Aug. 7 - Game Four - Habs v.s. PITS -4 PM

Go Habs Go!

The icing on the cake of this play-in win is noticing the lack of comments from the negative nellies who believe a high draft pick is the only path to success. The foolish posts that Weber is on the decline, Price is past his prime and this team can’t compete even in a league of extreme parity.

Draft pick primos don’t mean squat in a team sport when games get tight.

McDavid hasn’t won a team achievement even though he’s a stud who lays it all on the line, Eichel is wasting away no matter how hard he tries to do it all and round out his game, and we’re seeing a pattern in TO of talent meaning nothing without buy-in (see Islanders, Columbus) and heart (see Habs). They’re playing like a bunch of Gallagher’s because of the bar set by him, Carey and Weber to do whatever it takes, be humble, carry a big stick.

• Upvote 1

Oh I spoke too soon.

a couple posters couldn’t help but use their “I’m happy, but...” oh no, we get a chance to play playoff hockey and not a top 9 pick.

cry me a river ya sad sacks.

nobody likes a crybaby.

• Upvote 1

What about happy for Suzuki and Kotkaniemi... suzuki going head to head against Crosby? Used more then any other forward on both teams? This is monumental for the franchise and your disappointed we dont get a 12% chance at drafting Lafreniere?

Wheres all the ww should of drafted Quinn and or Tkachuk? And Kk still needs to put another at least 15/20 lbs.

Hell probably end up playing at 210/215lbs... then look out

20 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Team Tank is in shambles right now. I know this because I am on it.

Proud of the players though.

Wouldn't say is in shambles ... my "Team Tank" went on vacation when MB only traded bit pieces at the deadline ... don't think any "tankers" expected the players/coaches to not give EVERYTHING once they got into the play-in ... "tanking" is the GM/ownership's card to play.

Habs played great and deserve all the kudos they get... even if it isn't the result I preferred ... with the chance at the #1 overall (or guaranteed #9) gone I'm cheering for as much success as possible now.

19 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

What about happy for Suzuki and Kotkaniemi... suzuki going head to head against Crosby? Used more then any other forward on both teams? This is monumental for the franchise and your disappointed we dont get a 12% chance at drafting Lafreniere?

Wheres all the ww should of drafted Quinn and or Tkachuk? And Kk still needs to put another at least 15/20 lbs.

Hell probably end up playing at 210/215lbs... then look out

Definitely impressed by Suzuki and KK's play this series ... it bodes well for next season and beyond, regardless of whether the Habs keep winning or lose ... and only time will tell which would have been the best choice of those 3, just like with any draft pick as compared to the players selected shortly after them ... but KK has definitely shown the step forward that I, and I think everyone, had hoped for earlier "this" season ... 

44 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Team Tank is in shambles right now. I know this because I am on it.

Proud of the players though.

We we're gift wrap a playoff spot. Next year same old bubble team missing the playoffs.

Would of been better to try and get a chance to finally draft an elite player.

I will always be in favor of getting an elite player doesn't matter which way we do it, tank, trade or UFA.

13 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Oh I spoke too soon.

a couple posters couldn’t help but use their “I’m happy, but...” oh no, we get a chance to play playoff hockey and not a top 9 pick.

cry me a river ya sad sacks.

nobody likes a crybaby.

And nobody likes a smug, insulting "winner"/gloater ... ***IF*** the Habs get swept in the FIRST ROUND one thing I will promise is not to take the same swipes at you and "yours" ... what's done is done ... hope CJ sticks with his confidence in KK and Suzuki ... wouldn't mind Fleury and Poehling getting into the lineup as well ... IMO Juulsen has just missed to much time the last two seasons to expect him to step into "playoff speed" hockey

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

We we're gift wrap a playoff spot. Next year same old bubble team missing the playoffs.

I will always be in favor of getting an elite player doesn't matter which way we do it, tank, trade or UFA.

