Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dlbalr

2020 Playoffs Thread

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I was shocked Vegas was dispatched so easily. That’s not a slag on Dallas, but Vegas seemed like a battle-tested complete team with depth up and down the roster. Oh well.

 

Tampa’s injuries will complicate its path. A Dallas-NYI series might be the most boring Final imaginable, except for Barzal.

Radulov, Benn, Seguin, Pavelski, Klingberg, Heiskanen...

 

Dallas has some exciting players.
 

Eberle was Mr. Cardiac as a junior on team Canada.

 

With that being said, I’d say Dallas can actually be an exciting team whereas NYI are indeed more of a “boring” team to watch. 

I digress when I say this, but Dallas is built very similarly to how I would build a team as a GM. It’s not necessarily the reason they are where they are but they have talent across the lineup, including their “over the hill” veterans like Perry, who I think can be invaluable during a cup run. They’ve been going with more skilled veterans than other teams for a few years now (for example Spezza), and it has finally paid dividends for them. I am not sure that other teams will copy that philosophy, however, in that the league seems to be getting younger. I’ve always been a fan of having a good mix of skilled veterans though (like Kovalchuk), and it seems to have worked out for them this year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I didn’t start the rehash of the subban trade, just responding to Don. we don’t know if Weber will walkway yet. What if he still wants to win a cup? He could probably still contribute in someway (I bet he’s better at 41 than Alzner has been since we got him), but probably won’t be worth the cap hit.  He may be easier to move to a team that is looking to get to the floor, but if you trade him to somewhere he doesn’t want to go, he probably would retire - other teams may fear that and that would make trading him harder. On the flip side, good teams that may want him probably wouldn’t want his cap hit.

Wasn't a shot at you ... just sincerely tired of discussing it with ANYONE ... which is why I removed everything from your post about the trade ... but should have included DON's post before yours to make that clear ... was just addressing the length of Weber's deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I was shocked Vegas was dispatched so easily. That’s not a slag on Dallas, but Vegas seemed like a battle-tested complete team with depth up and down the roster. Oh well.

 

Tampa’s injuries will complicate its path. A Dallas-NYI series might be the most boring Final imaginable, except for Barzal.

I think that they are a team that reminds me of Washington- Chile some leads and lose before they learn what it takes to win.  Don’t know if all the fleury distraction played anything into this. I was rooting for vegas, but gotta be happy for a GM like like jim Nill who has been going all in, since he got the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DON said:

Hainsey? Really.

We lost him for NOTHING and later were making moves to get gens like Douglas friggin Murray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We lost him for NOTHING and later were making moves to get gens like Douglas friggin Murray.

Next you will be going on about why did we get rid of Doug Harvey in 61.

 

You really are digging deep to try and make Habs franchise look bad, but as expected I guess.

 

I am in minority for sure, but loved watching Doug Murray play, entertaining good & bad.:clap:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DON said:

Next you will be going on about why did we get rid of Doug Harvey in 61.

 

You really are digging deep to try and make Habs franchise look bad, but as expected I guess.

 

I am in minority for sure, but loved watching Doug Murray play, entertaining good & bad.:clap:

Yes losing a 20-21 year old 1st overall pick for nothing is the same relevance as Harvey in 61’.

 

We needed dmen and we lost him for mismanagement.  There ls been a lot of that in the last 25+ years where we have won squat.

 

harvey was a dumb decision based on punishing him for his push for a union.  Probably did cost us a cup or 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

They left Hainsey unprotected on waivers. Not a top dman, but would have been a good top 4 for many years and it was not like we were icing better defencemen in the lineup.

 

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We lost him for NOTHING and later were making moves to get gens like Douglas friggin Murray.

