Jump to content

2020 Playoffs Thread


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, tomh009 said:

 

I agree. Particularly we need backup goaltending that will take about a third of the load in the regular season, whether that's a UFA signing or Demchenko (assuming Primeau is able to play in the AHL) -- and acceptance of that by Price and Julien. ...

 

Apparently Pierre McGuire said on TSN690 that Marc-Andre Fleury could be a good backup ... but wasn't certain habs could get him ... assuming a trade could be worked out (and habs aren't on MAF 10-team no rade list) they key would be that MAF fully accepts only playing about 1/3 of the games, and Carey accepts only playing 2/3 of the games ... a trade concept that occurred to me would be a trade built around MAF to Habs and Alzner to the GKs ... both have two years left ... saves Vegas $2.375M ... obviously other pieces going to Vegas (picks or prospects with minimal cap hit ... not what NGKs would first look for ... but unless someone else wants a $7M per season (soon to be 36 yr-old) goalie it could be worth considering ... *** IF *** Alzner was going to be sitting on the cap anyway, $2.375M more for a quality back-up is not bad IMO.

 

And the great unknown in all this is how highly the Habs rate Demchenko

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As opposed to a fan of a league of subliminal racists, moral cowards and hypocrites like the NHL...

They left Hainsey unprotected on waivers. Not a top dman, but would have been a good top 4 for many years and it was not like we were icing better defencemen in the lineup.   McDonough was our

47 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Apparently Pierre McGuire said on TSN690 that Marc-Andre Fleury could be a good backup ... but wasn't certain habs could get him ... assuming a trade could be worked out (and habs aren't on MAF 10-team no rade list) they key would be that MAF fully accepts only playing about 1/3 of the games, and Carey accepts only playing 2/3 of the games ... a trade concept that occurred to me would be a trade built around MAF to Habs and Alzner to the GKs ... both have two years left ... saves Vegas $2.375M ... obviously other pieces going to Vegas (picks or prospects with minimal cap hit ... not what NGKs would first look for ... but unless someone else wants a $7M per season (soon to be 36 yr-old) goalie it could be worth considering ... *** IF *** Alzner was going to be sitting on the cap anyway, $2.375M more for a quality back-up is not bad IMO.

 

The net cost to Montreal's cap is higher than $2.375M though.  They can save $1.075M by burying him in the minors which would have to be taken into consideration here as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Just saying that If NYI wipe out a team that beat the Habs 4 of 6, despite ELITE goaltending by Price, then we can't reasonably expect that the Habs would do much better ... THAt said, it is just one game.

 

NYI only beat the Flyers 4-0. We beat them 5-0 so therefore we are better than NYI. QED.

 

Yeah, it's only one game. I'll change my opinion if the Flyers get blown out every game, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

 

The net cost to Montreal's cap is higher than $2.375M though.  They can save $1.075M by burying him in the minors which would have to be taken into consideration here as well.

 

Of course if Alzner is buried then another player who makes at least $700K would be kept on the roster so the net savings from burying him are at most $375K ... but it was really just a thought exercise for how the Habs could possibly afford a $7 million backup ... given that MAF's Sv% dropped each of the last two season (T38th, minimum 20 games, 2019/20) he is not likely a target of any teams needing a starting goalie, which will make him difficult to move ...

 

All that said, hopefully Alzner is sooooo fed up he "goes Pleks" or MB can pawn him off for a reasonable cost to a team that likes his "free AAV".

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

All that said, hopefully Alzner is sooooo fed up he "goes Pleks" or MB can pawn him off for a reasonable cost to a team that likes his "free AAV".

 

With so many teams looking to free up cap space, the cost of offloading Alzner's contract is going to be extremely high, especially with the second year attached to it.  There are other veterans that will be available with a similar lower salary relative to cap hit and could actually still contribute to a team.  I'd expect the going rate would start with a first-round pick to move Alzner's deal and that won't be a price that the Habs will pay.  Their best shot may be a move with 50% retention and taking a high-priced player in the return.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

As opposed to a fan of a league of subliminal racists, moral cowards and hypocrites like the NHL...

 

Do you think the NHL players should boycott games?   You would think MLB would make a stronger statement.  It was tough to watch a video of the shooting in Wisconsin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

Do you think the NHL players should boycott games?   You would think MLB would make a stronger statement.  It was tough to watch a video of the shooting in Wisconsin.

 

I just read that the Mariners are boycotting tonight, so MLB is coming.

 

I agree with Hrudey, yes, the NHL should do likewise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

I just read that the Mariners are boycotting tonight, so MLB is coming.

 

I agree with Hrudey, yes, the NHL should do likewise. 

 

Something has to be done or change won't happen.  Too bad we are going through this COVID thing at the same time, if there were fans buying tickets the boycotts would have more effect.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

Do you think the NHL players should boycott games? 

 

It is easier for me to say yes after the Habs where eliminated. But in either case, I would like to think that the NHL really cares about this issue.

 

I would much rather like to see a general strike in the USA, so that they can sort their history and politics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

 

It is easier for me to say yes after the Habs where eliminated. But in either case, I would like to think that the NHL really cares about this issue.

 

I would much rather like to see a general strike in the USA, so that they can sort their history and politics.

 

A general strike would be amazing, but American workers are so divided it would probably lead to massive violence and chaos...

Link to post
Share on other sites

The NBA is coming back, either tomorrow or Friday. 

 

So I don't see this being a general strike.  

It seems to be more a short term thing to raise awareness, then a long term thing where we won't play til changes are made. 

 

If that is where the NBA is going, expecting the NHL to do more?  Not gonna happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

A general strike would be amazing, but American workers are so divided it would probably lead to massive violence and chaos...

I was born in El Salvador and back during the civil war, general strikes were the less destructive way to show the government that change was needed.

Sometimes, there is no other way to change deep-rooted social injustice 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DON said:

 

Go Isles Go!

Show Tavares and the league you are for real.

Put them Flyers out of their misery

 

(and help me improve my lousy pool standing)

Link to post
Share on other sites

i recall that 6 game loss to NYR, countless chances, missed breakaways etc. the chances were there for good ol patches but he just couldnt convert. Maybe its the lack of pressure from the fans watching the games live this year that has him scoring more easily? Or there was No Mark Stone, Marchessault, karlsson, smith, tuch etc. to ease the burden back then? Or the knights are just a way better playoff team then our habs of years past and are arguably the favourites to win it all... Dallas Vegas TB currently in any order i guess

Link to post
Share on other sites

May as well put the Islanders up there as well. I’m not putting anything past Trotz, at this point. It wouldn’t surprise me to see them in the final. The most obvious choice is Tampa vs Vegas, though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

i recall that 6 game loss to NYR, countless chances, missed breakaways etc. the chances were there for good ol patches but he just couldnt convert. Maybe its the lack of pressure from the fans watching the games live this year that has him scoring more easily? Or there was No Mark Stone, Marchessault, karlsson, smith, tuch etc. to ease the burden back then? Or the knights are just a way better playoff team then our habs of years past and are arguably the favourites to win it all... Dallas Vegas TB currently in any order i guess

 

Maybe there is no such thing as clutch, and over long sample sizes things even out..... 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • dlbalr unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...