Longest Division Playoff Game

simonus

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

yes shortcat1 yankees lose but the Angels have to go to Chicago now to play a foe that is very very very tough to beat.  Bosox and Yankees both gone.  hahahahahahahahaha keep wasting that money like the NHL Rangers and Leafs used to do...

[Edited on 2005/10/11 by Howie_Morenz]

Howie, after the Yankees are gone (Atlanta too and Boston too...), I'm not really concerned as to who will win the World Series.

I suppose my sentimental favourites are the White Sox. It's about time that Shoeless Joe Jackson related incident gets relegated to the past. It's the same idea with the 'Bambino's curse' for the Red Sox. It would be cool if both of those dark clouds would be blown away in subsequent years.

So, why not... GO WHITE SOX!

yes shortcat1 yankees lose but the Angels have to go to Chicago now to play a foe that is very very very tough to beat.  Bosox and Yankees both gone.  hahahahahahahahaha keep wasting that money like the NHL Rangers and Leafs used to do...

[Edited on 2005/10/11 by Howie_Morenz]

Renteria should be shot. But still, theres a 70 mil difference between the Yanks and Sox so you can't really include the Bo Sox in there.

this year:

Cabrera .257 .309 .365 .674

Renteria .276 .335 .385 .721

Both guys were a bit off their career marks, but actually they were about equally off their game (statistically). Now, 45 pts on the OPS is significantly.

Historically, renteria and cabrera are about the same defensively... After this aberant year, I thnk that their numbers will be similar next year as well.

with Renteria you get a guy with 40-70+OPS and more power (last three years OCab is averaging ~6hrs, Renteria ~10. And the price difference is not that big (~2,000,000). In sports especially, you always get diminishing returns for money spent, which is why the yankees can lose games to the devil rays, but there is a qualitative difference between the two players.

I like OCab a lot, and would have been happy if he stayed in Boston, but we needed a guy who could fill that #2 hole, and OCab is more of a #7 guy.

[Edited on 10/12/2005 by simonus]

simonus, you seem well versed in sports.  Do you get into College Basketball or college football?  I love both sports, UNLV fan from way back with BBall and Miami hurricanes in football.

Hurricanes? Booooooo

It's all about the Gators in that state:P

Leak to Jackson! Touchdown!

simonus, you seem well versed in sports.  Do you get into College Basketball or college football?  I love both sports, UNLV fan from way back with BBall and Miami hurricanes in football.

thanks you very much. i follow hockey and baseball almost exclusively. I also like watching football. Definitely watch world cup soccer and both olympics. When I'm drunk I might catch a bonspiel :)

I've started getting into IU college football. The team is fun to watch this year. Talk to me in a few months, maybe I'll be a hoosier basketball fan.

Originally posted by jetsniper

Hurricanes? Booooooo

It's all about the Gators in that state:P

Leak to Jackson! Touchdown!

Didn't I see Leak get killed on a play last week? Gators are my second team when Miami is not doing so well. Its cool having the Sports package I get to see most of the Florida games. Got my Florida Hat, Jersey when they are playing. My Miami stuff is worn out and has to be replaced.

Now lets see I hope you would have a Joe Sakic jersey right? That would be my personal Colorado pick....

Back on topic, I hope LAA takes Chicago to one of those 18 inning games. I would laugh my head off!

Originally posted by simonus

as a game goes farther into extra innings i think chicago's advantage increases.  Look at chicago's deep bulpen.  Also, great ability to manufacture runs.

This is true. Plus they are rested which has to be an advantage. LAA of A or however you are supposed to call them are an interesting team. 3 cities played in three nights and they pull off 2 wins. Must be the Gatoraide they are drinking....

[Edited on 2005/10/12 by Howie_Morenz]