HABS VS FLYERS IN TORONTO ON AUGUST 14 @ 15:00 ET

illWill

So What your saying is yesterday was the Ist time we saw both 1st and 2nd pp units in  action with mostly same handed shots (4+1) and they went 3 for 7or 42.8% Success. 

Cause as shown above, nothing has been updated to show new PP units even so the

Line Combos are accurate in relation to Game 2 lineup.

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Interesting. That writer is still pretty confident in his Flyers. 

The Trident will have its work cut out next game, what with all this “get bodies in front of Price” stuff. Weber and Chiarot need to do this thing where you always end up on your ass with a stick bonking you in the back after every whistle.

The key is skating. It’s not clear that the Flyers have an answer when the Habs crank that up. 

This will be a very tough contest. If the Habs win it, it’s huge, and signals the realistic possibility of a long run.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This will be a very tough contest. If the Habs win it, it’s huge, and signals the realistic possibility of a long run.

In a best of 5 again.

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

So What your saying is yesterday was the Ist time we saw both 1st and 2nd pp units in  action with mostly same handed shots (4+1) and they went 3 for 7or 42.8% Success. 

Cause as shown above, nothing has been updated to show new PP units even so the

Line Combos are accurate in relation to Game 2 lineup.

I don't know what to tell you.  Go back and check the film or the TOI data from Game 1, Drouin-Suzuki-Gallagher with Petry and Weber was the unit they used, even if Daily Faceoff didn't bother to update their power play combos on their website.  (They're good for updating ES lines but the rest, not so much.)  I'm going to trust what actually happened over the lines listed on a website.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Interesting. That writer is still pretty confident in his Flyers. 

The Trident will have its work cut out next game, what with all this “get bodies in front of Price” stuff. Weber and Chiarot need to do this thing where you always end up on your ass with a stick bonking you in the back after every whistle.

The key is skating. It’s not clear that the Flyers have an answer when the Habs crank that up. 

Exactly!!!

skate skate skate... we are tough to beat when we are implementing a high forecheck. Play like that till Flyers can counter it.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I don't know what to tell you.  Go back and check the film or the TOI data from Game 1, Drouin-Suzuki-Gallagher with Petry and Weber was the unit they used, even if Daily Faceoff didn't bother to update their power play combos on their website.  (They're good for updating ES lines but the rest, not so much.)  I'm going to trust what actually happened over the lines listed on a website.

So we are saying the exact same thing... yesterday was the first game action were the 2nd unit (4 lefties and 1 righty) actually got minutes in game action (specifically Mete replacing petry) And  game 1 we saw the 1st unit score  on there only PP and it was 4 righties and 1 lefty... finally they are getting it... its only been 3 lost seasons.

Still need to figure out how to enter the zone cleanly without dumping and retrieving. Also, I freakin hate the drop pass by the D entering the neutral zone every single time. Occasionally OK but every time?

7 hours ago, DON said:

Hudon had a fine rookie season.

Fine seems a bit much ... but whatever descriptor one uses, Hudon has "earned" less TOI, and fewer games, each season since ... on a team short of pure offensive skill

9 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

So we are saying the exact same thing... yesterday was the first game action were the 2nd unit (4 lefties and 1 righty) actually got minutes in game action (specifically Mete replacing petry) And  game 1 we saw the 1st unit score  on there only PP and it was 4 righties and 1 lefty... finally they are getting it... its only been 3 lost seasons.

Remember, they've tried the 4 one hand, 1 the other hand before and the success has been iffy which is why they haven't stuck with it for long.  I took a look at the best combos during the regular season on the power play - Weber with Petry had a bit of a success and probably was worth a longer look but their most successful units were two lefty forwards and two righties.

http://www.cs.unb.ca/~mwf/habs/2019-20/regseason/pp.html

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Remember, they've tried the 4 one hand, 1 the other hand before and the success has been iffy which is why they haven't stuck with it for long.  I took a look at the best combos during the regular season on the power play - Weber with Petry had a bit of a success and probably was worth a longer look but their most successful units were two lefty forwards and two righties.

http://www.cs.unb.ca/~mwf/habs/2019-20/regseason/pp.html

The Habs really don't have a defenceman other than Weber and Petry who belongs on the PP

IMO the leftie/righty issue is important for how the traditional QB and the Bomber interact ... a RH shot QB on the right/middle point can position themselves to pass to a RH-Bomber on the left point/sidewall while still being able to shoot or pass elsewhere without twisting his body or moving his feet to do so ... (reverse for LH shots) ... but for other players it is somewhat less so, the correct players are IMO more important than how they shoot ... Habs just are short of ideal PP guys.

Im ok with a 3:2 ratio as well but only when the primary QB on the PP in the umbrella is at the top of the umbrella. The QB then needs a righty on the left boards and a lefty on the right boards as to create any resemblance of actual danger chances or they end up playing catch with there sticks...

if the QB is on the left boards ala drouin (markov in the past)  then the top of the umbrella needs to be a lefty as well as on the right boards to find open lanes for one timers or such as well as opening up the back door pass to the QB when the players down low rotate. That way when the players aren't stagnant and are moving around  finding lanes and creating space, the sticks are always in positions for one timers and give and goes.

If Suzuki is the QB from the right boards then he needs petry and weber at the top and left boards as another example...It wont work with Suzuki on the right and Drouin on the left... puck just ends up rotating around the boards till its pinched and cleared by the PK unit especially if they are using a pressure PK  rather then withdrawn like Pitt did. 

so to summarize 

Left QB = 3 lefties on the top of umbrella

Right QB= 3 righties “

top QB = lefty to the right, righty to the left

obviously this doesn’t address our biggest issue which I believe is zone entry and control, which is a whole other matter to begin with.

As for trying this already...The Habs at no time ever gave this an extended look... meaning more then 5 to 10 games. At the end of the day, the PP has been atrocious for more then 3 seasons ( I miss u Markov) and if going 3 for 7 or 43% is just freak luck so be it. But I for one believe that if they stick to this look for an extended time we will finally get out of this PP purgatory we’ve been in for what seems an eternity.

17 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The Habs really don't have a defenceman other than Weber and Petry who belongs on the PP

IMO the leftie/righty issue is important for how the traditional QB and the Bomber interact ... a RH shot QB on the right/middle point can position themselves to pass to a RH-Bomber on the left point/sidewall while still being able to shoot or pass elsewhere without twisting his body or moving his feet to do so ... (reverse for LH shots) ... but for other players it is somewhat less so, the correct players are IMO more important than how they shoot ... Habs just are short of ideal PP guys.

Which is true if everyone stays where they are and the PK box is withdrawn taking away lanes with there sticks. But the moment the PK is activated like say Pitt series and players have to move which is ideal, then all is lost. 

Part of being the correct players is putting them in the correct spot... for example Drouin on the left boards and Suzuki on the right cancel each other out.

1 minute ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Which is true if everyone stays where they are and the PK box is withdrawn taking away lanes with there sticks. But the moment the PK is activated like say Pitt series and players have to move which is ideal, then all is lost. 

Which is why I only linked the "handedness" of QB and the Bomber as being important ... not saying movement is not integral to a good PP, it is ... but the QB will spend most of his PP TOI along the blueline and the Bomber at the blueline or down the side "opposite" of his shot ... once either of those leave their "usual" spots then all that matters is for all players positioning themselves to be able to take a good shot or make a good pass ... or screen the goalie ... but why not at least optimize one pair of players.

20 minutes ago, DON said:

Mete had 2 ppa's & played 4:04 on the PP yesterday, he had played 3:20 on the PP in total this reg season.

Mete to the power play 

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Mete had 2 ppa's & played 4:04 on the PP yesterday, he had played 3:20 on the PP in total this reg season.

So is Mete on the PP suddenly the solution?  Doubt it ... the first assist was a good pass to the wide-open Tartar for his second goal ... but the other was just a neutral zone head-manning of the puck

Friday was a hustle-won and  well-deserved "downhill game" .... meaning that the Habs earned control of that game through their hard work, but it became a proverbial game of the ice being tilted downhill for the Habs ... almost everything went right

5 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Agree 👍 

Me  too

It is almost always the key to having a good game.

3 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Mete to the power play 

Something different worked and him playing 4:00 PP time is huge change, over the 0:04/game of reg season.

Julien just wasnt a fan i guess.

2 minutes ago, DON said:

Something different worked and him playing 4:00 PP time is huge change, over the 0:04/game of reg season.

It was more about the fact that the Habs put Weber and Petry back on the same unit, instead of splitting them.  That means at least 1 D has to be added to the second unit.  Again, a decision that was made before Game 1, so Julien was involved. 

12 minutes ago, DON said:

And you apparently are a HUGE fan ... time will tell if Mete remains a productive PP contributor

At the end of the day, we are running at 43% for the series thus far on the PP.  So whoever made those subtle changes good on them, We cant possibly expect a deep run without our PP contributing. What a good PP could mean to this team with Price dialled in,  a top4  playing the way they are and a revitalized forward group led by a two surging kid C’s and the BDL line (who I think has been our very best line) could very well be the difference.