Aug 12- Game One - ECQF - Habs-Flyers 8 PM

57 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

Habs go on a Cinderella run under Muller.

Oh oh, riots gonna break out in Montreal with an English head coach...

Mete is frustrating to watch as he wheels incredibly well, can be very shifty and make a nice play to buy himself time in d zone but then primarily makes a dump or bad pass that results in opposition regaining zone access with a now tired Habs crew on the ice.   He has not stood out as being anchored down by Ouellette, they are both AHL calibre.

Edited by hockeyrealist

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Heart attack?

Marc Bergevin's full statement regarding Claude Julien, in essence:

Claude Julien ... experienced chest pain during the night ... he's undergoing tests to determine the exact nature of his condition. This has nothing to do with COVID.  

We don't expect him to be back during this series against the Flyers.  Kirk [Muller] ... (associate head coach) will assume the responsibility of head coach until Claude's return.

Doesn't sound like a heart attack as such, it would already be diagnosed, but doesn't sound good ... at age 60, after 18 seasons as a NHL head coach and two years left on his contract that would be paid out, it might be tempting (even smart) for him to stay away and call it quits after the playoffs.

Thoughts with Claude and his family for a speedy recovery.

55 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

First and foremost I hope CJ is okay.

As for Mete, I think it is absurd to play him on his off wing to begin with. How is Mete on his off-side paired with Oulette the best option we have?

Give us Mete and Fleury

I'll agree about Fleury, but of the two LHD I think that Ouellette has contributed more

Just now, GHT120 said:

Marc Bergevin's full statement regarding Claude Julien, in essence:

Claude Julien ... experienced chest pain during the night ... he's undergoing tests to determine the exact nature of his condition. This has nothing to do with COVID.  

We don't expect him to be back during this series against the Flyers.  Kirk [Muller] ... (associate head coach) will assume the responsibility of head coach until Claude's return.

Doesn't sound like a heart attack as such, it would already be diagnosed, but doesn't sound good ... at age 60, after 18 seasons as a NHL head coach and two years left on his contract that would be paid out, it might be tempting (even smart) for him to stay away and call it quits after the playoffs

Folks who suffer heart attacks are often advised to avoid stress. That does not bode well for CH’s future as a coach, sadly. But more important right now is just that he recover and get healthy.

I found the reference to Muller’s unilingualism in the press release really irritating. As if they have to apologize for making an Anglo the temporary head coach in a crisis..,Jeebus 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... I found the reference to Muller’s unilingualism in the press release really irritating. As if they have to apologize for making an Anglo the temporary head coach in a crisis..,Jeebus 

Learning from the Cunneyworth experience, being proactive to cut off those in the French media who would make a stink ... also hopefully avoids Kirk having to answer questions about being unilingual ... 

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I found the reference to Muller’s unilingualism in the press release really irritating. As if they have to apologize for making an Anglo the temporary head coach in a crisis..,Jeebus 

Irritating, but no surprise, given Quebec's folks open mindedness and welcoming...oops i got that backwards.:popcorn:

7 minutes ago, DON said:

Irritating, but no surprise, given Quebec's folks open mindedness and welcoming...oops i got that backwards.:popcorn:

Most Quebecois don't care whether or not the Habs head coach is French ... they just want a coach who does a good job ... but a vocal minority, especially a cadre of journalists, stir the pot.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

IMO Ouellette is outplaying Mete, if only for his contributions (4th D) on a thus far successful PK ... against a more physical Flyers team I would sub Fleury for Mete ... don't think it would be fair to depend on Juulsen in a playoff series given he has not played an NHL game since December 17, 2018 (but I see him as part of the D next season) and I'm not certain Folin is an upgrade on Xavier ... Folin is a pending UFA and Ouellette a pending RFA ... my guess is that Folin leaves and Ouellette gets re-signed to a one-way deal (for less than the limit that can be buried in the AHL at no cap cost) to be available as a 7/6 D if needed.

As for Weise, not certain his willingness to drop the gloves is enough to keep him in the lineup ... but it is an asset the others don't bring ... ***if*** Evans is healthy he would be my choice (think there is a good chance he is the 4C next season)  ... I lean towards Poehling over Weal because of the experience it would give him going forward ... but in terms of expected production Weal might be slightly ahead of Ryan (Ouellette outscored him last season in Laval) ... Hudon would be a hugely surprising choice IMO, but if they are looking to optimize the chance for 4th line offence he does have the most skill (IMO) 

Ouellet is also playing his natural side. Mete is being put in a bad position by the fact Ouellet is in the lineup. 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Ouellet is also playing his natural side. Mete is being put in a bad position by the fact Ouellet is in the lineup. 

Perhaps ... but if Mete was valued on the PK he could play his regular side killing penalties ... my point was largely that Xavier has a role beyond 5-on-5 ... also, Flyers are a more physical team then Pens and that disadvantages Mete in the defensive zone ... 

23 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Does anyone think that Captain Kirk will change the lineup in a significant way?

Possible. But I’m more concerned about the loss of Julien’s bench-management savvy. Look at how CJ owned Sullivan in Round One...the experience and Cup record...all that instils a confidence in CJ I don’t necessarily have in Captain Kirk, much as I love the guy.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Possible. But I’m more concerned about the loss of Julien’s bench-management savvy. Look at how CJ owned Sullivan in Round One...the experience and Cup record...all that instils a confidence in CJ I don’t necessarily have in Captain Kirk, much as I love the guy.

Learn us some bench maneuvers ol’ wise cucumber.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Learn us some bench maneuvers ol’ wise cucumber.

There is a reason I am not currently the head coach of the Montreal Canadiens - let alone a respectable organization 😉 And it's not because I don't speak French!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Perhaps ... but if Mete was valued on the PK he could play his regular side killing penalties ... my point was largely that Xavier has a role beyond 5-on-5 ... also, Flyers are a more physical team then Pens and that disadvantages Mete in the defensive zone ... 

If you are worried about physicality... both Juulsen and Fleury are more physical than Ouellet.

That said, i dont see the flyers as an overly physical team.  They are deep and talented but they arent the broad street bullies.

We were probably more physical than they were in game 1.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

If you are worried about physicality... both Juulsen and Fleury are more physical than Ouellet.

That said, i dont see the flyers as an overly physical team.  They are deep and talented but they arent the broad street bullies.

We were probably more physical than they were in game 1.

I like this. I also think our foot speed was lacking in game 1.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Same here.  I thought that was completely tone-deaf. 

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Most Quebecois don't care whether or not the Habs head coach is French ... they just want a coach who does a good job ... but a vocal minority, especially a cadre of journalists, stir the pot.

I agree with this statement, we are on the board! The vocal minority definitely stirs the pot in alot of situations..

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Which is weird because didn't Ouellet play on the right side a bit in Laval? Unless they're trying to see if Mete has a long-term future on his off-side (ala Jordie Benn) I just don't get it.

41 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Which is weird because didn't Ouellet play on the right side a bit in Laval? Unless they're trying to see if Mete has a long-term future on his off-side (ala Jordie Benn) I just don't get it.

Same here, I thought it would be like you say : Mete on his natural side.

Ouellet had mostly played RD in Detroit if I am not mistaken

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

i don't see the point they are trying to prove by playing Mete on his wrong side in the playoffs. He has very little minutes playing at the NHL level on the right as he as played predominantly on his left. For Ouellet???? I get not wanting to dress so many rookies but theres room for Fleury, especially with Suzuki looking like the best player on our team in the not so distant future if he is not already.. I just feel playoffs is his brand of hockey and he'll do well... The same reason Im ready to get a look at Poehling. I wanna see if playoffs are in their blood.

Mete Fleury is the evolution of the 3rd pair in this series. It has to be...