Aug 5 - Game 3 Habs v.s. Pens - 8 PM

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Unlike Button - sucked as a GM, but is a great broadcaster. I don’t know why were stuck with those Sportsnet morons 

- other than Friedman they are all useless.  You would have thought the  NHL   would have taken into consideration.  On TSN, the only guy I don’t like is the old Sportsnet guy Dreger.  Used to hate Duthie from his monkey Shtick days, but he’s grown on me and even he’s way better than the Sportsnet panel.

Well I have to say this play in could not have worked out better for us. Worst case now is lose in 5 and pick 9th. The truth is right now they are showing we are a better team than people thought. Folks, the drive is alive. Anything can happen in the playoffs and I don't think there is a team watching this saying, "I hope we get to face Price and the Habs next".  Really want to see Hudon or Poehling on the 4th over Waste (I think I spelled that right). Give Domi a fighting chance.

Great game.Keep it going! 17 more wins would be quite the fun run!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Nice to dream, but let’s keep in mind the Pens PP is bad - not as bad as ours, but it’s bad.  With Suzuki and KK stepping up AND getting bumped up in the lineup, I like our forwards over What we had pre-COVID or in Marvel terms - pre-blip.  

whwre we haven’t improved is the D - it is still pretty bad and I can’t seeing it being good enough in the next round - only so much that Price can do.

Just smile, was a sweet comeback win.

Thats 2 more wins than i thought would have.

BlackHawks are following the Habs lead...would love to see both upsets happen.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Why would you cheer for the Hawks, who deserve an extended spell in the doldrums after all those fat-cat years, over EDM, an even more sad-sack franchise than the Montreal Canadiens?

As for this bunch: I don't think anyone seriously imagines us winning it all, even if Price continues to play like Grade-A Patrick Roy. Commandant suggested that "2010 is possible." That was a shrewd remark. I agree, a Cinderella run is possible, and we should enjoy every moment of it (if it happens) while it lasts. It's indeed true that management may then proceed to bask in it as an excuse to avoid upgrading the team...but that's a worry for another day.

Despite the caricature around here of me as a non-stop Gloomy Gus, I always said that this group, when healthy and energized, is - like any bubble team - capable of playing good hockey. We saw that in the first 20 games of this season. In today's NHL, what separates bubble teams from the heavy-duty clubs is more the ability to succeed even when depleted, and to pull ahead over the long grind of a meat-grinder 82-game season and marathon playoff. A 5-game "play-in" round when everyone had had three months off to get healthy was always the best-case scenario for an upset by these Habs. Kudos to the players for putting themselves in a position where it's a real possibility.

On another note: it's interesting that the Penguins were one of the teams that publicly objected to the format. On a subtle level, this may have planted a seed of defeat, because it gave the players a built-in excuse to lose. Dryden maintained that that was one of the Bruins' problems under Sinden - by always complaining that the Habs got the breaks and the calls, he gave his team an "out" which made defeat more likely. I wonder if the same dynamic is unfolding for PITS here?

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Why would you cheer for the Hawks, who deserve an extended spell in the doldrums after all those fat-cat years, over EDM, an even more sad-sack franchise than the Montreal Canadiens?

As for this bunch: I don't think anyone seriously imagines us winning it all, even if Price continues to play like Grade-A Patrick Roy. Commandant suggested that "2010 is possible." That was a shrewd remark. I agree, a Cinderella run is possible, and we should enjoy every moment of it (if it happens) while it lasts. It's indeed true that management may then proceed to bask in it as an excuse to avoid upgrading the team...but that's a worry for another day.

Despite the caricature around here of me as a non-stop Gloomy Gus, I always said that this group, when healthy and energized, is - like any bubble team - capable of playing good hockey. We saw that in the first 20 games of this season. In today's NHL, what separates bubble teams from the heavy-duty clubs is more the ability to succeed even when depleted, and to pull ahead over the long grind of a meat-grinder 82-game season and marathon playoff. A 5-game "play-in" round when everyone had had three months off to get healthy was always the best-case scenario for an upset by these Habs. Kudos to the players for putting themselves in a position where it's a real possibility.

On another note: it's interesting that the Penguins were one of the teams that publicly objected to the format. On a subtle level, this may have planted a seed of defeat, because it gave the players a built-in excuse to lose. Dryden maintained that that was one of the Bruins' problems under Sinden - by always complaining that the Habs got the breaks and the calls, he gave his team an "out" which made defeat more likely. I wonder if the same dynamic is unfolding for PITS here?

It’s all about perspective. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been at the head of the line when it comes to discussing our lack of cap space use, and lacklustre off seasons. 

With that being said, it’s entirely possible that a good run pushes the organization into buy mode and sign mode, rather than using a good run as an excuse to stand pat. I know the rebuttle will be that anyone who thinks MB will change is brainwashed, but it has nothing to do with that for me. Regardless of his past, what I said is still entirely possible. 

Speaking of the Habs and long runs, the next game will certainly be the toughest. Should Pittsburgh win, the odds will be back in their favour.

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Why would you cheer for the Hawks, who deserve an extended spell in the doldrums after all those fat-cat years, over EDM, an even more sad-sack franchise than the Montreal Canadiens? ...

I am hoping Edmonton wins just because it would <annoy> me to see them get a 5th first-overall pick in the last 11 drafts (7th top three, 10th top 10, pick in that time) ... the three #1s in a row (10/11/12) were IMO embarrassing

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I am hoping Edmonton wins just because it would <annoy> me to see them get a 5th first-overall pick in the last 11 drafts (7th top three, 10th top 10, pick in that time) ... the three #1s in a row (10/11/12) were IMO embarrassing

Plus our Chicago second round pick is slightly better at 40, compared to likely 47th or 48th if Chicago wins.

But your reasons much the same reason I want the Leafs to win their series. I do not want them anywhere near the 1st overall pick.

2 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

Plus our Chicago second round pick is slightly better at 40, compared to likely 47th or 48th if Chicago wins.

But your reasons much the same reason I want the Leafs to win their series. I do not want them anywhere near the 1st overall pick

Laffs?   #1 pick?

image.png

8 hours ago, DON said:

I don't think the Hawks beating the Oilers would be a huge upset.  Also I want the Oilers to win so the Hawks pick in the 2nd round is higher.  As a Habs fan why would you want Chicago to win?

On 8/5/2020 at 9:07 PM, dlbalr said:

I rarely write an article for the sole purpose of complaining about a player being in the lineup.  I'm in the process of writing one about Weise now and if I can put something semi-professional together that doesn't come off as ranting and raving (and my initial thoughts are certainly along those lines), I'll post it on the site tomorrow.

Nice write up... fair and to the point. My thoughts pretty much portrayed through another.  I dont want to offend the player but CJ has to realize this is not the playoff Weise of yester-year. His reasoning to scratch Weal over Weise last game was mind boggling. However, his decisions on KK and Suzuki give him a pass for now in my book