I definitely wanted a shot at that #1 pick, and 9th if not ... but "it is what it is" ... I now hope for the youngsters to continue to produce as well as they have thus far, and entrench their improvement as a "new norm" to build upon going forward

1 minute ago, illWill said:

I will respond to this because it has been 20 minutes and nobody else has 

I pondered putting some sort of comment with it but it's the victory banana so it deserved its own spotlight. 

A Carey Price stat:

The Habs with an unprecedented historic achievement.  They're the first 12th place team to ever make the playoffs!!   🤣

The Habs did miss out on a 12.5% chance at the 1st over all pic, but its not the end of the world.   It seems like they might have lucked right out last year and basically got a top 5 pic with Caufield anyway. 

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Posts like this make me wish we had the negative vote button back.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

And nobody likes a smug, insulting "winner"/gloater ... ***IF*** the Habs get swept in the FIRST ROUND one thing I will promise is not to take the same swipes at you and "yours" ... what's done is done ... hope CJ sticks with his confidence in KK and Suzuki ... wouldn't mind Fleury and Poehling getting into the lineup as well ... IMO Juulsen has just missed to much time the last two seasons to expect him to step into "playoff speed" hockey

I’m actually shocked more with the ice time and role KK and Suzuki were given more than the win.  Not at all Julien’s usual approach.  They both actually got meaningful roles and minutes in pressure games and i think that it will be great to get that experience in the actual playoffs.  I like that Suzuki has pushed Danault down the lineup.  I think another round will help both Suzuki and KK’s development.

Having said that, if we end up facing Tampa, the only way we win is if they have injuries, or Price is even better than he was in this round (and he kept us in all 3 games we won).  Tampa will be a much tougher opponent   (the pens look like the hawks did a coupe of years ago), they’ll also be a lot more motivated after last year’s debacle.

Claude Julien, for all of his obsession with Weise, deserves a ton of credit. The Habs played TEXTBOOK playoff hockey from the second-half of Game 3 onward. No more stupid penalties. No more stupid plays. Discipline, focus, cool-heads, smart hockey.

Price...what can you say? His command out there is total. This is 2014 Price and my God, it is a thing of beauty,

The other thing is, the D. I have been profoundly critical of the holes on our blueline. But with Price in full-on "Jesus" mode, Weber, Petry, and Chiarot brought everything you expect and need from veteran defencemen in the playoffs. They simply ground down the Pens and kicked the crap out of them shift after shift, while Weber and Petry also brought the offence. Outstanding. And the shocking re-emergence of Brent Kulak also makes a major difference - he offers a quality second rushing defenceman after Petry. That's significant.

KK emerging as a legit power C has the potential to be a game-changer for the franchise.

I don't understand PITS. They seemed defeated in the second period of Game Three and never recovered. I don't know if maybe Father Time has finally caught up with them just enough - if, collectively, they've lost a fraction of a step - or if, maybe, they need a coaching change. As stunningly, gloriously boring as the Habs played tonight, the Pens should have looked more dangerous than they did.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

If they continue to let young talent play important rules, then that's not true. Just look at what Suzuki and Kotkaniemi did in these four games. It's HUGE for their development. We saw something different this series that gives reason for hope. Probably for the first time since PK and MaxPac do I see light in terms of player development.

Does it suck to not get a chance at the top pick when in reality your are a lottery team? Sure. But draft position is less important if you can develop the talent that you do draft, which we have been severely lacking for quite some time. 

My Weber jersey was still on for his goal. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’m actually shocked more with the ice time and role KK and Suzuki were given more than the win.  Not at all Julien’s usual approach.  They both actually got meaningful roles and minutes in pressure games and i think that it will be great to get that experience in the actual playoffs.  I like that Suzuki has pushed Danault down the lineup.  I think another round will help both Suzuki and KK’s development.

Having said that, if we end up facing Tampa, the only way we win is if they have injuries, or Price is even better than he was in this round (and he kept us in all 3 games we won).  Tampa will be a much tougher opponent   (the pens look like the hawks did a coupe of years ago), they’ll also be a lot more motivated after last year’s debacle.

TBL are a strange team ... but I expect last season's playoff disaster will have them focused and "buying in" to whatever the coach asks

They are also VERY tight to the 20/21 cap and have two significant RFAs to deal with ... Cirelli and Sergachev (I've heard that name somewhere before) ... both were 3rd in TOI in the regular season, 4th in the round-robin at their position ... they will also need three more forwards and three more defencemen to fill the standard 22 man roster ... Tampa is a pretty nice place to play so in addition to playoff redemption factor there is an almost TC-like competition for 20/21 roster spots.

I know I'm late to the party, watching the replay of the game now.  If anybody is left thinking the officiating in the NHL isn't rigged, watch the 3rd period of this game.  First minute, Guentzel hooks Petry's foot out from under him obvious, blatant and deliberate, with 2 refs looking at it, 1 with unobstructed view 6 feet away, no call.  Seven minutes later, the first chance they have to call anything, it's a stop up by Weise in which his foot clips McCann, PENATLY!

Its atrocious.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Claude Julien, for all of his obsession with Weise, deserves a ton of credit. The Habs played TEXTBOOK playoff hockey from the second-half of Game 3 onward. No more stupid penalties. No more stupid plays. Discipline, focus, cool-heads, smart hockey.

Price...what can you say? His command out there is total. This is 2014 Price and my God, it is a thing of beauty,

The other thing is, the D. I have been profoundly critical of the holes on our blueline. But with Price in full-on "Jesus" mode, Weber, Petry, and Chiarot brought everything you expect and need from veteran defencemen in the playoffs. They simply ground down the Pens and kicked the crap out of them shift after shift, while Weber and Petry also brought the offence. Outstanding. And the shocking re-emergence of Brent Kulak also makes a major difference - he offers a quality second rushing defenceman after Petry. That's significant.

KK emerging as a legit power C has the potential to be a game-changer for the franchise.

I don't understand PITS. They seemed defeated in the second period of Game Three and never recovered. I don't know if maybe Father Time has finally caught up with them just enough - if, collectively, they've lost a fraction of a step - or if, maybe, they need a coaching change. As stunningly, gloriously boring as the Habs played tonight, the Pens should have looked more dangerous than they did.

Kulak is back to what I expected after 18/19, entering 19/20 ... smart, underrated, solid defensively and capable of an occasional offensive contribution ... if he keeps this up he makes it easy to break Romanov into the NHL gently, on the 3rd pairing ... and, perhaps best of all, Brett is signed for two more years at a reasonable AAV (1.85) for a 2nd pairing defenceman

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I liked that Suzuki and KK were getting a lot of ice time and important roles too, and it was incredible to see that both 20 year olds stepped right up to the challenge. 

I was sorta worried thinking who would replace Pleks and shutdown Crosby and Malkin.  Suzuki did a great job doing that so I am confident he can shutdown Stamkos, and he'd probably be great against Bergeron and Marchand too (if it comes to that).

The funny thing is that numerous analysts had the Pens winning the Cup.  Pitts did have a bunch of injuries all season, numerous youngsters stepped up that kept them fairly high in the standings, and they were buyers at the trade deadline.  The Pitts team the Habs just beat was a much better team than they were in the reg season.  The Habs didnt even play great and they beat Pitts.  I think the Habs will have a decent chance at beating any team. 

3 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Sir_Boagalott, now there's a name out of the past!

🤣

It's been along time.  How have you been?

It was funny I checked some of my last posts and they were from 2011, and 1 of them was a discussion about Webers new contract with Nash, and what Subban would get.  I chuckled about the irony of that now. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I know I'm late to the party, watching the replay of the game now.  If anybody is left thinking the officiating in the NHL isn't rigged, watch the 3rd period of this game.  First minute, Guentzel hooks Petry's foot out from under him obvious, blatant and deliberate, with 2 refs looking at it, 1 with unobstructed view 6 feet away, no call.  Seven minutes later, the first chance they have to call anything, it's a stop up by Weise in which his foot clips McCann, PENATLY!

Its atrocious.

I thought the Weise penalty was 100% a penalty.