2020 Playoffs Thread

dlbalr

32 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Yeah, I just meant everything else scheduled for today would be pushed back.

I kind of had a gut feeling Tampa would end it early, but I was hoping that was just my pessimist streak showing. Such a tight series, with multi-goal leads never lasting long. Still proud of Columbus this year after the mass exodus of talent. If Liam Fourth keeps developing and they maybe add FA at winger, this team can be dangerous.

I was thinking earlier today that a BOLD PREDICTION for tonight's game would that it will be played tomorrow

7 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Is it time for Calgary to rethink their team? They seem to have garnered a reputation for being a group that you don't mind facing in the playoffs. 

Could opportunity to piece together a package that would include sending Drouin+ for Monohan.

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Could opportunity to piece together a package that would include sending Drouin+ for Monohan.

I like that idea ... although expect it would take something substantial added to Drouin, if they even want him (don't see a great fit for Drouin in Calgary) ... it would create a backlog at the centre position (albeit a wonderful issue for a change) ... Monohan is a solid face-off guy so he likely wouldn't be the one to move ... even with Suzuki (?) moving to the wing the Habs would IMO need another upgrade at the wing in the top 6

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I like that idea ... although expect it would take something substantial added to Drouin, if they even want him (don't see a great fit for Drouin in Calgary) ... it would create a backlog at the centre position (albeit a wonderful issue for a change) ... Monohan is a solid face-off guy so he likely wouldn't be the one to move ... even with Suzuki (?) moving to the wing the Habs would IMO need another upgrade at the wing in the top 6

He’s played the wing as well.  Though most want to move Gaudreau before Monohan.

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

He’s played the wing as well.  Though most want to move Gaudreau before Monohan.

Agree ... Flames more likely to try to move Gaudreau before Monahan, unless an off for Sean blows there socks off ... Not as interested in Gaudreau ... JG is not as consistent a scorer and is another small forward ... Habs need to add talented size to the top 6

If Habs were lucky enough to get Monahan I think he would stay at centre as he is the more established NHL player, and good on faceoffs ... not certain shifting back to wing (where he played much of the season) would greatly impact Suzuki's game, but either he or KK could make the shift fairly easily IMO ... upon further pondering, KK might be the better switch as defensive play and faceoffs are, in relative terms to the rest of his game, not his strengths.

He just can't help making it all about Allan Walsh, can he...

Fleury in the playoffs this year: 2.50 GAA, .886 SV%
Lehner in the playoffs this year: 2.44 GAA, .904 SV%

There aren't many out there that think Vegas is making the wrong goalie choice to start Game 1 here.

46 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Radulov was sizzling tonight

Yep.  Would have been nice to have resigned him. 

6 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

For 10 million so he could clear the same as he does in dallas

We had an opportunity to sign him before he hit free agency, but didn’t.  He should have been signed long before the trade deadline, when the cost would have been lower.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We had an opportunity to sign him before he hit free agency, but didn’t.  He should have been signed long before the trade deadline, when the cost would have been lower.

Ha made his demands in Jan, wanted 8 years and no discount to stay.

8 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

For 10 million so he could clear the same as he does in dallas

Not that there’s any merit to rekindling this topic but it would have been 8.1 million, and yes even without hindsight it would have been worth paying him that amount. We had 15 million in cap space, didn’t end up signing Markov or Radulov, and instead signed Hemsky to a $1 million deal and Alzner to a $4.65 mil per year contract. 

27 minutes ago, DON said:

Ha made his demands in Jan, wanted 8 years and no discount to stay.

Exactly.  He was going to the highest bidder, plain and simple.

13 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Not that there’s any merit to rekindling this topic but it would have been 8.1 million, and yes even without hindsight it would have been worth paying him that amount. We had 15 million in cap space, didn’t end up signing Markov or Radulov, and instead signed Hemsky to a $1 million deal and Alzner to a $4.65 mil per year contract. 

I disagree.  If this year was any indication (his offensive output dipped to a level close to Armia's), those final two years are going to be ugly with Dallas buying themselves out of the last season or paying a pretty penny to get someone to take it off their hands.  The AAV is on the high side and the term of the contract was nuts at the time and still is.  Bergevin didn't do well with his backup plan to spend the money elsewhere but I'm quite thankful that his contract won't be on the books as players like Petry, Gallagher, Danault, etc all need new deals a year from now.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I disagree.  If this year was any indication (his offensive output dipped to a level close to Armia's), those final two years are going to be ugly with Dallas buying themselves out of the last season or paying a pretty penny to get someone to take it off their hands.  The AAV is on the high side and the term of the contract was nuts at the time and still is.  Bergevin didn't do well with his backup plan to spend the money elsewhere but I'm quite thankful that his contract won't be on the books as players like Petry, Gallagher, Danault, etc all need new deals a year from now.

Yes...but then again, those deals are likely to burn us on the back end as well...

Once you're signing guys who are well into their 30s, it's pretty hard to engineer a deal that doesn't entail pain on the back-end, unless the guy is willing to temper his demands.

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I would of loved to still have Radulov. However, him walking correlated directly to the arrival of Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and Romanov because we would of never been that bad!

So for that I am grateful

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

The moment we “let” Radulov walk without any backup plan was the moment I realized we would not be able to compete for a Stanley Cup the following year. It’s not that Radulov has been so stellar with Dallas, though two 72 point seasons aint too shabby, it’s that he is one of the best Russian players of all time and we had the inside track on him. Sure, he was going to the highest bidder, but had we been the highest bidder, I am sure he would have listened more than had he already been on Dallas previously.

I don’t buy into having to always worry about the end of contracts killing a team’s cap fortunes because if we always feel that way, then the team simply will never have any high end skill for any petiod of time. By the end of their contracts veteran players like Dallas seems to have accumulated can still be extremely vital secondary pieces to championship teams. 37 year old Radulov isn’t worth 8 million, however 37 year old Radulov is still more valuable than 4-5 other players we will have, combined. 

Whether or not Radulov would have signed is another question, but whether or not we should have signed him to an 8 million a year contradt is a huge yes for me. At the time I was fine with over 7 million and I wouldn't complain complain about a 500k a year overpayment for someone who slots in as a first line player. Those who would only offer 6 million to him were already closed minded to the idea of keeping him from the beginning.

Not to single him out but since it was brought up, I would have been quite fine losing Danault had it meant we could sign Radulov into his elder years. 

I was also disappointed we didn't resign Radulov  however we will likely never know what the cost/term was to keep him. A lot of people crucified MB for not resigning him but few gave him credit for taking the chance to bring him back when nobody else would take a chance on him.

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I was also disappointed we didn't resign Radulov  however we will likely never know what the cost/term was to keep him. A lot of people crucified MB for not resigning him but few gave him credit for taking the chance to bring him back when nobody else would take a chance on him.

I am not one of those MB bashers and in fact I don’t spend much of my energy thinking about him. With that being said, what we do know is that the equivalent of what Radulov signed for in Dallas would have costed the Habs 8.1 million. We also know that what the Habs offered was the same offer as Dallas. I can personally feel confident when I come to the conclusion that Radulov would have likely signed with the Habs for 8.1 million. I am also aware that not many fans on this board would have wanted to sign him for 8.1 million. The question for me is whether or not he would have signed for 7-7.5 million and even if the answer would be no, we then come to the conclusion that signing one of the best Russian forwards to ever play the game, a season after he was our best player in the playoffs, was not worth signing because we would be ripped off by $500k. Considering the organization failed to use their cap space for years to come afterward, it becomes hard for me to find a reason we should be worried about his salary, and consequently his cap hit.

19 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I am not one of those MB bashers and in fact I don’t spend much of my energy thinking about him. With that being said, what we do know is that the equivalent of what Radulov signed for in Dallas would have costed the Habs 8.1 million. We also know that what the Habs offered was the same offer as Dallas. I can personally feel confident when I come to the conclusion that Radulov would have likely signed with the Habs for 8.1 million. I am also aware that not many fans on this board would have wanted to sign him for 8.1 million. The question for me is whether or not he would have signed for 7-7.5 million and even if the answer would be no, we then come to the conclusion that signing one of the best Russian forwards to ever play the game, a season after he was our best player in the playoffs, was not worth signing because we would be ripped off by $500k. Considering the organization failed to use their cap space for years to come afterward, it becomes hard for me to find a reason we should be worried about his salary, and consequently his cap hit.

That's a fair comment. I would have been a little skeptical giving him a long term contract at 8.1 million after 1 good season to a guy who was 31 at the time. No question about his talent.   I was probably hoping (and likely so was MB) that he would give Montreal a little hometown discount for taking a chance on him but that obviously was not the case. If Dallas doesn't score with 12 seconds left against Calgary in game 4 then we are probably not having this discussion, again. 

7 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

The moment we “let” Radulov walk without any backup plan was the moment I realized we would not be able to compete for a Stanley Cup the following year. It’s not that Radulov has been so stellar with Dallas, though two 72 point seasons aint too shabby, it’s that he is one of the best Russian players of all time and we had the inside track on him.

Seriously? I don't think he would make my top-ten list, there are way too many greats ahead of him.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic