(12) Montreal Canadiens vs (5)(1) Philadelphia Flyers - SC Playoffs - First Round Discussion

xXx..CK..xXx

Philly's top six is what 'should' separate them from the Habs.

Hab forwards will need to finish more often than have been and a PPG or two would be a bonus.

48 minutes ago, DON said:

Philly's top six is what 'should' separate them from the Habs.

Hab forwards will need to finish more often than have been and a PPG or two would be a bonus.

What is this PPG of which you speak?

At this point, I wonder if they shouldn't try the guys that haven't been getting ANY time on the PP and see what happens ... and throw whatever "system" exists out the window ... if I counted correctly, the Habs had 12 power-plays against Pittsburgh and were credited with a grand total of 3 shots ... 

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

Post-Powerplay Goal?  We had one of those in Game 4 that really swung the momentum...

😂

Just now, tomh009 said:

Maybe it's time for the flying V formation for the power play?

Could it do any worse?

Habs power play was 0/12 during the play in series vs Pittsburgh but Philly’s pp was 0/11 during the round robin.

11 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Habs power play was 0/12 during the play in series vs Pittsburgh but Philly’s pp was 0/11 during the round robin.

But, they say it was doing very well Jan-March.

11 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

And the Penguins were only 1/19, which is not that much better.

Looked interesting comparison of rosters, they note couple players's most recent play not factored in (Kotkaniemi for one).

From Dom Luszczyszyn and Harman Dayal, the Athletic

image.png

The Flyers fans were crowing about Thompson but he's actually rated worse than Weise. Overall, considering the play of Kotkaniemi and Suzuki, our forwards don't look much worse than the Flyers ones.

And, at least so far, Price is playing significantly better than a "0.3".

I think this might be a hard-fought series, not the bloodbath their fans are predicting.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

I think this might be a hard-fought series, not the bloodbath their fans are predicting.

Philly 4 players with 50+pts,

Habs had 1.

Other than that pretty even.

59 minutes ago, DON said:

Looked interesting comparison of rosters, they note couple players's most recent play not factored in (Kotkaniemi for one).

From Dom Luszczyszyn and Harman Dayal, the Athletic

image.png

Is Gostisbehere injured or scratched? I would have thought he’d be in their top 4.

8 hours ago, DON said:

Philly 4 players with 50+pts,

Habs had 1.

Other than that pretty even.

I prefer points per game; if we use 0.75 as the cutoff, Flyers indeed have five players over that whereas Tatar is the only one on the Habs.

But it’s worthwhile to note that the Penguins had five — and still had trouble scoring.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

Scratched.  He's their 7th d-man.

Wow.  Unless their top 6 is significantly better than what I think, I think that’s a huge blunder.  Hell, I know he’s fallen out of favour, but I’d take him in our top 4.

He played against Tampa on Saturday (only game of the round robin he played) and he got 2 assists.

I have a non-bold prediction that we’ll be seeing him this series. 

23 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

He played against Tampa on Saturday (only game of the round robin he played) and he got 2 assists.

I have a non-bold prediction that we’ll be seeing him this series. 

He’s a guy we should try and see if we can pickup in the offseason. - not sure what the flyers cap situation is, but would be good pickup if cheap.  I’d be reluctant to give up to many assets, unless it’s another Dman that we don’t really have room for, since I doubt if we can protect too many in the expansion draft.  Weber is a given, Petry, we don’t need to sign until after the draft, so don’t need to protect him. That leaves protecting  2 of Mete, chariot and Jullsen.  I don’t think brook or fleury need to be protected and Romanov definitely shouldn’t need to be. That leaves exposing kulak and Alzner and hope Seattle wants the veteran character type.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He’s a guy we should try and see if we can pickup in the offseason. - not sure what the flyers cap situation is, but would be good pickup if cheap.

Capfriendly says $70,000 left in capspace for Philly, 6th closest to capped out.

Goat is 27 and makes $4.5 for next 3 years.

35 minutes ago, DON said:

Capfriendly says $70,000 left in capspace for Philly, 6th closest to capped out.

Goat is 27 and makes $4.5 for next 3 years.

I’d be willing to take that on if we cost was low and maybe Philly even retains some salary.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He’s a guy we should try and see if we can pickup in the offseason. - not sure what the flyers cap situation is, but would be good pickup if cheap.  I’d be reluctant to give up to many assets, unless it’s another Dman that we don’t really have room for, since I doubt if we can protect too many in the expansion draft.  Weber is a given, Petry, we don’t need to sign until after the draft, so don’t need to protect him. That leaves protecting  2 of Mete, chariot and Jullsen.  I don’t think brook or fleury need to be protected and Romanov definitely shouldn’t need to be. That leaves exposing kulak and Alzner and hope Seattle wants the veteran character type.

There has been a long-rumoured (i.e., once an actual rumour, once and then repeated ad nauseam) offer from the Flyers of The Ghost for Byron that MB supposedly refused.

IMO Weber is only a "given" if he stays healthy (pro-rated 75 of 82 this past season) ... if he suffers another injury and misses a large chunk of games (24 in 18/19, 56 in 17/18) then it may not be quite so obvious ... and not certain the habs will want to let Petry come that close to free agency ... I expect he will be re-signed and protected ... 20/21 will be Fleury's second NHL season and Brook has yet to play an NHL game, so neither needs to be protected ... I see Mete as the likely "veteran" defenceman to be exposed (he need only play 19 games this season to meet the threshold)

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d be willing to take that on if we cost was low and maybe Philly even retains some salary.

Retained salary means the Habs have to give up more to get him, so ***IF*** MB looks to trade for The Ghost he's better off taking on all $4.5 if possible .

A factor may be the fate of Karl Alzner ... a buyout is (IMO) not feasible as he would take up $3,958,333, $1,958,333, $833,333 and $833,333 on the cap for the next four seasons ... but the next two seasons Karl offers $1.625 and $1.125 of "free" cap space (because his actual salary drops) ... that might help to trade him at a reasonable "cost" ... The Ghost would then add only $950K to the cap compared to burying Alzner in the AHL ... even better, but highly unlikely is Alzner pulling a Pleks and asking to void his contract ...I believe I recall reading that KA said he feels he can still play in the NHL; in fairness, IMO Alzner could find a NHL job if he became a free agent ... but at well below his current AAV ... however, with the pending drop in his actual (take home) salary, voiding would have less (but still not insignificant) impact on what he would earn ...