2020 Playoffs Thread

dlbalr

1 minute ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Would the Habs still be playing simply by adding Radulov to this current roster? 

What a gamer... love the way he plays the game. 

No, many other dominos wouldn’t have fallen into place

Radulov is a great player, but he isn’t MB’s 🐕

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Any ex-Habs on the NYI ? 

I can’t think of one 

According to the "rumour mill" there is a FUTURE Hab ... Matthew "Offer Sheet" Barzal

😉

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

According to the "rumour mill" there is a FUTURE Hab ... Matthew "Offer Sheet" Barzal

😉

No way would Lou let Brazal leave and I don’t think the habs could make an offer sheet high enough that he wouldn’t match.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

No way would Lou let Brazal leave and I don’t think the habs could make an offer sheet high enough that he wouldn’t match.

I agree ... hence the quotes and italics for rumour mill and the wink

s to the cup final 

15 minutes ago, illWill said:

This makes me happy as a Gerard Gallant fan and also because I bet the Stars to win the Cup a year ago at 18-1 odds 

Good call on the bet

I did not know about the Stars and I went with the VGKs because I knew them “better”

🤔 I wonder how I would have “built” the Stars team as one of their fans (on their fan forums) 5 years ago? 🤔

5 hours ago, Trizzak said:

In a copycat league the Stars winning will be unfortunate because of their suffocating defense.

But with a team full of OGWAC's it would be nice to see them get it.

Or it could highlight the need to draft a dman like Heiskanen, and make bold trades/ signings to boast the High skilled offensive players that can produce despite suffocating defence.  Having said that Vegas did outshoot them and had the lead in a key game for the second consecutive year and blew it in the third..

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Or it could highlight the need to draft a dman like Heiskanen, and make bold trades/ signings to boast the High skilled offensive players that can produce despite suffocating defence.  Having said that Vegas did outshoot them and had the lead in a key game for the second consecutive year and blew it in the third..

Heiskanen is fantastic, he is absolutely stellar everywhere on ice. And he's only 21.

And how do you propose all these teams copy the strategy of Draft Heiskanen?

Its like saying, teams should copy the strategy of drafting a McDavid.  

Yeah, they should, but there are only so many prospects of that calibre and they don't last long in the draft. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

And how do you propose all these teams copy the strategy of Draft Heiskanen?

Its like saying, teams should copy the strategy of drafting a McDavid.  

Yeah, they should, but there are only so many prospects of that calibre and they don't last long in the draft. 

Well aa a starting point you stop trading away your high end dman you do draft.  Tampa’s got two of our former #1 picks that were traded away before they played a game for us in really dumb trades.

Secondly, you try and trade for skilled puck moving dmen instead of Alzner, Chariot and now Edmondaon.  Where were we Theodore was available?

55 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

...  Where were we Theodore was available?

Ducks trade Shea Theodore to Golden Knights to keep Manson, Vatanen

In that specific case, he was only traded because Anaheim miscalculated (IMO) and prioritized the two older defencemen over the youngest of the three ... who quickly became as good or better

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well aa a starting point you stop trading away your high end dman you do draft.  Tampa’s got two of our former #1 picks that were traded away before they played a game for us in really dumb trades.

McDonagh, are you serious? 

Ya, they just trade away top d-men all the time in dumb trades.

Like the Subban one i suppose?

Still havent heard from any of those who ranted endlessly how dumb that one was and now not one word how wrong you were on that one?

6 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Secondly, you try and trade for skilled puck moving dmen instead of Alzner, Chariot and now Edmondaon.  Where were we Theodore was available?

We weren't Vegas, who was the only team who could trade for Theodore as they were the only team that could tell Anaheim, we won't draft Manson if you trade us Theodore. 

6 hours ago, DON said:

McDonagh, are you serious? 

Ya, they just trade away top d-men all the time in dumb trades.

Like the Subban one i suppose?

Still havent heard from any of those who ranted endlessly how dumb that one was and now not one word how wrong you were on that one?

They left Hainsey unprotected on waivers. Not a top dman, but would have been a good top 4 for many years and it was not like we were icing better defencemen in the lineup.

McDonough was our top D prospect and we have him away for a declining and overpaid hope at centre.

Sergechev, who was supposed to be our future top pairing puck-moving dman traded away for a guy Yzerman didn’t want and is at best a middle six winger, who we tried to be the great hope at centre.

and yes, I still think the Subban trade was a bad trade.  He’s been impacted by injuries.  But still was a Norris finalist who went to the cup finals, something we have not even come close to and either did Weber with the Preds.  But it was a lateral move that didn’t make sense, because it didn’t help us advance any further than we did with Subban - and we actually progressed further in the playoffs with Subban than we did with Weber. During the regular season,  Subban had 148 points in Nashville/NJ, Weber had 127.  Both had a couple of years with injuries.

thats three first defencemen drafted in the first round that we lost for nothing. Hainsey and McDonough have had long careers and Sergechev looks like he is one we will regret as much as McDonough.

Subban, don’t know yet if he’s done as being a top dmen, or will continue to slide.  But yes, I still think it was a bad trade, because we gave up the younger player who still was a finalist for norris, but ended up having injury issues the last two years.  At least he’s only got two more years in his deal.  Weber is signed to what 41 or 42?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

We weren't Vegas, who was the only team who could trade for Theodore as they were the only team that could tell Anaheim, we won't draft Manson if you trade us Theodore. 

It does show that Anaheim under valued him and we could have gotten him for an asset.  It’s not like we had a lot of top shelf Dman to protect.  And I think prior to the next expansion draft, you will see teams trading players to other teams if they can’t protect a player and A think he will get taken, if they can get a 1st or 2nd rounder for him.  Florida, Anaheim and Minnesota had their heads up their asses in the last expansion draft. 

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

...  Weber is signed to what 41 or 42?

Not to enter the merits of the trade debate (got enough of that in 2016 and 2017 and still a bit in 2018) but just to note that Weber's real dollar salary is $6M in 20/21 and 21/22 but drops to $3M in 22/23 and then three years at $1M ... point being that I don't expect him to play past 22/23 (why risk your health for $1M at age 37) ... and perhaps not even 21/22 ... 

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Not to enter the merits of the trade debate (got enough of that in 2016 and 2017 and still a bit in 2018) but just to note that Weber's real dollar salary is $6M in 20/21 and 21/22 but drops to $3M in 22/23 and then three years at $1M ... point being that I don't expect him to play past 22/23 (why risk your health for $1M at age 37) ... and perhaps not even 21/22 ... 

I didn’t start the rehash of the subban trade, just responding to Don. we don’t know if Weber will walkway yet. What if he still wants to win a cup? He could probably still contribute in someway (I bet he’s better at 41 than Alzner has been since we got him), but probably won’t be worth the cap hit.  He may be easier to move to a team that is looking to get to the floor, but if you trade him to somewhere he doesn’t want to go, he probably would retire - other teams may fear that and that would make trading him harder. On the flip side, good teams that may want him probably wouldn’t want his cap hit.

I was shocked Vegas was dispatched so easily. That’s not a slag on Dallas, but Vegas seemed like a battle-tested complete team with depth up and down the roster. Oh well.

Tampa’s injuries will complicate its path. A Dallas-NYI series might be the most boring Final imaginable, except for Barzal.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic