2020 Playoffs Thread

dlbalr

10 minutes ago, DON said:

Well, gotta say the NHL has managed to pull off pretty good playoffs so far.

I simply assumed Covid would have a much much bigger impact on rosters.:hockey:

It’s been much better than I expected.  another double OT tonight.  Lots of teams bouncing back that looked like they were down for the count.

The only complaint I have is the ridiculous secrecy about  injuries - it was bad enough before, but now it’s really over the top. 

I wonder if Vancouver is regretting not being a bubble city, given how well they have managed to control the bubble.

26 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Waits for Allan Walsh tweet after watching Canucks game...

Hughes has been a joy to watch- that’s how hockey should be played.  Watching three 21 year old men in Hughes, Maker and Heiskanen, just shows the type of dmen we need.  Makes me appreciate what we had with Markov even more, but this kids are playing at that high level a friggin 21 years old.

as for Walsh, what is he going to do next? Post a pic with a beachball with MAC’s face on it going through Lehner’s legs? God I hate that turd.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Havent watched, but sounds like Canucks youngsters are doing very well.

Great to hear.

East Coaster who spent some years in BC and still follow the Nucks.

youngsters are doing well but we wouldn’t even be talking about them if Demko hadn’t saved their asses, they really don’t deserve to still be alive so while the youngsters have stepped up and showed cause for optimism (like Suzuki, KK) there are some serious deficiencies that are easily overlooked by the results.

similar with Habs minimal success, there is reason for hope but still a lot of roster Mgmt and development required before consistent success can be expected.

Vancouver shouldn’t still be playing if not for Demko. When Price steals games it is expected as Habs invested heavily in him as their Star and his excellent play is part of the game plan.

Demko has been a pleasant surprise, but his play is well above expectations and masking how outmatched the team is.

rooting for them but a hot goalie is making them appear more well-rounded than they are.

the knights are legit and scary how quickly they have established consistent performance and effort levels.

Edited by hockeyrealist

51 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

East Coaster who spent some years in BC and still follow the Nucks.

youngsters are doing well but we wouldn’t even be talking about them if Demko hadn’t saved their asses, they really don’t deserve to still be alive so while the youngsters have stepped up and showed cause for optimism (like Suzuki, KK) there are some serious deficiencies that are easily overlooked by the results.

similar with Habs minimal success, there is reason for hope but still a lot of roster Mgmt and development required before consistent success can be expected.

Vancouver shouldn’t still be playing if not for Demko. When Price steals games it is expected as Habs invested heavily in him as their Star and his excellent play is part of the game plan.

Demko has been a pleasant surprise, but his play is well above expectations and masking how outmatched the team is.

rooting for them but a hot goalie is making them appear more well-rounded than they are.

the knights are legit and scary how quickly they have established consistent performance and effort levels.

Goaltending counts, my friend. And the Canucks are blessed with a surfeit of it...Markstrom is strong and Demko is a highly-touted young G.

I mean, I agree with you that Vegas is a stronger club overall and that goaltending covers some deficiencies on the Canuckleheads. But it's wrong to discount strength at any given position. It's no less valid for the Canucks to win with strong goaltending than it is for Washington to win with Ovechkin or the Pens to win with superstars down the middle. Nobody goes, "well, if it weren't for Crosby and Malkin, the Pens would not have won those Cups..."

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Goaltending counts, my friend. And the Canucks are blessed with a surfeit of it...Markstrom is strong and Demko is a highly-touted young G.

I mean, I agree with you that Vegas is a stronger club overall and that goaltending covers some deficiencies on the Canuckleheads. But it's wrong to discount strength at any given position. It's no less valid for the Canucks to win with strong goaltending than it is for Washington to win with Ovechkin or the Pens to win with superstars down the middle.

Goaltending is important, always has been important and always will be.  

3 of our last 8 cups were largely a result of outstanding goaltending and in each instance the goalie was the conn smythe winner (Dryden and Roy x 2).  What has not happened yet is a goalie that is one of the highest paid players in the league winning a cup.  We paid around $12m for goaltending and still had unused cap room.  The Canucks paid their goalies les than $6m.   I’d rather have a roster that spends money on elite dmen and centres and get a very good goalie, than get the best goalie in the world and have a mediocre team.

we don’t have anyone that matches Hughes.  We may have a potential Paterson in Suzuki, or Kk, but they are not there yet.  Domi and Drouin, Tatar and Gallagher are not Boeser. 

the Canucks are going be stuck  paying a lot more for goaltending because of the idiotic Luongo penalty (don’t get how you get fined for playing within the rules that were in place, but I digress).

I don’t think anyone discounts the value of goaltending. What I don’t agree with is spending $15m on goaltending, or putting all your hopes on your goalie to win you 1-0 or 2-1 games, which has been what we needed for Price most years when we actually made the playoffs.

How many playoff rounds have we won having the best goalie in the world and a mediocre lineup?

the knights went to the finals in their first year with a supposed over-rated and washed up Fleury.  Now they have another chance with lehner who’s made a fraction of what price has made in the last 3 years, but has put up much better numbers.

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wasn't their another rookie goalie who stood out in 1985-86 playoffs and kinda helped in a cup win.:P

(2018-19 winning goaler also I guess)

12 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t think anyone discounts the value of goaltending. What I don’t agree with is spending $15m on goaltending, or putting all your hopes on your goalie to win you 1-0 or 2-1 games, which has been what we needed for Price most years when we actually made the playoffs.

How many playoff rounds have we won having the best goalie in the world and a mediocre lineup?

We can't go back in time to negotiate the Price contract differently, whether we want to or not. Water under the bridge.

All Bergevin can do now is work with the contracts he has and secure the best possible players with the cap room he has available.

17 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

... I don’t think anyone discounts the value of goaltending. What I don’t agree with is spending $15m on goaltending, or putting all your hopes on your goalie to win you 1-0 or 2-1 games, which has been what we needed for Price most years when we actually made the playoffs.

How many playoff rounds have we won having the best goalie in the world and a mediocre lineup? ...

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

We can't go back in time to negotiate the Price contract differently, whether we want to or not. Water under the bridge.

All Bergevin can do now is work with the contracts he has and secure the best possible players with the cap room he has available.

True, we can't go back (at least not yet) ... but it is fair to evaluate whether it was a good choice and what impact it has had on the franchise

32 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

What do you think the Canucks are missing?

After Petterson, Boeser,  Miller, and maybe Horvat, the talent seems to drop off a lot. I'd say 2 top six players and a couple 3rd liners that can fill in on the top 6. Another year of development for Patterson and Hughes will help.

11 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

After Petterson, Boeser,  Miller, and maybe Horvat, the talent seems to drop off a lot. I'd say 2 top six players and a couple 3rd liners that can fill in on the top 6. Another year of development for Patterson and Hughes will help.

The fundamental problem with the Benning rebuild is that, while they've hit absolute home runs in drafting spectacular all-star talent, they have weirdly failed to develop secondary young talent. You either get Petterson, Hughes, and Boeser, or garbage - there's no middle. It's odd.

That's partly why they have so many bad contracts.They shouldn't need to be carrying Sutter, Beagle, Ericksson, Myers, etc.; ideally most of those types of mid- to bottom-range guys would be brought up through the system. Instead they have to pay big just to fill those roster spots with NHLers.

It's the opposite of the Habs' traditional dilemma under Timmins (all middling talent , no elite). And thinking about the way forward, I'm hard pressed to see how the Canucks can add that missing middle. If I were Benning, I'd probably be trying to bring in another young-ish D-mam, but that's not easily done. 

This may be as good as they get for the next while.

It will be very interesting to see what they do in goal. Markstrom was originally supposed to be a placeholder until Demko was ready. But then he emerged as a late-blossoming elite starter, and Demko had ups and downs in relief. Now that Demko has shown he can dominate games under extreme conditions, do they still plough ahead and lock-up a 30-year-old Markstrom to a fat long-term deal? I predict "yes" because Benning is a plodding linear thinker. But the best chance they have of becoming contenders may be to bet the farm on Demko and invest that cap money elsewhere.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's the opposite of the Habs' traditional dilemma under Timmins (all middling talent , no elite).

Your analysis CC, and BC’s

15 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

make me think that maybe Habs and Canucks should find a way to trade with each other since they complement each other well: cap room vs young scoring talent, mid-roster prospects depth vs being cup contenders

35 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Your analysis CC, and BC’s

make me think that maybe Habs and Canucks should find a way to trade with each other since they complement each other well: cap room vs young scoring talent, mid-roster prospects depth vs being cup contenders

Mete, Drouin, and Domi for Boeser!

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Boeser does score at a 31 goals per 82 games pace ... but he missed almost 20% of the games the 'Nucks played the last three seasons ... pluses and minuses 

15 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Boeser does score at a 31 goals per 82 games pace ... but he missed almost 20% of the games the 'Nucks played the last three seasons ... pluses and minuses 

I was only half-serious. But it *is* interesting to imagine some such configuration - giving the Canucks a bunch of middling guys in exchange for Boeser. He is, however, the weakest of the Canucks' big four (Petterson, Hughes, Horvat, Boeser), for just the reasons you state; which is why, of the four, he's the one who could conceivably be moved. The others are untouchable and rightly so.

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

4--0 Islanders on 26 shots. That's 31 goals in 12 (proper) playoff games. Maybe Hart is not quite the second coming of Price, at least not yet?

Hart is certainly a fine young goalie, but I am convinced his rep has been inflated by playing behind Vigneault's superb team defence. Carey Price, by contrast, has basically been thrown to the wolves his entire career in Montreal and has dominated regardless. Hart is not the next Price. Far from it, IMHO.

On another note: I am surprised to see Dallas reaching the Semi-Finals. But I think Vegas is just too strong...I would not be shocked, not at all, if they win the whole thing. They seem to have no weaknesses, unless it be in net. How do we feel about the thought of MaxPac hoisting Lord Stanley's Mug?

I will be happy for Patches

he was one of my favourite Habs and defended him often on this forum

but his trade gave the Habs Suzuki and regular season Tatar 

I’ll have no trouble cheering for him

20 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Hey! that is what I posted in another thread earlier:

On 9/4/2020 at 11:02 AM, alfredoh2009 said:

Me too, but it seems like Vancouver really wants to sign him. 
I would rather trade for Boeser and take on Eriksson’s bad contract for Domi and Mete

More like:

Brock Boeser($5.9M) and Loui Eriksson($6M)

for

Domi($5M-%5.5M) Mete($0.75M) and a a second round draft pick.

It gives them the cap space they need to wheel and deal, while signing their RFAs and UFAs

In Max Domi, they get a good middle-6 center, a very good third line center

Mete gives them a mobile Defenseman that can play in the NHL. 

The second round pick should get it done...

Speaking of Patches hoisting the cup, Radulov with the OT winner in game 3. 2-1 stars. 

At this point, we’re going to have to accept that either Pacioretty, Radulov, Sergachev, or McDonagh will win the cup.

I’m settling on accepting Tampa as the winner for one reason or another.

45 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Speaking of Patches hoisting the cup, Radulov with the OT winner in game 3. 2-1 stars. 

At this point, we’re going to have to accept that either Pacioretty, Radulov, Sergachev, or McDonagh will win the cup.

I’m settling on accepting Tampa as the winner for one reason or another.

Any ex-Habs on the NYI ? 

I can’t think of one 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic