the misuse of the company and insist it be profitable.

Not even Leaf Fans and Leaf media gets me as mad as I do about the CBC money pit.

While it is true that the CBC loses money, Hockey Night in Canada is very profitable and a not insignificant amount of this profit can be traced directly to Don Cherry. Many people only watch the first intermission - they don't even bother to watch most games. This is the reason Cherry is still on the air and why he is paid a large salary. If you want the CBC to be run like a corporation, you can't really complain that they put Cherry on the air. Similarly, if you feel the CBC is a "money pit", you can't complain about Cherry; he is reducing the overall cost of the CBC.

Hi Peter Puck,

I had written this in an older post and pasted it here again. Seems like we have to rehash the CBC flaw. I can complain and so should you because we do not get value for our money. How much CBC do you watch per month and is it good value for your tax dollar.

I know not everyone here will agree on the value of the CBC, I just get annoyed at the polital hacks that get appointed to run CBC and bring in their own crooks as execs. They extort our money out of our pockets and force don cherry, and hockey night in Toronto on us and say they are supporting Canada. NHL does not make the CBC profitable. (See Post Below)

Not saying you are wrong to like the CBC, but the facts are the CBC cannot make money and gets heavy subsities. Also keep in mind that it is the same "Hacks" that say HNIC and Don Cherry is profitable. How much are the subsities to run the show and the endless CBC advertising for hockey?

Previously Posted Before:

How deep in our pockets do the government agencies go to take our money and produce crap on this station, like the Maple Leaf Hockey team? Here's what happens (It shocked me)

An hour of premium canadian programming costs $1million.

Canadian broadcasers pay licence fee of $200,000-$250,000 per hour while taking in $65,000-$95,000 dollars. In the French Canadian market it is 5 times more expensive to produce Canadian content then to import and translate American programming.

Canadian producers recover their costs through (Your tax dollars in Large Letters) PUBLIC SUBSITIES and foreign sales. Up to 60% comes from public sources like broadcast fees, the CANADIAN TELEVISION FUND, TAX CREDITS, PROVINCIAL FILM COMMISIONS, and CRTC mandated private funds.

Now that my tax dollars are used on a channel that I do not watch, I have to PAY to get RDS in my home town in order to watch the most glorius hockey team ever created.

Hey I had to back up my point in the CBC flaw. This stuff is all available on http://www.cbc.radio-canada.ca

Open the markets, forget provincial blackouts and dump CBC.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Peter Puck

CBC on the other hand comes out of our pockets and generates no wealth. If they had to go on their own, they would be bankrupt within a week without Canada bailout. Since my money goes into this corporation it should be publicly traded so we can have a proxy vote on how the company is run. I would expect each Canadian that pays/paid taxes gets shares in the corporation. Once publically traded we could end the misuse of the company and insist it be profitable.

Not even Leaf Fans and Leaf media gets me as mad as I do about the CBC money pit.

While it is true that the CBC loses money, Hockey Night in Canada is very profitable and a not insignificant amount of this profit can be traced directly to Don Cherry. Many people only watch the first intermission - they don't even bother to watch most games. This is the reason Cherry is still on the air and why he is paid a large salary. If you want the CBC to be run like a corporation, you can't really complain that they put Cherry on the air. Similarly, if you feel the CBC is a "money pit", you can't complain about Cherry; he is reducing the overall cost of the CBC.

Hi Peter Puck,

I had written this in an older post and pasted it here again. Seems like we have to rehash the CBC flaw. I can complain and so should you because we do not get value for our money. How much CBC do you watch per month and is it good value for your tax dollar.

I know not everyone here will agree on the value of the CBC, I just get annoyed at the polital hacks that get appointed to run CBC and bring in their own crooks as execs. They extort our money out of our pockets and force don cherry, and hockey night in Toronto on us and say they are supporting Canada. NHL does not make the CBC profitable. (See Post Below)

Not saying you are wrong to like the CBC, but the facts are the CBC cannot make money and gets heavy subsities. Also keep in mind that it is the same "Hacks" that say HNIC and Don Cherry is profitable. How much are the subsities to run the show and the endless CBC advertising for hockey?

Previously Posted Before:

How deep in our pockets do the government agencies go to take our money and produce crap on this station, like the Maple Leaf Hockey team? Here's what happens (It shocked me)

An hour of premium canadian programming costs $1million.

Canadian broadcasers pay licence fee of $200,000-$250,000 per hour while taking in $65,000-$95,000 dollars. In the French Canadian market it is 5 times more expensive to produce Canadian content then to import and translate American programming.

Canadian producers recover their costs through (Your tax dollars in Large Letters) PUBLIC SUBSITIES and foreign sales. Up to 60% comes from public sources like broadcast fees, the CANADIAN TELEVISION FUND, TAX CREDITS, PROVINCIAL FILM COMMISIONS, and CRTC mandated private funds.

Now that my tax dollars are used on a channel that I do not watch, I have to PAY to get RDS in my home town in order to watch the most glorius hockey team ever created.

Hey I had to back up my point in the CBC flaw. This stuff is all available on http://www.cbc.radio-canada.ca

Open the markets, forget provincial blackouts and dump CBC.

Hi Howie,

I love your new avitar.

Regarding the CBC, everyone has his own opinion. Note that you cannot expect to get your tax money worth on everything the government spends money on. I agree that you are forced to pay taxes some of which go to the CBC. Remember though that some people have no cars and they pay taxes for highway construction, some people don't want a military and they pay taxes which support our armed forces, the government subsidizes many businesses whose products I don't buy, the govenment is giving children immunization shots and I have no kids, etc.

I really wanted to just comment on your HNIC and Don Cherry remarks. The fact remains that HNIC is very profitable - HNIC like all live sports is much cheaper to produce then most other programs. HNIC takes in a great deal of money in advertising revenue, especially during the playoff season. Without hockey last year the CBC took in considerably less money last year. I also think it is indisputable that Coach's Corner is a big draw and one of the reasons HNIC attracts so many advertisers. Perhaps this buffoon should not be on the air, but if this is so, it is not for financial reasons.

[edit for grammar]

[Edited on 2005/10/10 by Peter Puck]

i see that... but the logical next step is to point out that SRC, which is the french equivilant to CBC, is a bit Montreal biased as well... although both SRC and RDS habe some degree of love for OTT...

I think the love for ottawa has to do with Gatineau and western quebec being senator fans. On Cherry, he is an idiot, remember they used to put a delay on the broadcast, not for player obscenties but because they didnt know what the heck was going to come out of Cherry's mouth. CBC just needs an overhaul on their broadcast when Cherry gets fired or dies or retires. They need more professionalism in the broadcast. They need to find the bob costas and howard cossell of hockey. There out their somewhere. My local teams broadcast team for example has bernie federko on it he's pretty good but not ready for primetime. But anyway I think the next people they put into the booth should not try to be don cherry copy cats. And for godsakes learn the names of the teams players. When I want to watch a hockey night in canada game I want to see a professional broadcast not something produced by high schoolers.

Originally posted by Pierre the Great

i see that... but the logical next step is to point out that SRC, which is the french equivilant to CBC, is a bit Montreal biased as well... although both SRC and RDS habe some degree of love for OTT...  

I think the love for ottawa has to do with Gatineau and western quebec being senator fans.  On Cherry, he is an idiot, remember they used to put a delay on the broadcast, not for player obscenties but because they didnt know what the heck was going to come out of Cherry's mouth.  CBC just needs an overhaul on their broadcast when Cherry gets fired or dies or retires. They need more professionalism in the broadcast.  They need to find the bob costas and howard cossell of hockey.  There out their somewhere.  My local teams broadcast team for example has bernie federko on it he's pretty good but not ready for primetime. But anyway I think the next people they put into the booth should not try to be don cherry copy cats.  And for godsakes learn the names of the teams players.  When I want to watch a hockey night in canada game I want to see a professional broadcast not something produced by high schoolers.

I agree with this 100%

Originally posted by Pierre the Great

I think the love for ottawa has to do with Gatineau and western quebec being senator fans.  On Cherry, he is an idiot, remember they used to put a delay on the broadcast, not for player obscenties but because they didnt know what the heck was going to come out of Cherry's mouth.  CBC just needs an overhaul on their broadcast when Cherry gets fired or dies or retires. They need more professionalism in the broadcast.  They need to find the bob costas and howard cossell of hockey.  There out their somewhere.  My local teams broadcast team for example has bernie federko on it he's pretty good but not ready for primetime. But anyway I think the next people they put into the booth should not try to be don cherry copy cats.  And for godsakes learn the names of the teams players.  When I want to watch a hockey night in canada game I want to see a professional broadcast not something produced by high schoolers.

:clap::clap::clap:

Very nicely said.

It would be a good thing for HNIC to represent all Canada.

Don Cherry being an unabashed Leafs fan(he was wearing a tie with the Leafs logos all over it saturday night for chrissake) is the least of his offences as a tax-payer funded CBC "professional" broadcaster. And actually as a loud-mouthed moron I think he represents the average Leafs fan pretty well.

But what really offends me about him are his views on European players and French-Canadian players and visor-wearing players... the list goes on and on.

Give me Kelly Rhudey's well-thought -out hockey analysis over Cherry's ######ed rants any day, even if I don't always agree with Rhudey at least he keeps it about hockey, and not small-minded opinions.

Originally posted by habmanonthepacific

Don Cherry being an unabashed Leafs fan(he was wearing a tie with the Leafs logos all over it saturday night for chrissake) is the least of his offences as a tax-payer funded CBC "professional" broadcaster. And actually as a loud-mouthed moron I think he represents the average Leafs fan pretty well.

But what really offends me about him are his views on European players and French-Canadian players and visor-wearing players... the list goes on and on.

Give me Kelly Rhudey's well-thought -out hockey analysis over Cherry's ######ed rants any day, even if I don't always agree with Rhudey at least he keeps it about hockey, and not small-minded opinions.

habmanonthepacific you nailed down the "DON". He works the screen to the lowest common denominator, the over-paying Leaf fan and they buy his garbage. I am glad I have many Toronto friends (not neccessarily Leaf fans) that do not buy into what this guy is selling.

I like Montreal being a bit Euro as the mix with players from other countries is fun to watch. I don't think it matters what country you are from or if you wear a visor to have the true heart of a champion. You guys have probably seen me talk about Saku a billion times and I cannot state how I admire the man. Tough, Fast, Skilled and one of the most hardworking players on the team.

If the "DON" had a goalie like French Canadian Jose, he might have had many championships. Alas he is just another big mouth on TV.

Lots of great posts in here.

cherry is an avowed bigot and an even bigger leaf fan. Some have mentioned that he is the best example for the leaf lemmings. This is 100% correct. Along with his puppet ron mclame, cherry loves offending anyone/anything non-leaf. He caters to morons and by the looks of things there's lots to be had at the CotU. Take his racist rants and leaf bile with a huge grain of salt. The cbc could care less about true and knowledgeable hockey fans. They are a leaf station first and foremost, no matter who pays them their salaries. I've spent years pleading with cbc execs to show some fairness. Like i said, they don't and never wil show any class, professionalism or integrity. They are like the leaf, old, useless, hated, broken, gutless, money-grubbing, hateful and worst of all mindless. The Habs major improvements, the Senators success and the great hockey we see coming from out in Western Canada will keep us real fans happy whilst the cbc and its blowjobbers will seeth in anger and despair. Satan is at work here kids, don't let him burn you.

:hlogo:The guys a joke and a loser. After all he coached a loser in Boston for years and now cheers for a loser in Toronto. He always goes on Canadian this and Canadian that, but as far as i can tell he cheers for any them ahead of the Canadiens. But I guess after having his ass kicked for so many years by them while coaching the Bruins, he's happy to see anyone beat them. I still watch the idiot, he's good for a laugh and Ron keeps him in his place.

Originally posted by ~moeman

They are like the leaf, old, useless, hated, broken, gutless, money-grubbing, hateful and worst of all mindless...will keep us real fans happy whilst the cbc and its blowjobbers will seeth in anger and despair. Satan is at work here kids, don't let him burn you.

what the hell is wrong with you? this is way way over the top! people talk about beckham being racist and people making rude ramarks, but in my opinion this is just as bad.

Originally posted by Mark Napier

Come on this is Don Cherry you're talkin' about here.  Did you really expect him to be impartial?  Everybody knows that he's pretty much a joke and what to expect from him.  He's just there for shock value and entertainment, not to be taken seriously.

I fully agree with you, Mark. He's there as eye, ear and brain candy. A big rush but not a whole lot good value to it.

I just sit there and laugh (not in a deprecating way) but just enjoying what he's saying.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Originally posted by Trizzak

I found Don to be quite entertaining last night. And sometimes he even manages to say something astute. But aside from that, he's just fun to watch and listen to, and I like the humour in the broadcast.

Amen to that, Trizzak. Lots of fun... entertainment

Originally posted by The-Habby2919

I found Cherrys voice to be kinda squeeky last night.

He's not a young man anymore. It shows.

Don Cherry is not a Canadian!

His Canada doesn't include French Canadians so it doesn't exist and therefore he is a patriot of nothing. I always thought his views are American, the team he coached and cheers for is even American. Toronto is his bread and butter, but Boston is where his heart is. He likes to praise the British lording up his imperial ties to English culture, but he lacks the class of that country to be considered any part of it.

He's an American redneck, personnifying the worst of a country he doesn't even belong to and Torontonians eat it up because they're not so different. I would say he's old and will be gone soon, but there are more redneck Torontonians to take his place. For Leaf fans the battle between Habs/Leafs is French vs English more so than for Habs fans. How many French Canadians cheer for the Leafs? And look how many English Habs fans there are.

The problem is that Toronto is completely isolated from French Canada and American influence is very strong. Its a big problem for Canada. Rednecks there are afraid of making fun of Chinese, Russians or Pakistanis because those people are neighbours and the community wouldn't stand for it. Insult the French and nothing happens.

Originally posted by kaos

Well I have no access to RDS so I cannot comment on that.

But I have question.  Is RDS publicly funded?

RDS is the French branch of TSN.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Cherry has been a joke for years, I don't know why all of a sudden it's an issue.  

I tried giving the CBC the benefit of the doubt for years but I cannot anymore. You can gimme this "Well he brings in money for the channe" until the cows come home but I ain't gonna by it.

First off, Cherry admits to being a bigot. Infact he's proud of it. He also is slags on Canada all the time. He slags all over his employer and laughs in the face of te taxpayers who pay his salary. The CBC should be more interested in providing fair and balanced entartainment for the people of Canada. I watch alot of different sports from American broadcasters and they never fall all over a team like the CBC does with Toronto. The fact some idiots in Toronto like to listen to Cherry gloat over their crap-ass team, doesn't mean the rest of us in Canada should have to put up with it. I'm tired of the CBC and Cherry-defenders always crying about the money as the bottom line. The CBC should get some morals and principals and stop allowing their broadcasters to slag all over the country.  

As someone who lives just outside of TO and who's exposed to the Toronto media, it may come as a shock to them but they're not the centre of the universe. I'm proud to be from this part of the country but the people of Toronto give all of us a bad name.  

If the CBC was a private organzation, great, knock  yourself out. But they're not. They're a publically funded channel. They should be 100% unbias. It's a national disgrace that they allow Don Cherry and the rest of the broadcasters to slap Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary right in the face all in the name of kneeling to Toronto.

[Edited on 2005/10/9 by Leafs Suck]

The interesting thing about him, joke or not, when the CBC was in the process of having him dumped a couple of years ago, the public outcry was quite strong. It wasn't as strong as when the CBC was in the process of dumping Ron Maclean but it was very much there.

"The interesting thing about him, joke or not, when the CBC was in the process of having him dumped a couple of years ago, the public outcry was quite strong. It wasn't as strong as when the CBC was in the process of dumping Ron Maclean but it was very much there. "

I once got really angry at some people making anti-French remarks in Toronto. This was at the Uof T where people should know better. They were amazed that their attitudes were considered racist or prejudiced. They really didn't like it when I called them ignorant rednecks. The Toronto crowd has been so anti-French for so many generations that it is almost a cultural thing for them. They don't even examine it, many of them are even very politically correct when dealing in other issues of racism by colour, feminism, environmentalism etc. They're just not in touch with Canada.

In this light Don Cherry represents them very well and they will defend him as one of their own because he is. The Toronto non-hockey fans might be quicker to be offended by him, but their views are dismissed as outsiders of hockey

[Edited on 2005/10/10 by Lister100]

Originally posted by les_glorieux
Originally posted by ~moeman

They are like the leaf, old, useless, hated, broken, gutless, money-grubbing, hateful and worst of all mindless...will keep us real fans happy whilst the cbc and its blowjobbers will seeth in anger and despair. Satan is at work here kids, don't let him burn you.

what the hell is wrong with you? this is way way over the top! people talk about beckham being racist and people making rude ramarks, but in my opinion this is just as bad.

I agree with you. Thank you for mentioning this, glorieux.

shortcat1, glad to see you back. Hope you had a fabulous weekend.

In fact Happy Thanksgiving Canada.

In time CBC will see the errors of their ways when fan base drops with the leaf losses. I know the flock supports Toronto Maple Leafs, but there are many bandwagon fans who will drop out of sight. And if the fan base drops I will be the first to remind their sponsors that they should be supporting the greatest team in hockey history. :hlogo:

Originally posted by shortcat1

Come on this is Don Cherry you're talkin' about here.  Did you really expect him to be impartial?  Everybody knows that he's pretty much a joke and what to expect from him.  He's just there for shock value and entertainment, not to be taken seriously.

I fully agree with you, Mark. He's there as eye, ear and brain candy. A big rush but not a whole lot good value to it.

I just sit there and laugh (not in a deprecating way) but just enjoying what he's saying.

would you guysbe as willing to laugh it off if he made derogatory comments about visible-minority players or jewish players? If you are then you also are racists just like Cherry... bigotry is no laughing matter, even if it is about french-Canadians.

shortcat1, glad to see you back.  Hope you had a fabulous weekend.  

In fact Happy Thanksgiving Canada.

In time CBC will see the errors of their ways when fan base drops with the leaf losses.  I know the flock supports Toronto Maple Leafs, but there are many bandwagon fans who will drop out of sight.  And if the fan base drops I will be the first to remind their sponsors that they should be supporting the greatest team in hockey history.  :hlogo:

Thanks Howie. Yes, it was a good weekend. Visiting my parents and siblings was (and always is) good. God is good - well beyond my deserving. :)

would you guysbe as willing to laugh it off if he made derogatory comments about visible-minority players or jewish players? If you are then you also are racists just like Cherry... bigotry is no laughing matter, even if it is about french-Canadians.

Well I am usually laughing at him not with him if you get my drift. He's just like a car wreck; kind of revolting but hard to look away from.

Well I am usually laughing at him not with him if you get my drift. He's just like a car wreck; kind of revolting but hard to look away from.

Listen, first of all, I don't find his comments about French-Canadiens derogatory, I find them foolish. Second, I'm a French-Canadien from both sides of the family, as far as the trees can be searched.

I doubt that he'd say derogatory comments about Jewish players. That would certainly put him in deep caca! He can't be that stupid.

(Angels 5 - Yankees 2 YEAH!!!)