 

Hainsey was lost in 2005 (he got claimed on the ill-fated re-entry waiver system at that after clearing regular waivers at the beginning of the year so they lost him by trying to play him) and went on to play on with Columbus, Atlanta, and Carolina before the Habs signed Murray.  Even had the Habs not waived him, there's no guarantee that he'd have remained with the organization for eight more years before they signed Murray in 2013.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minnesota, whose depth chart at centre consisted of Eric Staal, Joel Eriksson Ek, Nick Bjugstad, and Victor Rask, saw fit to trade Staal to Buffalo today for Marcus Johansson, a winger while adding $1.25 million to their cap in the process.  I know Staal is old but he's still productive.  Johansson is coming off a terrible season and while he's younger, he isn't as good.  I'm not quite sure what the Wild are thinking here.  Galchenyuk and Koivu won't be back so they're really banking on trading Dumba for a top centre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We needed dmen and we lost him for mismanagement.  There ls been a lot of that in the last 25+ years where we have won squat.

Yes Sergachev looks like bad swap and poor pro scouting if MB had hoped Drouin was be a needed centre.

Gotta pick your poison i guess and every franchise blows a few deals.

Just dont think that deal and McDonagh are trend, other than being 2 (the worst 2 maybe?)of 50 or 100 bad choices in last 25years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Hainsey was lost in 2005 (he got claimed on the ill-fated re-entry waiver system at that after clearing regular waivers at the beginning of the year so they lost him by trying to play him) and went on to play on with Columbus, Atlanta, and Carolina before the Habs signed Murray.  Even had the Habs not waived him, there's no guarantee that he'd have remained with the organization for eight more years before they signed Murray in 2013.

I thought he was waived to play in the AHL during the lockout but Columbus broke the "Gentleman's Agreement" and claimed him anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I thought he was waived to play in the AHL during the lockout but Columbus broke the "Gentleman's Agreement" and claimed him anyway?

 

That was Francois Beauchemin who was also claimed by Columbus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

 

That was Francois Beauchemin who was also claimed by Columbus.


It’s ancient history, but those were very costly wasted assets. Either guy would have helped improve the blue line in their time. 
 

I guess Habs29’s point is that the Habs have a too-long-standing practice of squandering D-men. You could even add Streit to the list - allowed to walk as a UFA, he emerged as a very good puck moving d-man on the Island.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:


It’s ancient history, but those were very costly wasted assets. Either guy would have helped improve the blue line in their time. 
 

I guess Habs29’s point is that the Habs have a too-long-standing practice of squandering D-men. You could even add Streit to the list - allowed to walk as a UFA, he emerged as a very good puck moving d-man on the Island.

Yeah, main point is that we managed our young D assets very poorly. Than had a long string of bad picks or prospects that didn’t pan out line Tinordi or Beaulieu.

 

I have to admit, I wasn’t upset about Streit not being resigned - although I wanted to trade him. I thought he was entirely a product of Markov, but he had some very good years on his own and I think he was also a captain.  Hated the roll the dice move to bring him back though. One of many hail Mary’s (Briere, Semin, pleks return), to address big holes in the lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hainsey was lost under Gainey (Nov 2005)

Beauchemin was lost under Gainey too (Sep 2004)

 

I am not sure I got allof the palyers lost to waivers, I have added some of the UFAs we let walk and that I remember feeling we should have tried to keep a bit longer

 

Under Gainey (including some UFAs):
Francois Beauchemin - Lost to Waivers

 

Yanic Perreault   - UFA

Ron Hainsey        - Lost to Waivers

Radek Bonk          - UFA

Sheldon Souray   - UFA

Mark Streit          - UFA

Michael Ryder    - UFA
Alex Tanguay       - UFA
Alexei Kovalev     - UFA
Francis Bouillon    - UFA
Mathieu Schneider  - UFA
Patrice Brisebois     - UFA
Robert Lang              - UFA
Saku Koivu               - UFA
 

Under Gauthier(including some UFAs):

Dominic Moore  - UFA
Glen Metropolit  - UFA
Marc-Andre Bergeron  - UFA
Benoit Pouliot   - UFA

Jeff Halpern       - UFA
Roman Hamrlik - UFA

 

Under Bergevin(including some UFAs):

Yannick Weber  - UFA

Jeff Halpern      - UFA

Michael Ryder   - UFA (again)

Brian Gionta      - UFA
Devan Dubnyk     - UFA
Thomas Vanek   - UFA

Alexander Radulov - UFA
Andrei Markov    - UFA
Daniel Carr          - UFA

Brett Lernout      - UFA

Jacob de la Rose  - Lost to Waivers

Kenny Agostino    - Lost to Waivers

Nikita Scherbak    - Lost to Waivers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 You could even add Streit to the list - allowed to walk as a UFA, he emerged as a very good puck moving d-man on the Island.

Allowed to walk, because he got offered a nice overpayment ($4.1/yr in 2008) contract by Islanders.

Souray i thought at the time, should of been dealt before walking as UFA for nice big Oiler contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Minnesota, whose depth chart at centre consisted of Eric Staal, Joel Eriksson Ek, Nick Bjugstad, and Victor Rask, saw fit to trade Staal to Buffalo today for Marcus Johansson, a winger while adding $1.25 million to their cap in the process.  I know Staal is old but he's still productive.  Johansson is coming off a terrible season and while he's younger, he isn't as good.  I'm not quite sure what the Wild are thinking here.  Galchenyuk and Koivu won't be back so they're really banking on trading Dumba for a top centre.

I don't know Dumba that well.  Would he be that bad playing off position as a LD ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DON said:

Allowed to walk, because he got offered a nice overpayment ($4.1/yr in 2008) contract by Islanders.

Souray i thought at the time, should of been dealt before walking as UFA for nice big Oiler contract.

 

But that contract turned out to be very smart by the Isles. In other words, they were right to sign Streit, we were wrong to let him walk.

 

As for Souray, I was baffled at the time that we kept him, given that the team at the time was garbage and had no chance of doing any damage even if it squeaked into the playoffs. He could have secured a king's ransom.

 

God bless Bob, but he sure made a lot of mistakes. Letting Hainsey and Beauchemin go for nothing...giving up Ribeiro for free, when the franchise had zero C...letting Souray and Streit walk...losing Grabovski for a bottom-pairing D-man on a team desperate for C...the Gomez disaster, of course...it just was not an era marked by strong asset management.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

I don't know Dumba that well.  Would he be that bad playing off position as a LD ?

 

I expect that if MB managed to get Dumba it would be because negotiations with Petry weren't going well  OR  he received one or two incredible offers for Jeff and wants to shore up the right-side before making that deal ... Dumba is no Petry but in that scenario the comparison is not Dumba against Petry but the before and after roster as a whole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tampa gets it done. Stars vs Lightning is the Stanley Cup Final. First game is Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McDonagh and Sergachev about to lift the Cup 😪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Neech said:

McDonagh and Sergachev about to lift the Cup 😪

 

 

Elite D-men traded for a washed-up bum in Gomez, and an inconsistent floater who fluctuates between being a 3rd and 2nd line caliber winger in Drouin 🤮

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Elite D-men traded for a washed-up bum in Gomez, and an inconsistent floater who fluctuates between being a 3rd and 2nd line caliber winger in Drouin 🤮

 

To quote Peter Trueman ... "That is not news. But that, too, is reality"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think either is an elite dman.  Not today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't think either is an elite dman.  Not today.

McDonough is nearing the end of his career, but contributing to a cup win, while Gomez is fishing somewhere.

Sergechev while still making mistakes, also makes big mistakes and is getting better every year in the toughest position in hockey and is in top 4 in the best team in hockey.

 

Drouin is overpaid, lazy and unproductive and a guy most would like to see get moved, but the return would be underwhelming unless packaged with additional assets.  We can only hope that there is another dumb GM who will give something of value for him, or he at least shows up for half of his games.


I think you can safely say we got fleeced in both deal. I also think both McDonough and Sergechev  would still look great on our top 4 and probably immensely improve our pop gun power play.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I don't think either is an elite dman.  Not today.

 

McDonough used to be and Sergachev is well on his way.  Hopefully Romanov will help us forget about the Sergachev trade. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...